Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

944 will not start back up after running strong for 2 months prior

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 06:54 PM
Jack--
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944 will not start back up after running strong for 2 months prior

So I was driving around and go to pull in the clutch to down shift. Then the engines dies. It almost sounded like it ran out of gas but didn't really cough like it ran out of gas. But now it will not start back up. You just sit there and crank it. Nothing happens. I allready therized the ignition system and or fuel sys. Wanted a second opinion.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:25 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Pull a plug and sniff for fuel. Take a peak at the timing belt while the engine is cranking to make sure the camshaft is turning. Put a timing light on a plug wire to see if spark is getting to the plug.

Those tests should narrow the list of potential problems.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:28 PM
Jack--
3rd Gear

Thank u will give it a go
Old 10-30-2017, 09:22 PM
NCLA951
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does the tach bounce when cranking?
Old 10-31-2017, 10:19 PM
Jack--
3rd Gear

Default Sorry for late reply

Originally Posted by NCLA951
Does the tach bounce when cranking?
I do not recall exactly. I want to say no. Can I get a response to yes and no?
Old 11-01-2017, 10:30 AM
thatoneforrest
3rd Gear

Hey guys i'm a high school student who has a 1987 944 S. I cannot get it to start. I have replaced the DME Relay. I just now finally got fuel to the engine but i still cannot get it to start. I have spark with the spark plugs. Need help on what to do next.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:10 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

How did you confirm you have spark and fuel?
Old 11-01-2017, 01:38 PM
Dash01
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

1.) Try jiggling the sensor plugs while an assistant turns the key to crank the car, to see if she starts or sputters. If so, there's your fault source.

2.) Check the condition of the crank position and reference sensors, especially the condition of the plugs mounted at the rear of the intake manifold.

This could account for your sudden won't-start issue, as those plugs can fail suddenly as the internal plastic crumbles after years of hot/cold cycles. When the speed and reference sensors go, this is typically the problem, not the pickup coil buried down at the bell housing.

Carefully disconnect the sensor cables, so you don't spill any broken plastic bits inside--the outside of the plugs may look fine, but the inner plastic is not so durable and the little wires get loose so don't connect anymore. But, if cracked internally, and if carefully kept from spilling the bits out on dis-assembly, the cracks could be fixed with a few drops of Superglue, etc. The plugs could then be used again as the wires will be secure with good continuity.

Otherwise, the sensor cable plugs each have three (+. -, ground) internal wires, and these could be soldered together to restore electrical continuity so the car runs.

I wish I'd known this when my 951 suddenly quit, as the fault was with the speed sensor cable plug. But, by the time I figured that out, I'd already pretty much ruined chances of speed sensor plug repair and wound up removing the intake manifold and replacing sensor cables and vac hoses while in there, otherwise a very good idea.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:06 AM
thatoneforrest
3rd Gear

Default Thanks

Hey got it running yesterday during school. The belt that goes on the alternator and ac compressor was off. I put that back on and she turned over just fine. Now its time to change the clutch.

Quick Reply: 944 will not start back up after running strong for 2 months prior