Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Bremer shifters (DIY sequential)

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 08:42 PM
944crazy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess the paddles can easily be replaced by an up/down shifter in the traditional position? They are just up/down switches after all. But then it might still be classed as a sequential, which are not allowed in clubsprint. And there is also the issue of strength...might have to see if there are any turbo caymans running pdk successfully.

Patrick, have you considered looking at subaru transaxles? There was a guy using one on pfa for his LS1 911 build...perhaps you could find a sequential subie box conversion that is a bit more cost effective than the Audi or Porsche options. There was a Kaps billet subie sequential that for sale on facebook for 20k a couple of months ago. Assuming the ratios would even be suitable, and not sure how much $$ in labour and custom parts you would need to fit it, but surely the total conversion cost would come in a fair bit cheaper than your 50k estimate?

Last edited by 944crazy; 11-09-2017 at 09:04 PM.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:59 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Yes you'd want to do some research on the PDK boxes. I heard they cost a lot to fix. Wonder how big power 997 / 991 turbos are going with these? Wonder how different they are to a Caymen PDK?
Old 11-09-2017, 09:41 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
I've thought about PDK before but I'd say there'd be a question over how much tq they can handle?
I'd certainly doubt that the Caymen box would hold 600ft/lbs to the wheels or thereabouts. Having said that, perhaps it or parts thereof, could be improved. It's certainly an interesting idea.

Even though it 'might' be considered an Automatic, it still would be considered Paddle Shift which isn't allowed in my class. Not sure about Clubsprint though as some new cars must come with a similar setup. Although they don't allow a lot of high end sports cars enter in that class anyway. Pauly, are there any cars in Clubsprint that can run Paddle?

T, flying over and racing in the US would definitely be cheaper than what I've been paying over the years...by a Loooooooooong margin. Just nothing I'd ever considered. Thanks for the thought though. :-)
AFAIK all club sprint cars are manual.
They're not saying no to autos though. But where does the PDK land though.
Autos you can still change gears. Triptronic is still auto, but you can shift with it like a sequential, just slower.
So i cannot see why PDK with paddle shifts or even a handle like a trip or sequential not be allowed?

I have though about the over all strengths of the box too.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:16 AM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Get an RSR sequential transmission, it is a mid engine car with 510 hp (doesn't show torque). Probably wouldn't be more than $60k or $70k.
Old 11-10-2017, 03:13 AM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 72 Posts

Im thinking of to use the Audi RS4 B5/7 Gearbox, it`s 6 speed.
The two challenges to fix is to eliminate the RWD in the quattro box and to make a new main shaft going in to the box, both are duable, and the gearbox is way more tight and handle TQ/HP like a iron horse.

cayman boxes does not approve 500bhp ++

Next step is Samsonas Seq, 12000 Euros.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:13 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I've thought about PDK before but I'd say there'd be a question over how much tq they can handle?
I'd certainly doubt that the Caymen box would hold 600ft/lbs to the wheels or thereabouts. Having said that, perhaps it or parts thereof, could be improved. It's certainly an interesting idea.

Even though it 'might' be considered an Automatic, it still would be considered Paddle Shift which isn't allowed in my class. Not sure about Clubsprint though as some new cars must come with a similar setup. Although they don't allow a lot of high end sports cars enter in that class anyway. Pauly, are there any cars in Clubsprint that can run Paddle?
It's a hybrid...., a little bit of both. It has gears like a manual with forks that are activated by hydraulic pressure via a rod/piston/seal/bore. Honda used a similar config but only to activate reverse on the PAXB family 4 speeds in the Accord (USA). If you have ever driven a 2000+ Honda auto, you'd have noticed that reverse has a "clack" engagement and it whines like a manual when you reverse.
That said, it's classed as an auto.
The PDK has two hydraulic input clutches like an auto(2 shafts) but the drive gears are like a manual.
For a while, all you could do was tag it and turn in core for a factory replacement. Probably where the expensive rep came from but I see aftermarket is making billet clutch hubs, etc. for it now so obviously parts are available to the end user.

Manual vs PDK

T, flying over and racing in the US would definitely be cheaper than what I've been paying over the years...by a Loooooooooong margin. Just nothing I'd ever considered. Thanks for the thought though. :-)
If you come for the food...., you'd never leave...

I just wanted to match you up with some 944 drivers over here and show you where your lost two seconds are....

T
Old 11-10-2017, 04:18 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 409 Posts

What's the price for bremmer?
Old 11-10-2017, 09:39 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Originally Posted by Voith
What's the price for bremmer?
Twenty Five Bones -

https://www.bremershifters.com/shop

Plus you'd need remote kit specific for a 944 that probably not made yet.
Even the shifters themselves look to be pay now, get later.....

T
Old 11-11-2017, 09:38 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 409 Posts

They could send one free test unit to one of us to work it out

Looks good but it's another layer of complication that I'm sure will be sticky in one way or another.

I'll probably just make myself a gated shifter.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:12 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 951and944S
Twenty Five Bones -

https://www.bremershifters.com/shop

Plus you'd need remote kit specific for a 944 that probably not made yet.
Even the shifters themselves look to be pay now, get later.....

T
If you look at the video i posted, with some work i think you can attach it to the 944 box. Look at the H pattern section in the clear box, you can see a a shaft that acts similar to ours. So i think it's possible. It would be interesting to see how the mechanicals inside work. It would be like a Swiss watch, but on a larger scale.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:03 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Originally Posted by Paulyy
If you look at the video i posted, with some work i think you can attach it to the 944 box. Look at the H pattern section in the clear box, you can see a a shaft that acts similar to ours. So i think it's possible. It would be interesting to see how the mechanicals inside work. It would be like a Swiss watch, but on a larger scale.
I'm sure it could be adapted.

In the clear part of their display, there is a shifter rod that moves on two axis just like ours...., but there is an insert with the shift pattern milled into it and a spring loaded detent ball that limits the direction of the axis travel like an external H gate for a shifter that is built into the transmission as a factory feature and not part of the Bremer product .

It's a cool product and definitely fills a niche. but you might want to check with a Porsche manual transmission "guru" first.....

T
Old 11-12-2017, 07:39 AM
blade7
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Or just buy a TT-RS with a stronger engine and S-tronic gearbox...
Old 11-12-2017, 09:47 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 951and944S
I'm sure it could be adapted.

In the clear part of their display, there is a shifter rod that moves on two axis just like ours...., but there is an insert with the shift pattern milled into it and a spring loaded detent ball that limits the direction of the axis travel like an external H gate for a shifter that is built into the transmission as a factory feature and not part of the Bremer product .

It's a cool product and definitely fills a niche. but you might want to check with a Porsche manual transmission "guru" first.....

T
Im sure it can be adapted. Unfortunately dog gears are not cheap for out cars for the next step.

Originally Posted by blade7
Or just buy a TT-RS with a stronger engine and S-tronic gearbox...
not sure what you mean?
Old 12-18-2017, 08:10 PM
SHARKBITEATTACK
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I talked to these guys at SEMA earlier this year. It's really a cool product. Main question I have though is weather it effects the life of your synchros with the faster shifts.

Quick Reply: Bremer shifters (DIY sequential)