Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

VEMS Startup

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 12:26 AM
gpr8er
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by David Ewell
Installed the Clewett trigger kit only to find out VEMs did not detect the new style magnetic sensor. Tried making a trigger log and got nada. So after about two weeks going back and forth with Peep he found the issue with a 2.7k resistor used for the stock speed sensors that needed to be bypassed in order for the new Clewett mag sensor to function. The fix was to run a jumper/bypass wire from EC-27 to an open spot next to the resistor and that was the ticket to getting the engine to fire. Timed the trigger wheel with a timing light to TDC, but the engine still is a bit hard to start needing throttle help to keep running and after some time does idle on its own. Throttle response is some what delayed and unnatural. I tried following Peeps instructions on auto-tune, but could not locate "Closed loop EGO control" under settings. I'm really feeling inadequate muddling through VEMS not knowing much of anything when it comes to tuning or debugging the software. If there is anyone in Northern Ut that has gone the rounds of tuning VEMS I would really like to hear from you. Or if any one can add tip tricks and advice to tuning VEMS on this thread I would greatly appreciate it.
David, was there a resolution here?
Old 11-18-2018, 05:04 PM
nick.cfrancis
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

David,
I just installed a LR push clutch with the scalloped flywheel on my 951 running VEMS. Were you able to find a solution to your issue?
Thanks!
Old 11-19-2018, 11:51 PM
nick.cfrancis
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nick.cfrancis
David,
I just installed a LR push clutch with the scalloped flywheel on my 951 running VEMS. Were you able to find a solution to your issue?
Thanks!
I reached out to David Ewell via email and was able to confirm today that the Clewett trigger wheel with the 36-1 tooth setup will resolve the startup issue running a scalloped flywheel on a 951. David did mention that running the Clewett trigger would require running a jumper wire on the VEMS main board and recommended contacting Peep for additional details.

http://www.clewett.com/index.php?mai...products_id=30
Old 11-20-2018, 02:55 PM
Dave951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nick.cfrancis
David did mention that running the Clewett trigger would require running a jumper wire on the VEMS main board and recommended contacting Peep for additional details.
I've talked to peep about this and he has said that a jumper is not required. FYI, The mag sensor from Clewett uses a weatherpack style connection; so if you want to use the majority of the existing wiring be prepared swap the end connector for a factory harness compatible 3pin Bosch EV1 male style end.

Old 11-21-2018, 01:10 AM
nick.cfrancis
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dave951
I've talked to peep about this and he has said that a jumper is not required. FYI, The mag sensor from Clewett uses a weatherpack style connection; so if you want to use the majority of the existing wiring be prepared swap the end connector for a factory harness compatible 3pin Bosch EV1 male style end.
Ok! Thank you for the info! I'm still hoping to use the factory bosch reference sensor. I bought a female harness plug and pins from Rennbay to extend the harness.
Old 07-19-2019, 06:14 PM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

For anyone with vems using the pig tail and running a hall sensor, which pin did you wire the output signal wire to?
Old 07-19-2019, 07:21 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

If its the same as VR then trigger pin 27 on EC36
Attached Images  
Old 07-20-2019, 11:20 AM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

That makes sense. But what I need to figure out is the pin for the dme harness. All the car's wiring goes to the stock harness, then the pig tail. I suppose what I could do is look at pin 27 and trace it back to the stock harness.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:39 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Black51
That makes sense. But what I need to figure out is the pin for the dme harness. All the car's wiring goes to the stock harness, then the pig tail. I suppose what I could do is look at pin 27 and trace it back to the stock harness.
It's either pin 25 or 26 on DME
Old 07-22-2019, 08:35 PM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by shortyboy
It's either pin 25 or 26 on DME
Hmm that seems odd to me. I thought the hall sensor acts as a speed sensor, which would be either pins 26 or 8.
Old 07-23-2019, 06:37 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Black51
Hmm that seems odd to me. I thought the hall sensor acts as a speed sensor, which would be either pins 26 or 8.
VEMS only uses 1 trigger signal. It doesnt use a secondary trigger, i know this because Ive installed a 36-1 trigger wheel without a secondary trigger in VEMS and its running fine. Ill trace the pins when I get a chance to which VEMS pins goes to DME pins.

Quick Reply: VEMS Startup