Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Tires Toyo proxes R1R’s or Bridgestone RE71r

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 06:57 PM
Dkritz944
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Tires Toyo proxes R1R’s or Bridgestone RE71r

as title states, in 215 17 45 fronts and 245 17 40 rear....both very similar price and seem to wear pretty much the same. I drive car about 5k miles a year.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:24 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I follow the latest tire tests and reviews pretty closely, and from what I've read, it isn't even close - the RE71R consistently comes out on top of pretty much every tire comparison test I've read in the past few years. The Toyo R1R is a very old design which scored no better than mid-pack in a test Car and Driver did several years ago. Both at the pointy end of summer performance rubber, so neither will give long tread life, and I think both are noisy as hell, but as long as you're aware of that, it isn't even a contest - the Bridgestone wins hands down.
Old 02-28-2018, 11:08 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cloud9...68
I follow the latest tire tests and reviews pretty closely, and from what I've read, it isn't even close - the RE71R consistently comes out on top of pretty much every tire comparison test I've read in the past few years. The Toyo R1R is a very old design which scored no better than mid-pack in a test Car and Driver did several years ago. Both at the pointy end of summer performance rubber, so neither will give long tread life, and I think both are noisy as hell, but as long as you're aware of that, it isn't even a contest - the Bridgestone wins hands down.
What he said.
Old 03-01-2018, 02:13 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The 71R is the best Auto-x/summer tire out there for street use, so long as you are ok with a stiff sidewall. I would also take the Direzza z2 star spec, the Rival/Rival S and the R-S4 over the proxes. Those 3 are also in an entirely different class over the R1R.
Old 03-01-2018, 11:16 PM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Arominus
The 71R is the best Auto-x/summer tire out there for street use, so long as you are ok with a stiff sidewall. I would also take the Direzza z2 star spec, the Rival/Rival S and the R-S4 over the proxes. Those 3 are also in an entirely different class over the R1R.
I had a set of RE71Rs in my 951 when they first came out, and they were amazing as mentioned above. I used them to drive to and during and back home from track events, and the grip and steering response were the best of any street tire I've driven (this was after many sets of the Dunlop Direzza Z1/ZII/Star Specs, Hankook RS3s, etc). Plus they warmed up quickly and didn't get all greasy like some tires do. But Tire Rack had a fire sale on Pirelli Trofeo Rs about a year and a half ago--- I still have them, and they are also quite good . . . . ironically the Trofeo Rs are much quieter after a few track events than the RE71Rs or any of the Dunlops, which became really loud after the first event.

Oddly, the only car I've driven on Proxes R1Rs was a customer's borrowed Lotus Elise during an autocross event about 5 years ago . . . . I was impressed by the car, not as much as by the tires, which were OK but didn't have as much grip as I was expecting. But, that was also the only time I've ever driven an Elise, so this was probably not the most objective tire test out there (easy FTD at the local PCA autocross though, using that car was like cheating!).

Quick Reply: Tires Toyo proxes R1R’s or Bridgestone RE71r