Experience with Bridgestone - Potenza S-04 Pole Position - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices

Experience with Bridgestone - Potenza S-04 Pole Position

Old 02-01-2018, 01:08 AM
mj951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Experience with Bridgestone - Potenza S-04 Pole Position

Finally got around to refinishing my wheels and looking for some new rubber.

Anyone have experience with a set of Potenza S-04 Pole Positions on a 951? Not an 'N' branded tire so looking for opinions.

17" wheels and I typically run 235's up front and 255's in the rear. Not a lot of choices in this size.
Previously had Pirelli P Zero Rosso's.
Old 02-01-2018, 01:47 AM
MAGK944
Addict
Rennlist Member

When I had 17in wheels fitted I ran Bridgestone G-Force Sport 225x45 fronts and 255x40 rears and liked them a lot. Donĺt even know if they still make that tire in those sizes anymore, so this is likely mute.
Old 02-02-2018, 03:12 AM
PEvans
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have happily run those for years, but I would not say I have tested them if that is what you are asking. I also don't know if they are still available.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:34 PM
mj951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the responses. To further the story, i had a pair of RE-11's on the rear for a short season prior to parking the car a year and a half for some projects including refinishing the wheels. Now that i'm ready to get the car back out and needing to replace my older Pirelli fronts I was searching for a matching set but decided to go with a set of RE-71's on the front as a close match to the RE-11's going back on the rear. To be honest, my question was kind of lame. I was confused in not seeing many RE-11's available and didn't realize the 71's replaced them...
Now just waiting for spring to arrive.
Old 02-10-2018, 04:00 PM
Arominus
Super User

You'll find that the 71Rs have a lot more stick than the 11's, also a much stiffer sidewall. Great tire for auto-x! but maybe a smidge harsh on the street.
Old 02-10-2018, 11:04 PM
mj951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Arominus View Post
You'll find that the 71Rs have a lot more stick than the 11's, also a much stiffer sidewall. Great tire for auto-x! but maybe a smidge harsh on the street.
Thanks for the feedback Arominus!

I was tempted to just buy a pair of 71's for the front but sounds like maybe i should rethink the idea of mixing a slightly used pair of 11's on the rear with a new pair of 71's up front...or at least be ready for the over-steer. Sucks having a pair of 11's for the rear with maybe 1000 miles on them and no matching fronts. I drive the car mostly on county roads and weekend trips with an occasional DE. Would like to start attending more events but want to go full coil-overs and slightly stiffer all around before heading back to the track. Need to pull the trigger on that project already.

Leaning towards a new set of matching S-04 Pole Positions. Thanks for your feedback PEvans!
Old Yesterday, 06:19 PM
Arominus
Super User

Having a little oversteer out back might not be bad, i found the 225/255 setup plowed a bit, having stickier fronts would help.
Old Yesterday, 11:44 PM
mj951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Arominus View Post
Having a little oversteer out back might not be bad, i found the 225/255 setup plowed a bit, having stickier fronts would help.
True but most of my driving right now is on the road so I don't want a surprise out back that I fail to catch. Track time may be a different setup.

With 235's up front and the adjustable M030 rear sway at center hole the car is pretty neutral and safe. If i stiffen the rear bar i'll feel it so a little room yet for adjustment.
I also have RA camber plates and while i haven't messed with them much if i added some negative camber I suspect I'll feel that in the rear too.
I've also run 245's up front but on tight turns they bit into my brake cooling duct hoses.

I think i've ruled out the 71R's for this next set. Debating between the Pole Positions and going back to Pirellis.
Pirelli has a $70 rebate til mid March so that's tempting.

I need to find myself in your avatar and get back on the track!
In case you haven't noticed, i tend to over think things.

Last edited by mj951; Today at 12:04 AM.