Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Stiff stick

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 09:49 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts
Default Stiff stick

If I tighten it down, 21nm, it is very hard to move; To get it to behave right, I have to loosen the bolts quite a bit—too loose. What gives?

Could it be that I lubed it all up with regular wheel bearing grease?

Old 03-10-2018, 01:41 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

are you talking about the 2x M8 bolts that hold the lever plate to the torque tube?

didn't even know there was a torque spec for those, i just make them as tight as my wrist holding the head of the ratchet can make them, probably a little less than 21 nm.
Old 03-10-2018, 05:36 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Yep--those are the bolts. The value is 21 nm or 15 lbs ft. However, it's not the torque; as soon as I begin to feel them getting fastened, the lever begins to get real tight, like I'm rowing it through wet concrete.

I guess I'll take it out, clean all the grease I put on the plastic ball thing underneath, and try again. Strange. But.. I got other issues first... like the new clutch slave install & bleed with Motive bleeder.. all looks good.. but the pedal just snaps down and stays there. Geez....

Will the winter-long clutch job never end?!?!?

Last edited by Dan Martinic; 03-10-2018 at 06:38 PM.
Old 03-11-2018, 03:16 AM
Dave W.
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The plastic piece needs to be oriented correctly. Look closely at the bottom, it has a slight cup shape that matches the curve of the torque tube.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:33 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dave W.
The plastic piece needs to be oriented correctly. Look closely at the bottom, it has a slight cup shape that matches the curve of the torque tube.
Bingo. Thank you.

It almost looks right 90deg off, but, of course, it isn't

Now.. if you can solve my clutch pedal, much appreciate it. Off to buy more brake fluid.. note to reader: when ordering ATE fluid, unavailable locally, buy 2 cans or you'll be stuck mixing in the local stuff (my patience for shipping has run out)

This time, with the pressure bleeder hooked full of fluid, I'll have my kid pump the pedal as I open the bleed screw at the new slave. Hope that's correct
Old 03-11-2018, 12:39 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Martinic
...This time, with the pressure bleeder hooked full of fluid, I'll have my kid pump the pedal as I open the bleed screw at the new slave. Hope that's correct
I use a Motive for brakes only now as I’ve found reverse bleeding the clutch system using the oil can method much more efficient and effective. Really google it and watch the YouTube video, saves a lot of work.

Also I never put any fluid in my Motive pressure bleeder, I simply use it dry to apply head pressure to the reservoir. Saves on cleaning and just as effective.
Old 03-11-2018, 01:04 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

^^i need to do my clutch cylinders soon and am thinking i'll use a mityvac to either pull fluid down to the slave, or, hook the vac to the master cylinder and figure a way to pull fluid UP the system to get bubbles out.

i used this thing when doing my subaru brakes last year and it actually worked to PULL the fluid to the calipers (there is not a Motive adapter for my year range of Subaru and my "homemade adapter" didnt work)

Trending Topics

Old 03-11-2018, 01:16 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Hooked up the Motive again, fluid in it, pressure to 1bar, but this time my kid pushed on the clutch pedal as I opened the screw.

First time, the pedal went down and stayed down.

Second round, same.

Third time... guess it is the charm. Pedal up... clutch firm.

For brakes, I used to use my compressor for just air... then got tired of constantly taking apart.. adding fluid.. taking apart.. adding fluid...

This Motive thing is excellent. Wish I got the smaller one though
Old 03-11-2018, 02:02 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
^^i need to do my clutch cylinders soon and am thinking i'll use a mityvac to either pull fluid down to the slave, or, hook the vac to the master cylinder and figure a way to pull fluid UP the system to get bubbles out....
I vote for pulling fluid up as working with those rising air bubbles is better than working against them.

Originally Posted by Dan Martinic
Third time... guess it is the charm. Pedal up... clutch firm.

For brakes, I used to use my compressor for just air... then got tired of constantly taking apart.. adding fluid.. taking apart.. adding fluid..
Good job, sometimes a combination of Motive and pedal is enough to shift those stubborn air bubbles

...and yes the full Motive helps with top-ups though I’ve normally done it in two takes with an empty Motive and it saves me the Motive cleanup, I suppose I’m just lazy when it comes to cleaning things.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:21 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Motive cleanup? I just leave the fluid in it. Between three vehicles, I'm usually changing brake fluid once or twice a year
Old 03-12-2018, 12:33 AM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

I am surprised this thread lasted this long without going in the ditch with having a stiff stick after tightening your nuts.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:51 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Turns out the plastic ***** under the shaft are very forgiving; had mine cracked, I'd surely have problems
Old 03-13-2018, 08:27 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

I tried the Mityvac method for bleeding the clutch. I remember the bleeder on the slave was a problem as air would get sucked in around the threads once it was loose. My solution was to pack some grease around there but it was still a waste of time compared to using a Motive.

Quick Reply: Stiff stick