Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

ABS Conversion 86 951

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 07:06 AM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 72 Posts
Default ABS Conversion 86 951

Hi, im going to retrofit the BMW Teves MK60 ABS system next winter.

But then i need the late offset spindles front, but with what lower arms?

Im also getting new brakes 997 front and rear.

can i buy the 87 NA spindles in front?
Old 11-01-2017, 12:09 AM
968gene
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 30 Posts
Default ABS

To use your current rear trailing arms, you will need to machine the aluminum rear arms to accept the abs sensors and change the stub axles to the late model ABS type.

Or, you could swap out the entire trailing arms with hubs/stub axles from a late model (late offset) car. 944 or 968. This will require new wheels or spacers for your existing wheels.

Last option is is to find late trailing arms with the ABS sensor bosses already machined (with the sensors) from a donor car and just swap out the hubs. Good news is, rear aluminum trailing arms should be pretty cheap. Bad news is, the stub axle but can be a pain to remove.

Note: the difference between the 951 rear trailing arms and models that followed is the machining of the ABS sensor bosses, the offset of the hub, and the ABS ring on the stub axle.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:31 AM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 968gene
To use your current rear trailing arms, you will need to machine the aluminum rear arms to accept the abs sensors and change the stub axles to the late model ABS type.

Or, you could swap out the entire trailing arms with hubs/stub axles from a late model (late offset) car. 944 or 968. This will require new wheels or spacers for your existing wheels.

Last option is is to find late trailing arms with the ABS sensor bosses already machined (with the sensors) from a donor car and just swap out the hubs. Good news is, rear aluminum trailing arms should be pretty cheap. Bad news is, the stub axle but can be a pain to remove.

Note: the difference between the 951 rear trailing arms and models that followed is the machining of the ABS sensor bosses, the offset of the hub, and the ABS ring on the stub axle.
Thanks.
Im going CCW`s with late offset, so ill start gather some new parts.

Are the front spindles from NA? Or do i need Turbo ( are they stronger? )
Old 11-01-2017, 04:38 AM
944crazy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ealoken
Thanks.
Im going CCW`s with late offset, so ill start gather some new parts.

Are the front spindles from NA? Or do i need Turbo ( are they stronger? )
If you are getting late offset wheels then you should get late offset lower control arms. Then you can run the stronger late spindles and hubs and not have any issues with camber.

I am doing something similar to you, but I am keeping my early control arms as I want to keep my low offset wheels. I am upgrading to late n/a hubs and spindles as they should be just as strong as the late turbo/s2 items.

From what I've read, the late n/a hubs are the same as the turbo and s2 hubs, and the PET confirms this. The only difference between the spindles should be the caliper bolt spacing as the n/a and turbo/S2 had different brakes. This wouldn't be an issue though as you'll need custom adapters for your 997 brakes anyway.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:59 AM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 944crazy
If you are getting late offset wheels then you should get late offset lower control arms. Then you can run the stronger late spindles and hubs and not have any issues with camber.

I am doing something similar to you, but I am keeping my early control arms as I want to keep my low offset wheels. I am upgrading to late n/a hubs and spindles as they should be just as strong as the late turbo/s2 items.

From what I've read, the late n/a hubs are the same as the turbo and s2 hubs, and the PET confirms this. The only difference between the spindles should be the caliper bolt spacing as the n/a and turbo/S2 had different brakes. This wouldn't be an issue though as you'll need custom adapters for your 997 brakes anyway.
Late NA is low offset?
What is the difference in wheelbearing ?

This is a next winter project, since this winter is going in the engine - drivetrain department.

Caliper adapters are no problem, front or rear.

Thanks
Old 11-01-2017, 05:58 AM
944crazy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Late N/A is late (high) offset. But the spindles don't actually change the offset, the lower control arms do (and the tie rods). The early and late spindles have different strut mounts though to cater for the different angle of the struts due to the extended control arms. So in my case, I will have problems with getting enough camber as I am getting late spindles but keeping my early control arms. You won't have this problem if you get late control arms to go with the late spindles.

I believe all late offset hubs and bearings are the same, apart from the non abs ones which don't have the abs ring I think.

This is all stuff I've gathered from reading by the way...I'm yet to see how it will work out in reality ;-)

I have some late n/a hubs and spindles coming in the mail, I'll rebuild them with new wheel bearings and then get some custom adapters made to mount big reds on them with cayenne 330mm rotors. The only thing I am unsure about is whether or not I'll still get enough camber with the late spindles and retaining my early control arms.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:40 PM
vwmann1
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you're interested I can build you a MK60 CSL kit for your 944. I have been running this set up on my s2 race car for the last four years without issue. very fast system for the price. PM me for details!

Quick Reply: ABS Conversion 86 951