Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

West Germany part ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 05:55 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts
Default West Germany part ?

I ordered a new transmission input shaft seal from a well-known online Canadian distributor; this is what they sent. The box appears modern.. but.. is this really a New Old Stock??

In any case, I tried to install it, but ran into an issue. If interested, see other thread.

Old 01-04-2018, 07:58 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Ok, I peeked on a well-known 944 parts supplier's page with pics of the current seal and it's the same. Does look a little 'old' though! I guess the "W. - Germany" isn't NOS. Funny, the (most likely original) seal that came out looks a lot newer (sorry--it's chewed up from removal).

Note the VW / Audi on the seal that I pulled

The other surprise is the Rear Main Seal--it's the Elring. Given that the clutch disk I pulled has "8 / 87" stamped on it (the car is a 1988 951), I suspect Elring was the OEM at that time. Oh, and the clutch disk is the "HD" type without the six smaller springs
Old 01-04-2018, 08:21 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

And the original place I ordered the new seal from has this image on their site. Not what's in the box!
Old 01-05-2018, 10:14 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 408 Posts

Matrix for making those is probably old 30 something years so it's still W Germany. It doesn't make sense to modify or produce new matrix for seals made in small batches just because germany is no longer separated.

The seal you have was made with original porsche matrix with part number but because it was sold to you bypassing Porsche someone had to hand dremel the part number off.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:41 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Yes, I noticed that odd rubbed out section. The metal does look old and tarnished.. and the rubber kinda dull; in fact, it feels a little hard compared to the soft rubber on new drive axle seals I also got

The same supplier sent 2 transmission drive axle seals which look like the image on their site for the input seal. Very modern.. rich black and softer. These came in Elring boxes.. but oddly don't say Elring on the seal face
Old 01-13-2018, 02:03 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Got a new input shaft seal from Porsche. Same as the one I first bought... but the "VW / Audi" marks and part number are not rubbed out, obviously. Funny it's VW / Audi, but that's what's on the transmission anyway

Quick Reply: West Germany part ?