Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Anyone have the ability to machine wheel adapters???

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2003, 11:14 PM
*eurospeed951*
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have the ability to machine wheel adapters???

The post about the Porsche wheels on VW's made me think about the fact that most of the factory Porsche wheels that Porsche owners would like to get rid of, are the same ones in high demand for older VWs. The main drawback is that the adapters to go from 4x100 to 5x130 are crazy expensive. They're like $400 for a set. If anyone here knows how these could be made for cheaper a lot of money could be made. The adapters would sell like crazy if they were around $150, and then stock wheels like phone dials could be sold to them for a lot more than Porsche people would pay. I'm not looking to make any money off this myself, since I have no clue how to make adapters, but would like to be able to get adapters for less than $400. Any info would be great! Thanks!
Old 12-16-2003, 01:36 AM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts

That's not terrible, depending on how well they're made. They can be made cheap, there have been a lot of cast aluminum ones made that let go at inopportune times. Chances are the cheap one won't be hub-centric, either.

$150 would be about $35 per piece. If you use decent studs and steel lug nuts, you've got $20 in hardware before you start machining the adapters. I could use an adapter like that for another car, but don't think it can be done for 150 a set.

Quick Reply: Anyone have the ability to machine wheel adapters???