Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Need a RT/Pass Fog Light / Story Victory & Failure

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 01:19 PM
manticore33
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a RT/Pass Fog Light / Story Victory & Failure

First, if you have a reasonably priced used right/passenger turbo/S2 fog light, please PM, I am in need. Continue on for the epic journey of joy and sadness.

The clutch went out numerous years ago on my 1986 951 right before my son was born, and I put the service off for a long, long time. The clutch on my e39 gave up at 286k, so I figured I would do both cars starting with the Porsche. Right off the bat, one of the studs on the downpipe broke which necessitated a pulling the turbo to drill the stud out. After a couple of weeks wrenching, I decided to pull an allnighter to get the car back together on Monday going into Tuesday. It was 50s and warm (which is good this time of year in Ohio). I started it at 5:30a with an incomplete exhaust and a heard a whirring noise, but did not think much of it. Turns out it was a reference sensor getting sheered by the ring gear. Before I put on the new bell housing, I gapped the reference sensor at .8mm using a feeler gauge with the old sensor. Now, I suspect have "stunted" the sensor and shortened its length when I had to hammer it out the bracket. After the exhaust was hung, more whirring, and then stop. Eaten reference sensor. Since I had an old one still, I was able to shim and the car started and idled. Just 10 minutes before 10:00 on Tuesday, the car was off the stands and rolled out into the driveway running to bleed the cooling system and to let the grease burn off of the exhaust. Joy! Working on the car straight from 1:00 p.m. Monday to 10:00 a.m. Tuesday was worth it! Tired and partly delirious be damned, I succeeded.

Oh, that tiredness and poor judgement. I was interrupted for a 10:00 a.m. conference call that I need to be in and could not be rescheduled. Great, conference call is over, and I knew I needed to adjust the clutch pedal I messed with all of the years before. Put the car in 1st, pulled the e-brake, and weaseled up under the dash to adjust the clutch pedal. I was all set. However, trying to get out of the car, I must have hit the e-brake, it drops, and the car starts moving with me wedged into the foot well. The gear did not mesh, and the car and I are rolling into the rear bumper of my other car compressing the impact shock asorborber! But, of course it would not end there. When trying to pull the car back into the driveway (it curved backward in a J style fashion), it was not straight and my tired arms (power steering is deleted) could not turn quick enough and I just caught the foglight on the rear bumper of my roundie BMW 2002 that sticks out low, shattering the foglight. At this point my wife put me to bed.

Post nap, I get up, swallow my pride, and take the 951 to get gas and head to work in it. The car ran nicely, and I finally was able to start reconciling my stupidity that it could of been worse, I was not hurt, nor any sheet metal on the car. Leaving work where the temps have dropped into the low-30s and it is pitch black since it is after 8:00 p.m., I headed home, but with a stop at Aldi first. I decided to take I-71 home to help maybe soften the tires and it is a good 10 mile stretch at 70 mph. The 951 purred right along, but after nearing my hometown on the smaller US RT, I started to feel like I had am miss and it started getting worse. I park at Aldi, and the car dies. I do my shopping, lying to myself maybe if it just sits a minute it will be fine. I did my shopping, and return, the car starts, idle drops, spatters, dies. Again, starts, backfire, and died. The tach needle is not moving, so I hope it is the old sensor that died. But, a flat bed later, it is at home again.

At least I have a working clutch now. From hero to zero with a 951.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:42 PM
audisport
Instructor

Next time chock the wheels
Old 12-07-2017, 08:29 AM
manticore33
Racer

Originally Posted by audisport
Next time chock the wheels
Believe me, I will.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:25 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 151 Posts

We've all done stupid things and worked well past the exhaustion limit....so you're not alone.
I'm the king of idiot on some days
Old 12-08-2017, 10:44 AM
manticore33
Racer

Thank you.

I was able to get it running again last night. It was two-fold, the by-pass valve came off of the hard pipe and two of the wires shorted out on the speed sensor harness. And, I have a lead on a fog light, so hopefully it is all turning around.
Old 12-12-2017, 01:58 PM
manticore33
Racer

Still looking for that passenger side turbo fog light if anyone has one they are looking to sell. The car has been running great and we put over 100 miles on it.

Quick Reply: Need a RT/Pass Fog Light / Story Victory & Failure