Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

LR billet fuel rail noise?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2004, 08:56 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 983 Likes on 509 Posts

Tony,
Yes they are aluminum and yes they may be more prone to cracking. Point well taken. Curious, have you heard of one cracking? I know Goodrige makes stainless versions.
Alan C.
Old 01-04-2004, 09:15 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alan C

I've not see one from Lindsey crack, but I've seen the exact same aluminum fittings break/crack many times in the past used on different applications (not the Lindsey fuel rail). I've seen it happen on anything from fuel feeds, to oil fittings, to air conditioning fittings.

The aluminum can't deal with the vibrations if the fitting is directly or indirectly connected to the engine (ie. fitting bolted to the fuel rail, and the fuel rail is bolted to the head).

The problem seems to be with the vibrations produced by the large bore 4 cylinder engines.

When the aluminum fittings start to crack... they go.. and real fast whereas the steel fittings, when cracked, stay cracked, and don't open up like the aluminum fittings do. The damn aluminum just breaks. You can figure out where that can go from there.

I won't use aluminum on anything ever if it's bolted to the engine.

But... if it wasn't fuel related, I wouldn't have made the comment.

Note: This doesn't apply to the aluminum fuel rail. These are much thicker and won't have the same types of problems with vibrations. The fittings, especially the ones that have a 45 or 180, stick out quite far. It's these that have the problems.

TonyG
Old 01-05-2004, 02:46 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 983 Likes on 509 Posts

Tony,
Thanks for the input. I'll add it to my list of things to update.
Alan C.
Old 01-05-2004, 11:43 PM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

FYI - Out of curiosity I replaced the line that goes from the front of the rail to the hard line with a teflon lined SS braided rubber hose which does not have the hard plastic inner lining. It quietened the knocking a little but did not eliminate it. There was no excess length or loops in that piece, it was 28" long with a 90 degree fitting on the end rather than a 180.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:00 PM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Ski
Ok...Jim (jwl) is having computer problems or network problems. I'm going to post the two pictures.

The first one is just an ATTEMPT to get rid of the noise. It's 100 % gone. It's ugly, not practical and you just wouldn't do it; but the noise is gone.

The second is a modification of the first, shorter hoses were made and it was installed in the fender well area. Again, noise 100% gone, car ran fine. I'm going to send this Dave Linidsey, he can send it to Marren and maybe they can come up with something. I am going to try something different when I install my rail; I'm going to install a pc of rubber fuel hose in the fender well, make it have three coils and then hook to the new fuel line similar to below. My theory is the three coils will act as a damper. We'll see if I can get that done with my 89 tranny next week. Here is Jims second picture - installed and operating - no noise.

Thanks Jim for working on it. Good job; we now know it can be eliminated. I'll send the pics to Lindsey so they can forward them to Marren.
Ski, could you please post these pictures again ?

Quick Reply: LR billet fuel rail noise?