Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

VEMS Startup

Old 02-26-2018, 02:20 PM
Dave951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by David Ewell
Peep has messaged me back and has evaluated my trigger log and said it was identical to one he saw previously with a no spark no fuel issue and this case had a spec push clutch with scalloped fw. Peep did not have a solution at the time so the individual installed a separate trigger wheel which fixed his issue. Peep will be looking into it to see if he can find a solution around using a scalloped fw with VEMS.
Oh I hope so... I have a VEMS on the way and I also have the scalloped FW. Keep us updated.
Old 02-26-2018, 11:07 PM
David Ewell
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ealoken

Can you do a osoliscope in wems?
And what sensor have you chose in vems?
This is my first rodeo with any type of tuning. Not aware of an oscilloscope feature in VEMS. The only thing I've done is Log the Trigger sensors during cranking.
Old 02-27-2018, 03:41 AM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 72 Posts

http://vems.hu/vt/help/v3/v3_primary...gs_visual.html

What did you choose here?
Old 02-27-2018, 03:25 PM
David Ewell
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ealoken
VEMS came with a tune that should have at least started the engine. He also asked what size of injectors I was running. Have not look to see what my current trigger settings are just relying on Peep to figure it out. As I mentioned in a previous post, he couldn't figure out a method on how to get the trigger signal to work with a scalloped fw. I'll take a look at it tonight and take a screen shot of it and post it here and see if anybody can make heads or tails of it.
Old 02-27-2018, 03:47 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 631 Likes on 489 Posts

FWIW when I first installed my VEMS ~2 years ago (wow!) I had to add more fuel than the "canned tune" called for to get it to catch and run.
I added it via the injector pulsewidth "reqfuel" box.
I recall the number I needed being "mathematically incorrect" based on the reqfuel formula and the size of my injectors, but it works, so I don't question it.
Old 02-27-2018, 05:34 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
FWIW when I first installed my VEMS ~2 years ago (wow!) I had to add more fuel than the "canned tune" called for to get it to catch and run.
I added it via the injector pulsewidth "reqfuel" box.
I recall the number I needed being "mathematically incorrect" based on the reqfuel formula and the size of my injectors, but it works, so I don't question it.
Is that because VEMS is metric not imperial
Old 02-27-2018, 05:44 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 631 Likes on 489 Posts

you mean mg doesn't mean "metric gallon"

but no i forget the actual values but per the reqfuel formula say i *should* have used 10 but in order for it to actually start i had to put 13 or something with the effect of adding more injector pulsewidth.
Old 02-28-2018, 06:39 PM
David Ewell
Rennlist Member

It's going to be a while before Peep can resolve the speed sensor trigger issue when running a scalloped fly wheel so I ordered a Crank Trigger Kit from Clewett Engineering today arriving Friday. So if your planning on running VEMS with a lightened steel FW plan on a separate trigger signal for now. Here is the link for Clewett - http://www.clewett.com/index.php?mai...products_id=30. Peep recommended the 36-1 trigger with the magnetic crank sensor.
Old 02-28-2018, 07:30 PM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't know if it is necessarily the lightweight flywheel,though I did have problems with mine. It worked fine for a few months, but then it started to play up. This was with a motec M400, when we started asking around we found a it was not an uncommon occurrence, the factory trigger set up just can be a bit problematic, particularly over time. I went with the clewett and that was the end of the problem.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:04 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

I always recommend hall sensors if an aftermarket trigger wheel is being used, after executing or helping with installs on a few different cars. VR/magnetic sensors work fine obviously but can be finicky as they are analog signals. The hall sensors are usually a little more expensive but offer a consistent digital signal. It's one less thing to worry about when you're troubleshooting a problem - you see a nice square wave in your trigger log and know everything is working.
Old 03-09-2018, 01:03 AM
Dave W.
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry if you saw this already, but have you read this page? Some of the info could be related to your issue.
https://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Parts/SP44S-FIX.html
Old 03-14-2018, 11:31 PM
David Ewell
Rennlist Member

Installed the Clewett trigger kit only to find out VEMs did not detect the new style magnetic sensor. Tried making a trigger log and got nada. So after about two weeks going back and forth with Peep he found the issue with a 2.7k resistor used for the stock speed sensors that needed to be bypassed in order for the new Clewett mag sensor to function. The fix was to run a jumper/bypass wire from EC-27 to an open spot next to the resistor and that was the ticket to getting the engine to fire. Timed the trigger wheel with a timing light to TDC, but the engine still is a bit hard to start needing throttle help to keep running and after some time does idle on its own. Throttle response is some what delayed and unnatural. I tried following Peeps instructions on auto-tune, but could not locate "Closed loop EGO control" under settings. I'm really feeling inadequate muddling through VEMS not knowing much of anything when it comes to tuning or debugging the software. If there is anyone in Northern Ut that has gone the rounds of tuning VEMS I would really like to hear from you. Or if any one can add tip tricks and advice to tuning VEMS on this thread I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 03-15-2018, 05:38 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by David Ewell
Installed the Clewett trigger kit only to find out VEMs did not detect the new style magnetic sensor. Tried making a trigger log and got nada. So after about two weeks going back and forth with Peep he found the issue with a 2.7k resistor used for the stock speed sensors that needed to be bypassed in order for the new Clewett mag sensor to function. The fix was to run a jumper/bypass wire from EC-27 to an open spot next to the resistor and that was the ticket to getting the engine to fire. Timed the trigger wheel with a timing light to TDC, but the engine still is a bit hard to start needing throttle help to keep running and after some time does idle on its own. Throttle response is some what delayed and unnatural. I tried following Peeps instructions on auto-tune, but could not locate "Closed loop EGO control" under settings. I'm really feeling inadequate muddling through VEMS not knowing much of anything when it comes to tuning or debugging the software. If there is anyone in Northern Ut that has gone the rounds of tuning VEMS I would really like to hear from you. Or if any one can add tip tricks and advice to tuning VEMS on this thread I would greatly appreciate it.
Base Setup>EGO Closed Loop Control Settings>Control Settings>Change Lean and Rich Limit to 0% to auto tune idle and low rpm. Make sure to be at operating temp. Make sure you calibrate TPS properly. Run the wizard to calibrate max ( wide open throttle ) and min ( idle )

Old 03-15-2018, 12:55 PM
David Ewell
Rennlist Member

Default VEMS

Originally Posted by shortyboy
Base Setup>EGO Closed Loop Control Settings>Control Settings>Change Lean and Rich Limit to 0% to auto tune idle and low rpm. Make sure to be at operating temp. Make sure you calibrate TPS properly. Run the wizard to calibrate max ( wide open throttle ) and min ( idle )

Great info Wayne, Thanks. Would you mind posting how to setup and assign a gauge. I have an oil temp senor I would like to setup an unused a gauge to.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:14 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Have you solved your issue with the push type clutch and scalloped flywheel? Might be going the same route but vems is running perfectly on the stock setup. Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: VEMS Startup