Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Tial 38 install

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 02:53 AM
Dkritz944
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Tial 38 install

so I’m about to tackle the install for this thing on my 88. Couple questions.
So I’m not using any boost controller. I have the Rogue A tune. In spring I plan on using A stand alone with a boost control solenoid. For now, what do i do with the other vacuum fitting? Block it off with a cap?
I’ve been reading people putting the wastegate the wrong way? Looks like only one way it can go in. Or are people referring to the vacuum line on the banjo fitting? It goes on the top still no? Thanks guys. And any other advice is appreciated.
Old 01-13-2018, 04:59 PM
bumflick
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The inputs and outputs on the Tial are reversed from the stock wastegate.. i.e if the input from the crossover goes to the side of the stock wastegate, then it goes to the bottom of the Tial. So physically it has to be mounted differently.

You will need a set of adaptor plates to get the Tial to bolt up to the stock pipes, or you can go more custom and have flanges welded to the stock pipes that will bolt up to the Tial.

Cant help with the vacuum hose question. I went with a MBC

When i did it, i had to have a shop do a bit of cutting and welding of the stock pipes (into the wastegate and out from the wastegate) to keep things tidy and close to the bottom of the car.

malcolm
Old 01-14-2018, 08:51 AM
DarrenD
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bumflick
The inputs and outputs on the Tial are reversed from the stock wastegate.. i.e if the input from the crossover goes to the side of the stock wastegate, then it goes to the bottom of the Tial. So physically it has to be mounted differently.

You will need a set of adaptor plates to get the Tial to bolt up to the stock pipes, or you can go more custom and have flanges welded to the stock pipes that will bolt up to the Tial.

Cant help with the vacuum hose question. I went with a MBC

When i did it, i had to have a shop do a bit of cutting and welding of the stock pipes (into the wastegate and out from the wastegate) to keep things tidy and close to the bottom of the car.

malcolm
Did you notice an immediate improvement over the stock wastegate?
Old 01-14-2018, 09:56 PM
raleighBahn
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dkritz944
so I’m about to tackle the install for this thing on my 88. Couple questions.
So I’m not using any boost controller. I have the Rogue A tune. In spring I plan on using A stand alone with a boost control solenoid. For now, what do i do with the other vacuum fitting? Block it off with a cap?
I’ve been reading people putting the wastegate the wrong way? Looks like only one way it can go in. Or are people referring to the vacuum line on the banjo fitting? It goes on the top still no? Thanks guys. And any other advice is appreciated.
I don't believe you want to connect this without a boost controller.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:06 PM
Dkritz944
Instructor

Originally Posted by raleighBahn
really?? Dammit. That’s fantastic. 😕
Old 01-15-2018, 01:00 AM
bumflick
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Darren,

Yes, massive improvement. I purchased the car used and boost was weak (classic 1.2 bar) then. Finally got around to addressing a number of issues all at once, so i cant say if the wastegate was the only issue.

But now I know what boost is supposed to feel like, and it has me giggling like a little girl.

malcolm
Old 01-15-2018, 03:57 PM
Dkritz944
Instructor

i talked to Dave Lindsey. He said just hook the cycling vacuum up to the side port and leave the top port open. And it will act just as the stock wastegate does. But with a stonger spring.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:05 PM
DarrenD
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bumflick
Darren,

Yes, massive improvement. I purchased the car used and boost was weak (classic 1.2 bar) then. Finally got around to addressing a number of issues all at once, so i cant say if the wastegate was the only issue.

But now I know what boost is supposed to feel like, and it has me giggling like a little girl.

malcolm
Thanks for the feedback.

I can't decide whether to go Lindsey stock rebuilt or Tial. Obviously stock is easier to install, but I want maximum response. Not sure how the Lindsey modded stocker compares to the TiAl.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:36 PM
Dkritz944
Instructor

Originally Posted by DarrenD
Thanks for the feedback.

I can't decide whether to go Lindsey stock rebuilt or Tial. Obviously stock is easier to install, but I want maximum response. Not sure how the Lindsey modded stocker compares to the TiAl.
I did a bunch of research before I went with the Tial 38. You will need adapter plates who Fejj right here on Rennlist can sell ya. And the actual wastegate can be bought online for around 250. The thing with the LR one is that there is a core charge. And if you break any of the bolts, they subtract money from your core. And if the body of your core is cracked, you get 0. Both will achieve the same result.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:39 PM
raleighBahn
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dkritz944

I did a bunch of research before I went with the Tial 38. You will need adapter plates who Fejj right here on Rennlist can sell ya. And the actual wastegate can be bought online for around 250. The thing with the LR one is that there is a core charge. And if you break any of the bolts, they subtract money from your core. And if the body of your core is cracked, you get 0. Both will achieve the same result.
This was the conversation as I was told: https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/852080-running-tial-with-cycling-valve.html

Anyway, I'm sure if Dave Lindsay said it is good then it is. I ended up doing an EBC in dual port mode and hold onto your hat!
Old 01-16-2018, 12:12 AM
Dkritz944
Instructor

This was the conversation as I was told: https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/852080-running-tial-with-cycling-valve.html

Anyway, I'm sure if Dave Lindsay said it is good then it is. I ended up doing an EBC in dual port mode and hold onto your hat!
yeah, I’m gonna slap a manual boost controller on this sucker before I get my standalone to take advantage of this. The standalone will supply a boost solenoid. But I guess I want some immediate satisfaction. 😉

Quick Reply: Tial 38 install