Benefit of angle milling cylinder head

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 10:19 AM
steven74
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Benefit of angle milling cylinder head

Hello all,
While my engine is apart for machine work, I have been researching angle milling the cylinder head for increased flow. Basically, the idea behind it is to change the deck surface angle, allowing the intake valve to have a more upright angle to allow a more direct path for the intake. I know this was successful for many race cars in the past and was wondering if this has been done or attempted on the 2 valve engine? I know the other parts such as intake and exhaust manifolds as well as coolant passage on head would be altered but this can all be managed to some extent. On a side note, would the amount of money invested into this machine work show as a benefit in increased power? Let me know your thoughts. This is an example for the small block Chevrolet.

[img]webkit-fake-url://22a55eec-b422-48f5-814d-eb51b2db2a32/imagejpeg[/img]
Old 11-21-2017, 10:54 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

its been proposed before but dont know if anyone's ever done it.
kind of hard to compare it vs a stock head to see any benefit (it might work on an SBC but who knows if something about the 944 design will make a difference, i suspect not), unless you had two identically-prepped heads with one being flat and one angle milled, then dyno them back to back?
Old 11-21-2017, 01:05 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

The world needs pioneers! Cam timing and compression would need to be managed, and all the parts that bolt to the head. No idea what results you'd get, but seems easier to turn the boost **** up a little bit instead...
Old 11-21-2017, 01:27 PM
steven74
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you happen to know what the stock 2 valve valve angle is? this seemed popular on small block Chevys with their standard 23-degree until the newer 18 degree angled heads came out.

Quick Reply: Benefit of angle milling cylinder head