Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Boost Brace

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 09:44 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts
Default Boost Brace

Finally got around to putting a boost brace on the turbo-side intercooler inlet. With the original air filter box gone, this pipe is no longer secured in place by the metal strap on the air filter box, and is prone to blowing off. I had a make-shift brace on there (hose clamp and metal strap to nose panel screws) but this is much better. I considered making my own, but this version from DB Diesel had more features (adjustable length, articulating joints, etc.) then I could ever make for twice the cost.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bdd-1045201?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-bd-diesel&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkpWMjYTR1wIVE9NkCh3QUQhhEAQYAyABEgJMI_D_BwE

I had to pull the intercooler out to weld on the mounting boss -- it's tight, but does fit.

I was only able to get at the front 60% or so of the boss with the welder, but it's on there for good. I posted the intercooler cap on the 3D printed part thread the other day.

Stock intercooler pipe with the boss for the boost brace welded on. The aluminum does ok with the TIG as long as you grind off ultra hard black finish and get all the way down to real aluminum.

Pipe looking good again thanks to the Eastwood powder coating gun.

I dare this pipe to blow off now.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:39 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

cool!
been considering something like this for my project but had been thinking less Heavy duty than that.

nice weld, especially for the paper-thin tube.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:21 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
cool!
been considering something like this for my project but had been thinking less Heavy duty than that.

nice weld, especially for the paper-thin tube.
Yeah, I originally planned to do something simpler, but the quick release and adjustable length/angle convinced me. Otherwise, you have to put the boss in exactly the right spot, which seemed like a recipe for ruining a handful of boost pipes.... My TIG welding isn't great. I've learned to make it look better by pulsing over ugly welds The oil catch can peeking out in one of those shots has better welds, though as you say it's easier when both pieces are the same thick size.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:56 AM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine always came off on the other end of the discharge pipe. I fixed that with a very cool zip tie and trimmed it with a bitchin pair of diagonal cutters.

Old 11-22-2017, 12:32 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris Prack
Mine always came off on the other end of the discharge pipe. I fixed that with a very cool zip tie and trimmed it with a bitchin pair of diagonal cutters.

Sounds a lot like my previous brace On my car, the boost bolt hose is sturdy enough to lock that end in place, but there's nothing on the intercooler end other than clamps -- and I've tried them all...
Old 11-22-2017, 12:59 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Tom - random thought, while your red printed cap is cool, the 944 turbo intercooler outlets are exactly the same size as a 2" plumbing pipe - so you could use one of those rubber DWV caps with a clamp from the hardware store to keep "junk" from falling in.

Weirdly the ID is almost the same as 2" Sch40 pipe too...50mm ID 60MM OD...

Quick Reply: Boost Brace