Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Gas Monkey Garage Find

Old 04-08-2018, 09:05 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Gas Monkey Garage Find

Anyone watch the recent Gas Monkey Garage episode? Richard found a 1987 944 Turbo with 1500 original miles. The car was a time capsule. He paid $35,000 for it if I remember correctly. How does that happen?
Old 04-08-2018, 09:49 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,449 Likes on 956 Posts

Yes

Car was amazingly well preserved
Old 04-09-2018, 12:49 AM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

That is a true shame these cars were made to be driven, not sit in someone's garage as a trophy.
Old 04-09-2018, 04:12 AM
LUCKY DAVE
Racer

Location: Encinitas, ca PCA National DE instructor PCA San Diego chief driving instructor
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a "reality" show, ie fake.
Everything on TV is fake.
My son (Captain) used to be on a tuna fishing reality show, all the "spontaneous" personality interaction and drama is scripted, as are the session with the "Buyer" (the buyer doesn't stand around shivering in the middle of the night, the clown on camera is just a truck driver. The fish is cut and cored so the Captain can decide which auction he wants his fish sent to, - New York, L.A. or Tokyo - the fish always goes to an auction). My son laughed when he told me the only way to get paid $36/lb for the skinny mediocre fish I see on that show is.....be on TV.
My nephew works at a talent agency in Hollywood, his stories are hilarious too.
The truth is, If bull**** glowed in the dark you could see Hollywood from Jupiter.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:06 AM
EVOMMM
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 908 Posts

Totally agree ☝️ I saw him at the Ferrari dealer in nyc looking at a new 488 in Grigio
nice guy though
mike
Old 04-09-2018, 08:24 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by LUCKY DAVE
If bull**** glowed in the dark you could see Hollywood from Jupiter.
Hhaha good 1!
Old 04-10-2018, 05:30 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LUCKY DAVE
It's a "reality" show, ie fake.
Everything on TV is fake.
My son (Captain) used to be on a tuna fishing reality show, all the "spontaneous" personality interaction and drama is scripted, as are the session with the "Buyer" (the buyer doesn't stand around shivering in the middle of the night, the clown on camera is just a truck driver. The fish is cut and cored so the Captain can decide which auction he wants his fish sent to, - New York, L.A. or Tokyo - the fish always goes to an auction). My son laughed when he told me the only way to get paid $36/lb for the skinny mediocre fish I see on that show is.....be on TV.
My nephew works at a talent agency in Hollywood, his stories are hilarious too.
The truth is, If bull**** glowed in the dark you could see Hollywood from Jupiter.
Not necessarily true. The company I work for was featured in the second season of Ice Road Truckers - the one where they were moving rigs in the Arctic. I set up the initial meeting with the producers and the companies they would be dealing with. The show required their main characters to be hired by one of the companies working on the project - they couldn't work for us because they didn't have the proper experience. However, none of the interactions or activities involving our crews were "scripted". Did they over dramatize or sensationalize things? Most definitely. For example, the ice roads are government regulated and checked for thickness, etc. The show tried to make it seem like a truck could fall through at any time. They don't because we know what we are doing and don't put our people at unnecessary risk.

As for Richard, I met him on Bullrun. I was a competitor and had a good time during the event. However, the only time we saw Richard was when the cameras came out. He definitely was on a mission to get himself on TV. I'm not saying Gas Monkey isn't scripted, just pointing out that not all shows are scripted.
Old 05-13-2018, 10:33 PM
HkPlinker
Three Wheelin'

Received 138 Likes on 104 Posts

So, as far as the 944t. It was offered at auction with Worldwide Auctions in Monterey, August 17, 2017 and hammered for $ 47,000 (plus a 10% buyer's fee) for a whopping $ 51,700

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gas Monkey Garage Find