Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Cleaning 944 Hatch pin receivers

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 02:40 PM
kyle951
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning 944 Hatch pin receivers

My hatch pin receivers on my 944 Turbo are all gunked up causing them not to open properly. I wanted to know if anyone has successfully cleaned them. I did spray some brake cleaner on one of them and it got a little better but I think they need to soak in a cleaning solution for a day. I would appreciate any advice on this before I make the decision to replace them.

Thanks
Kyle
Old 12-10-2017, 02:58 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

They come out fairly easily, and once they are out you can soak or do whatever needed to clean them. Here's a link on alternate parts that shows how to remove them.

https://www.only944.com/instructions/hpsinstructions/

I tried cleaning mine, which helped some. Then I tried the only944 seats, which helped a lot more (after some fitment issues). Then I bought factory new seats and pins, and that made it open and close like a new car.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:02 PM
Chapman951
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

I remember using Q-Tips on mine. Mine were never in poor shape though.
Old 02-10-2019, 02:33 PM
PEvans
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
They come out fairly easily, and once they are out you can soak or do whatever needed to clean them. Here's a link on alternate parts that shows how to remove them.

https://www.only944.com/instructions/hpsinstructions/

I tried cleaning mine, which helped some. Then I tried the only944 seats, which helped a lot more (after some fitment issues). Then I bought factory new seats and pins, and that made it open and close like a new car.
Tom, old thread, hopefully you'll see this - I don't see the seats themselves as a separate part in PET. For the factory parts, did you replace the whole lock?

Old 02-10-2019, 03:41 PM
thom4782
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PEvans
Tom, old thread, hopefully you'll see this - I don't see the seats themselves as a separate part in PET. For the factory parts, did you replace the whole lock?
IIRC, factory originals come only as part of the entire assembly.

On my 951, I removed both locks from the car. Next, I removed the seats from the locking mechanism and cleaned all parts individually. Then I re-assembled and put the units back in the car. Once in, I sprayed each mechanism with a very small amount of WD40 white lithium grease.

PS: I found if one over-tightens the bolts holding the locking mechanism to the car that the locks have difficulty opening and closing. I tested them by hand before I re-attached the cross bars. Once I was sure the locking mechanism was working smoothly, I closed the rear hatch and, where necessary, adjusted the pins so hatch would lock and open easily. There was a residual squeak when driving, but that was cured by lubricating the hatch seal under where the hatch attaches to the roof frame.
Old 02-10-2019, 04:44 PM
PEvans
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Found it. Tom clarified in the 'Delrin hatch pin seats' thread that he replaced the latches themselves, and found that worked better for him than the replacement seats alone.

Quick Reply: Cleaning 944 Hatch pin receivers