Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Momo steering wheel install question

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 08:55 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Momo steering wheel install question

I'm in the process of installing a Momo Model 78 wheel on my 968 track car, and the link to a procedure on the 968 forum has been very helpful. I've installed the wiper connector (part number 928-652-104-00), have placed a 3 ohm resistor across the appropriate connector leads to prevent the air bag light from going on, and identified the wire that's got +12V when the key is on, which should constitute the "hot" lead to the horn button. Here's how it looks so far:

The brown/white wire hanging down is the wire that was connected to the old clock spring, and gives +12? when the key is on. I'm assuming this wire should connect to ones of the connectors on the back of the horn button. The other connector on the back of the horn button should go to ground, which should be established via the wire coming from the hub adapter which is attached to the conductive strip on the back of the adapter, which pushes against the wiper connector shown in the picture above, which should be grounded. Here's a picture of the wiper connector next to the hub adapter, which shows everything I'm describing:

Just one problem: when I place my voltmeter between the hot wire and the wiper connector with the key in the on position, I get no reading. The wiper connector is not connected to ground, in other words. When I touch the ground lead on my voltmeter against the steering shaft, or any other chassis ground, I get a solid 12+ volts. I've removed the wiper connector and tried jamming my voltmeter lead into the hold the wiper connector goes into, and still nothing. Any ideas what to check or try next? I've never been an avid horn user, so I can't say with certainty whether the horn ever worked correctly with the stock wheel, but it seems strange for ground to have disappeared as the failure mechanism, so it seems like I must be missing something. Thanks.
Old 03-04-2018, 11:32 AM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

OK, I've figure it out - it turns out the hole that the wiper connector goes into is actually also connected to a source of +12V with the key on. I had assumed it was, or should be, connected to ground, because that brown/white wire that was connected to the stock clock spring is connected to +12V, as stated above. So I need to use the wire on my hub adapter that's connected to the brass ring on its back that makes contact with the wiper connector as the hot lead for the horn button, and find a source of ground for its other connector. The body of the hub adapter, which is connected to the grounded steering shaft, should do the trick.
Old 08-10-2021, 09:22 PM
Chapman951
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Reviving an old thread here....

My 87 951 does not have the hole for the “L” shaped connector to use the horn.

Anyone worked around this problem?

my cruise control stalk was cut off incase that’s throwing anyone off.

Thanks guys

Old 08-10-2021, 09:46 PM
Chapman951
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

I’m starting to think I need to drill a hole...
Old 12-15-2022, 07:26 PM
TWSTDVW
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

For models that came with an airbag - This is the connector piece that is needed! - https://www.porscheatlantaperimeterp.../N0175994.html

Cylindrical Socket Clip

Part Number: N0175994

Quick Reply: Momo steering wheel install question