Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

another no start gremlin

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 04:10 PM
smkn951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another no start gremlin

a little history on the car. purchased the car with a blown head gasket last year. car ran aside from the milkshake.
took the car apart, replaced all seals and gaskets, replaced all bearings, replaced piston rings, rebuilt engine harness.
a year later installed the engine
the car just turns over, pulled the plug and no spark and no hum from the fuel pump.
jumped the dme pins and the fuel pump works and car has spark, car runs.
took the jumper off and installed the dme relay back in and its buzzing. car still runs but stumbles on acceleration and dies.
rpm reads at 850. it has tack bounce, temp works fan turn on, alternator charging.
i have tested the new dme relay and its within specs along with the other 4 i bought.
reference sensors are gapped and tested and passed.
alarm is installed. i tried bypassing the alarm and it keeps ticking
it has new fuel and filter in it.
please help, i have tried the search and the car would only run when the relay is bypassed.
thanks in advance
Carl
Old 11-03-2017, 08:57 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Trying to understand your post. Are you saying the car runs fine when you bypass the DME relay with a jumper, but when you install the relay the car runs poorly? And you've tried 5 brand new relays and it happens with them all? How are you bypassing the relay?
Old 11-03-2017, 10:42 PM
smkn951
Burning Brakes

correct i have 4 new relays and i ran a jumper where relay is supposed to be in. 3 wire jumper all connected in y configuration connected to the three big female receptacles on the board.
thanks tom
Old 11-04-2017, 09:39 AM
968workaholic
Pro

Either the ground supply from the DME is intermittent and not closing the relay for the fuel pump, or the switched supply from the ignition switch is intermittent. There is a nice diagram on Clarks Garage that has the pin layout for easy testing. The fact that it runs with the relay bypassed indicates that one of the trigger inputs has to be the problem

Quick Reply: another no start gremlin