Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 12:39 AM
Noahs944
Race Car

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts
Default Experience with Racepak Dashes?

Hi,
I'm considering purchasing https://store.racepak.com/product/iq3s-street-dash/
And using it in conjunction with my SDS EFI engine management system. Not sure how I will be able to get the speedo to work. Anyone use this dash? What's your experience?
Old 01-12-2018, 12:57 AM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

I would take this to the Racing/DE thread as they would be the ones with the most knowledge. It looks like they have a GPS module which would give you MPH. This is not a plug and paly unit as we do not have OBD2.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:03 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

Jeez... $1000. Check out the Raspberry Pi projects, a lot of megasquirt guys have made a homebrew setup that works pretty well. It can be configured however you want it.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:19 AM
FHMotorsport
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a complete IQ3 Dash Logger with the Universal Sensor Module for $1000 shipped to conus.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:19 AM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by FHMotorsport
I have a complete IQ3 Dash Logger with the Universal Sensor Module for $1000 shipped to conus.
There's an IQ3 product (one Noah inquired about) called "street dash", and to reference an earlier post, the race section of RL is not really likely to have much feedback on the "street dash" as it doesn't have data logging.

Then there's a product called IQ3SL which is the street dash *with logging*.

There's also a totally separate product called the iQ3 Logger Dash.

Can you be specific with which one you have for sale with RacePak product numbers for the dash and module...?

I'm interested.

T
Old 01-12-2018, 11:26 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 409 Posts

I have iq3 logger dash with haltech module and complete CAN setup waiting for my 944. I didnt use it in car but I played with all the settings a lot and so far love it.

It beats motec in many ways, doesn't have locked features like motec and supports massive storage cards available for few bucks meanwhile motec charges $820 for 250mb storage module.

Similar dash from motec: https://www.ebay.com/itm/MoTeC-ADL3-Advanced-Dash-Logger-Display-Backlit/170881131715?epid=765389829&hash=item27c94f24c3:m:mX4mkJ3VWukBebexSicpEF A&vxp=mtr
Old 01-12-2018, 08:30 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 951and944S
There's an IQ3 product (one Noah inquired about) called "street dash", and to reference an earlier post, the race section of RL is not really likely to have much feedback on the "street dash" as it doesn't have data logging.

Can you be specific with which one you have for sale with RacePak product numbers for the dash and module...?

I'm interested.

T
I was suggesting he go there to determine how best to interface the dash with the car. Our cars are not plug and play for dash boards. Most people on this thread do not require new dashes for their cars, where the cars on the Racing/DE thread are more modified and he may find an answer to his question more easily there.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:29 PM
FHMotorsport
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 951and944S

I'm interested.

T
I have the iQ3 Logger Dash. It retails for $1599 on Racepak's website.
Old 01-13-2018, 04:58 PM
Noahs944
Race Car

Thank you for your responses everyone!
rlm328, you're right about the obd compatibility thing. Luckily, the IQ3 is really versatile, that it can even would on carb'ed engines... it seems very well designed, but like Michael says, it's a lot of cash. Still I think it's money well spent.
A person needs to budget for accessories to make it work with our cars.
I am probably 1/100th the computer guy that Michael is, so the Pi seems like a lot of work. Very cool though and a great learning package!
In the end, looking at what I want in various devices, I found here in this digital instrument panel:
Old 01-13-2018, 05:53 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by FHMotorsport
I have the iQ3 Logger Dash. It retails for $1599 on Racepak's website.
So it's 250-DS-IQ3LD then..?

Not much data on site, is there any accompanying literature that states the maximum allowable SD card size...?

I see 512mb with unit but do you know if larger card is compatible..?

TIA,

T
Old 01-13-2018, 06:28 PM
Noahs944
Race Car

https://kosonorthamerica.com/shop/mo...n-speedometer/

More info on the choice I made. Its designed for motorcycles & that appears to be one of the easiest ways to overcome the obd challenge. It also has features I want such as lap timer, gear indicator, speedo, odo with trip reset, rpm, voltage, fuel level, clock, speeding indicator, coolant and air temp, shift light... it's a standalone & basically comes with everything (brackets, sensors)... seems pretty bad ***. Heck, maybe I will even use the lean angle device when tuning suspension I'll let you guys know how & if it all works out.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:17 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Noahs944

More info on the choice I made. Its designed for motorcycles & that appears to be one of the easiest ways to overcome the obd challenge. It also has features I want such as lap timer, gear indicator, speedo, odo with trip reset, rpm, voltage, fuel level, clock, speeding indicator, coolant and air temp, shift light... it's a standalone & basically comes with everything (brackets, sensors)... seems pretty bad ***. Heck, maybe I will even use the lean angle device when tuning suspension I'll let you guys know how & if it all works out.
If you feel comfortable with doing the interface, you may also want to look at the AiM MXS for around $1,130

A couple of the items that you like are a real effort to get working such as the:

1) Fuel sensor Porsche in their infinite wisdom did not really use a fuel gauge that plays well with others
2) Gear indicator requires a sensor
3) Speed and distance can be fairly easy if you do GPS, off the transmission can be tough
Old 01-13-2018, 11:17 PM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Noahs944

That looks pretty cool. Too bad you'll have to paint a redline at about the halfway point of the tach!
Old 01-14-2018, 12:57 AM
Noahs944
Race Car

Originally Posted by Droops83
That looks pretty cool. Too bad you'll have to paint a redline at about the halfway point of the tach!
Haha! True that!
However, the lowest RPM scale setting is 10,000 rpm, so a little less ridiculous.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:11 AM
Noahs944
Race Car

Originally Posted by rlm328
If you feel comfortable with doing the interface, you may also want to look at the AiM MXS for around $1,130

A couple of the items that you like are a real effort to get working such as the:

1) Fuel sensor Porsche in their infinite wisdom did not really use a fuel gauge that plays well with others
2) Gear indicator requires a sensor
3) Speed and distance can be fairly easy if you do GPS, off the transmission can be tough
---- Good points, Mate----

I have read through the instructions (online with the hyperlink)
3) If I could have 1 wish, it would be to have GPS with this dash for lap work & accurate speed. This will be an additional purchase down the road.
2) I'm taking a gamble here, but I have learned today that this is not always the case. Notice in the description, they call the gear indicator "learning"... it's difficult to read the online instruction, but I got the sense there is a electronic method of What I think is happening here is: ECU (the dash ecu) reads 2 sensors: Wheel speed ( or trans output ) and engine rpm. If you have engine rpm but no wheel rpm then it assumes no gear, if you have wheel speed & engine rpm then you are in a gear. You help program the ECU with dash buttons (no laptop is required for any of the dash functions), Essentially pressing a "1st gear" or "2nd gear" button as you drive. A while the dash ECU has "learned" appropriate engine rpm for appropriate wheel speeds.
1) hmmm... thanks again Porsche!

Quick Reply: Experience with Racepak Dashes?