Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Blade style vs. Tarret front sway bar?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 03:40 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Blade style vs. Tarret front sway bar?

Has anybody tried the blade style front sway bar Racers Edge sells? A search revealed some previous discussion about it when it first came out a few years ago, but I coldn't find any actual experiences with it. The Tarret is the "industry standard", but RE's blade stype bar looks really cool, the adjustment appears to be a bit easier, and the price is about the same as the Tarret, at least as it's advertised on their site. I believe RE used to offer both the Tarret and the blade style, but I'm only seeing the blade style now. Any thoughts as to the pros and cons of the two bars? Or better yet, any direct experiences? Thanks.
Old 12-21-2017, 03:47 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

I didn't think they actually released that for sale. Perhaps they have. No idea of anyone who has used it though. We made our own. Never adjusted it apart from making a stiffer front bar sometime later. You'll find pics of it somewhere in my main thread.
For all the work involved I'd say go with the Tarret even though it's quite heavy.
Old 12-21-2017, 05:11 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Thanks, Patrick. From RE's site, it sure looks like it's available for sale, but I know they don't always keep their site up to date. But it is odd that I've never seen anybody report on their experience with it - hopefully someone who has will chime in.

I thought the Tarret bar is supposed to be significantly lighter than the stock one (I have an M030). At least that's what I've seen claimed online.
Old 12-21-2017, 05:13 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
I didn't think they actually released that for sale. Perhaps they have. No idea of anyone who has used it though. We made our own. Never adjusted it apart from making a stiffer front bar sometime later. You'll find pics of it somewhere in my main thread.
For all the work involved I'd say go with the Tarret even though it's quite heavy.
The tarrett bar is actually quite light. It's hollow and the end links are mostly aluminium.
Old 12-21-2017, 07:51 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

I personally like the Weltmeister sway bar, and they are half the price.
Old 12-22-2017, 08:42 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

I've got the Tarrett bar and it was somewhat lighter than my factory M030 bar (though I never weighed them).

Here's my experience w/ the Tarrett: I installed the Tarretts front and rear, and with the spring rates I run, I've never had to move the front bar from full soft. It's somewhat stiffer than the factory M030. I make fine handling adjustments by adjusting the rear bar only, which can be done without removing the wheels.
The only time I play w/ the front bar is to disconnect it for wet sessions, and doing that is a bit of a PITA. If the RE bar allows for easier disconnection/reconnection, I'd say go with that one.
Old 12-22-2017, 09:44 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by rlm328
I personally like the Weltmeister sway bar, and they are half the price.
They are cheaper for good reason. They are heavy, the heim joints are poor quality and the hardware supplied with the bar is sub-par. The tarrets are really well designed with quality components amhik.
Old 12-22-2017, 11:19 AM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the inputs. I did a quick search, and it isn't clear to me that the Weltmeister bar is still available. Also, the latest prices I saw for them weren't a whole lot less than the Tarett. The Tarett bar looks to be really well designed, but the blade style one, if it's available, just looks really slick in terms of adjustablity. I plan to install longer ball joint pins to level the A-arms, and one of 95ONE's last torsion bar delete bars with the raised trailing arm attachment points to raise the rear RC to match the changes to the front's, so I expect that I will have to do some fine tuning of the front/rear roll stiffness, so ease of adjustability is a big priority. I have an adjustable rear bar (three holes), so I'm not sure there would be much benefit to a Tarett rear bar. I'll contact RE after the first of the year to see if the blade style bar is actually available. It is odd that so far, I haven't heard of anyone who has pruchased one.
Old 12-22-2017, 12:09 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Cloud9...68
...I have an adjustable rear bar (three holes), so I'm not sure there would be much benefit to a Tarett rear bar...
The 3 hole (Lindsey?) version of the 19mm 968 M030 is good for rate changes that’s all. You might want to consider adjustable rear drop links to also adjust for preload.
Old 12-22-2017, 03:15 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MAGK944

The 3 hole (Lindsey?) version of the 19mm 968 M030 is good for rate changes that’s all. You might want to consider adjustable rear drop links to also adjust for preload.
I have adjustable drop links, so it seems that spending $400 or so on a Tarett rear bar wouldn't give me much bang for the buck. I definitely want an adjustable front bar, though, for tunability when I install the longer front ball joint pins and the modified torsion bar delete bar.
Old 12-24-2017, 10:48 AM
FHMotorsport
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have tried all sway bars currently available on the market for 944/968 models. The Weltmeister works the best for me. It is heavier than the Tarret but it provides better "feel" and the adjustment is easier. I have a few good used 28mm Weltmeister front sway bars available for sale.

Quick Reply: Blade style vs. Tarret front sway bar?