Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Rear hatch question

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 09:32 PM
FlyinInTheWind
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear hatch question

My 951 rear hatch button seems to work, but the hatch does not pop up after hitting it. Basically, the only way to open it is with the key and pulling up on it. What do i need to do to get it to release after pushing the button?
Old 01-20-2018, 10:37 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

Does it stay up on its own (ie. hatch shocks are good)? If not, then that's probably your issue
Old 01-20-2018, 10:53 PM
jeffro951
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you hear the hatch release motor run when you press the release button? if yes then do you see the cable attached from the motor? might help to have the hatch open and have someone hit the release button and watch what happens in the back. most of the time it is just adjusting things for the operation to work smoothly.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:17 PM
FlyinInTheWind
Track Day

Originally Posted by Dan Martinic
Does it stay up on its own (ie. hatch shocks are good)? If not, then that's probably your issue
Yes, it does, just expect that it would pop up a bit when pressing the button, that does not happen.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:41 AM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It will be one or both pin receiving housing/latches out of alignment. Just adjust them so pin is centred.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:53 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyinInTheWind
Yes, it does, just expect that it would pop up a bit when pressing the button, that does not happen.
Sometimes, I push the button, hear the noise, get out back, and it's still locked. Then I do it again and it unlocks. I'm in the habit of pushing the button twice now and it's usually good. That, and I hold the button longer

Also, the rubber seal is often too sticky; depends on the weather I guess

Old 01-21-2018, 12:55 PM
PEvans
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric_Oz_S2
It will be one or both pin receiving housing/latches out of alignment. Just adjust them so pin is centred.
Start out by lubricating the pins and the mechanism. I think there are some threads on this.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:04 PM
PEvans
Rennlist Member

My release button has not worked for a long time. However I don't think it is the best thing for the latch to let it open up and hit the limit on its own. The lifters put tension on the glass in the frame, and it torques the frame when the hatch reaches the upper limit. Some people say if your lifters are strong enough to raise the hatch they are too strong. Eventually the glass works its way loose from the frame across the top. You don't want to accelerate that process.
Old 01-21-2018, 02:23 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

+1 @PEvans. Even when these cars were new the hatch didn’t spring fully open when the release button was pressed, it just unlatched it so you could open it by hand. If it’s not unlatching you can adjust the pins slightly until it does but be careful as those pins tend to corrode and seize up.

I replaced my pins with stainless ones a while ago and that prevents them seizing but I still seem to have to adjust them a couple of times a year. I’m not certain if it’s wear or the weather that causes them to stick, probably a bit of both.

Old 01-21-2018, 06:03 PM
FlyinInTheWind
Track Day

Default Fixed

Ok, the pins were too long, so the latching mechanism just latched again on them. I also noticed that I could see daylight on the right side meaning there was no seal. Everything is tightened up and works now.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:44 AM
PEvans
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FlyinInTheWind
Ok, the pins were too long, so the latching mechanism just latched again on them. I also noticed that I could see daylight on the right side meaning there was no seal. Everything is tightened up and works now.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
I should have said that - before you mess with anything put a new seal on.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:17 PM
FlyinInTheWind
Track Day

Default New seal and everything works as it should...

Originally Posted by PEvans
I should have said that - before you mess with anything put a new seal on.
Finally got around to getting a new seal and now the hatch pops as it should! Thanks for the suggestion.

Quick Reply: Rear hatch question