Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

X-post Spiro loc install headache and question

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 08:02 PM
steven74
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X-post Spiro loc install headache and question

I am reassembling my hybrid stroker short block 2.85 and am trying to install the spiro locs in the pistons. The je/srp piston comes with 2 locks per side of the retaining pin for a total of 4 per piston. After watching many videos and trying to just install the locks, I am still having a hard time getting them installed. I know there is a tool available for the .927 chevy wrist pin size for $38 but many of the videos show just using your fingers to install them. I have done many piston jobs with the regular c clip type but never used spiro locs before. Looking for any help from people with experience before I end up ordering the tool.
Old 03-25-2018, 10:05 PM
steven74
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by steven74
Hi all.
I am reassembling my hybrid stroker short block 2.85 and am trying to install the spiro locs in the pistons. The je/srp piston comes with 2 locks per side of the retaining pin for a total of 4 per piston. After watching many videos and trying to just install the locks, I am still having a hard time getting them installed. I know there is a tool available for the .927 chevy wrist pin size for $38 but many of the videos show just using your fingers to install them. I have done many piston jobs with the regular c clip type but never used spiro locs before. Looking for any help from people with experience before I end up ordering the tool.
I was able to get it figured out after a few hours. The second ring took about 30 seconds. That's how it goes. The simple way is to stretch the ring out like a coil about 3/8 inch and thread in the first tip. Then use your fingers and a plastic trim tool to work it in the groove. Pulling a little up on the outside part help force it into the groove.

Quick Reply: X-post Spiro loc install headache and question