Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Intercooler upgrade / modification (Ebay/Chinese vs Garrett)

Old 01-26-2018, 12:23 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Intercooler upgrade / modification (Ebay/Chinese vs Garrett)

For many years i've ran a CX Racing intercooler, and at the time i bought it i didn't know much about intercoolers. I had the mind set that intercoolers are intercoolers. That's obviously not the case. I've been chasing a temp issue in my car for a while and i've decided to put a better intercooler on the car. Some research and i find that CX racing intercoolers are crap, There are many other brands, but i decided to go with something i can trust 100% which was a Garrett Core. I could have went a PWR core but they didn't have the size i wanted. PWR being very high quality cores also.

My CX racing core was 610mm x 280 x 76mm (24" x 11" x 3")
The g=Garrett core i bought is 610mm x 260mm x 76mm (24" x 10.3" x3") It was the closest size and rated at 600hp.
I basically wanted the same size so the cut outs in my bumper wouldn't look weird with a different size.

First thing i did was cut off the end tanks from the CX ic to weld into the Garrett core, as they're longer i had to chop and shut the bottoms. I also cut he inlet and outlet off so put 90 degree bends to make better clearance with the nose panel.

I haven't tested it yet, but either way, i'll be much better performance as the fin density is over twice the amount, so i should really get 4x the intercooler in size vs the cx racing.
I was planning on getting an IR Thermometer and check temps, but never got around to it, all i can base my tests on is what my water and oil temps will be. I know air temps will improve a lot just by looking at the core.

Old 01-26-2018, 03:45 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Put inlet and outlet bungs on it I'm doing it with my intercoolers. Very curious what your results will be.
Old 01-26-2018, 05:39 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gruhsy
Put inlet and outlet bungs on it I'm doing it with my intercoolers. Very curious what your results will be.
I didn't think about it, but then again, i probably wont bother measuring the temp difference.
Im pretty keen on results also.

main issues are:
Temp on idle increases
When boosting, say mountain run, engine temp increases quite a bit.

I believe the main issue is heat soak with the IC with obviously poor cooling.

Worst comes to worst, i'll add a water spray kit.
Old 01-26-2018, 05:49 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 631 Likes on 489 Posts

hey at least the CXR tanks were good !
cool that you are able to do this sort of experiment and do good Alu. welding.

i had that same IC to use but swapped it for a stock 951 unit that i then had modified.
i will mount mine down low in front of the rad like current BMW turbo cars (inlet/outlet are now perpendicular to the core, pointing "up" rather than back like stock)
Old 01-27-2018, 03:33 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by V2Rocket

i had that same IC to use but swapped it for a stock 951 unit that i then had modified.
i will mount mine down low in front of the rad like current BMW turbo cars (inlet/outlet are now perpendicular to the core, pointing "up" rather than back like stock)
It's been a while since i've tig welded aluminium, over a year at least. Im quite happy with the welds considering i jumped right at it.
But yes, the end tanks where pretty good, they're cast and quite thick. Surprisingly not dirty aluminium, as they're originally welded with an aluminium MIG. You can tell from how its welded.

The factory location isn't half bad really, the top inlet is dedicated to the IC and doesn't obstruct the radiator at all like my front mount.
I've always had an idea of getting a new, modern core design and bigger end tanks (bell make similar sizes) and mount it in the factory position.
Old 01-27-2018, 01:00 PM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

It's not a great idea to mount an IC in front of the radiator, as it reduces the efficiency of both cores (especially that of the radiator). The current BMWs that do this have shrouding around each heat exchanger core to ensure adequate airflow into and out of each one (they learned their lesson from the first-gen 135i/335i). There is plenty of room in the factory location for a good-sized IC core---of course it has to be kinda thick, though.

I like the look of the SFR IC and I think I will be going with that one . . . .
Old 01-27-2018, 02:15 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Droops83
It's not a great idea to mount an IC in front of the radiator, as it reduces the efficiency of both cores (especially that of the radiator). The current BMWs that do this have shrouding around each heat exchanger core to ensure adequate airflow into and out of each one (they learned their lesson from the first-gen 135i/335i). There is plenty of room in the factory location for a good-sized IC core---of course it has to be kinda thick, though.

I like the look of the SFR IC and I think I will be going with that one . . . .
The SFR front mount of modified stock? because the front mount will also be in the same boat of blocking air to the radiator.
Old 01-27-2018, 04:58 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I didn't want to have the whole rad covered by the FMIC.
And while the front structure of my car is all custom I would have to re-do a lot of things to mount a 951 IC like it is mounted in a 951, and I don't feel like doing that yet, lol.
So my compromise was using the known-pretty-good 951 IC but mounting it so it blocks only 40% or so of the rad face leaving lots of rad face exposed to "fresh" air still.

It's all a compromise...being purely a street car I will only be in boost for a few seconds at a time anyways so the IC should be "ok".
Old 01-28-2018, 12:26 PM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulyy
The SFR front mount of modified stock? because the front mount will also be in the same boat of blocking air to the radiator.
Oh yeah, the "Stage 1.5" is the one I am considering, mounts in the stock location:

http://speedforceracing.com/product/...5-intercooler/
Old 01-28-2018, 11:49 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Droops83
Oh yeah, the "Stage 1.5" is the one I am considering, mounts in the stock location:

http://speedforceracing.com/product/...5-intercooler/
If that's a bell core, it'll be a good product!
Old 01-29-2018, 09:07 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Increased fin count will decrease air flow to the radiator so water temp is likely to get worse. But 3" is not mega thick so you might be ok.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:17 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Duke
Increased fin count will decrease air flow to the radiator so water temp is likely to get worse. But 3" is not mega thick so you might be ok.
I had thought of this too, but the old IC was quite bad in design though, so i believe i should gain somewhere.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:19 AM
audisport
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shrouds are also good at creating pressure differential, which is beneficial to airflow which = cooling. With out it, if you have too much positive pressure built up behind the radiator or IC, you'll end up with fresh air washing over the front and not going through. If there are no shrouds in place today, I would evaluate that as an option.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:21 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Paul,
as much as it might hurt you to do, you should consider cutting out the sheet metal section between the frame rails, directly behind your IC.
with that in place you're blocking off 1/3 of the back side of the IC core - no air is going to be flowing thru there.

you can make a brace that bolts across the front of the bumper shocks/bumper mounts to do the same job.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:23 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Paul,
as much as it might hurt you to do, you should consider cutting out the sheet metal section between the frame rails, directly behind your IC.
with that in place you're blocking off 1/3 of the back side of the IC core - no air is going to be flowing thru there.

you can make a brace that bolts across the front of the bumper shocks/bumper mounts to do the same job.
I have thought of that. don't worry! but i dont plan on cutting my bumper and cover.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Intercooler upgrade / modification (Ebay/Chinese vs Garrett)