Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

First Engine Rebuild - Decisions?

Old 12-30-2018, 01:09 AM
Dave W.
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ekoz
I don't think you can go wrong with driven 15W50. I use synthetic and was using valvoline 20w50 VR1 when I spun the bearing. Generally I like to change oil after each event, but our events are typically all weekend, but it really depends on the engine. I"m not sure my original build was ever full sorted....I mean the oil would turn black very quickly so I think there was quite a bit of blow by on the rings. We will see how this one goes. Obviously the track and driver have a lot to do with it as well.
Be aware that cold oil is thick oil, and viscous drag tries to spin the rod bearings if you rev the engine too high before it's warmed up. I like to use tight bearing clearances and thick oil, so I generally keep it below 4k rpm until the oil temp reaches 160*F.
Old 12-30-2018, 01:12 AM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ekoz
that is quite a change in consumption. You might start a new thread to get more replies to your question. IMO 70 hours is a fair amount of track time if your pushing it hard.

I know some racers do tear downs each season. I'm certainly not an engine expert but would be curious what takes the most abuse. Meaning if you wanted to do some preventive things periodically without doing a complete rebuild. An example would be do the rod bearings.....easy enough job with engine in car.
My 1/2 quart after a 25-minute estimate is probably high - it's probably more like 1/4 of a quart. I check the oil level after every other session or so, but never saw it budge over several years of checking, so I didn't check it for four sessions or so, and was alarmed to find the level at the halfway point on the dip stick. I topped it up, ran another session, and checked it again, and was down maybe 1/8" below the top line, which doesn't sound like much, but it's not normal behavior for my engine. I sent an oil sample to Blackstone Labs today, and will do a compression test after refilling with fresh oil (unless the analysis tells me my engine is toast, which seems unlikely, as it isn't smoking, and still seems to be making decent power), but I have to order some more oil. If the analysis and compression test indicate things aren't all well with my engine, I agree that I should start a new thread and seek advice on what I should do. Thanks for the advice.
Old 12-30-2018, 09:50 AM
ekoz
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dave W.
Be aware that cold oil is thick oil, and viscous drag tries to spin the rod bearings if you rev the engine too high before it's warmed up. I like to use tight bearing clearances and thick oil, so I generally keep it below 4k rpm until the oil temp reaches 160*F.
good advice....I didn't have an oil temp gauge before (do now) and I'm surprised how long it takes the oil to come up to temp. granted it is cold here but still. The coolant is warm by the time I'm out of the subdivision but it seems like the oil takes forever. I'm sure I was on the track a time or two with "cold" before based on what I see now. live and learn.
Old 12-30-2018, 03:58 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Sorry to have sidetracked this thread a little, but it was very timely considering the sudden spike in my engine's oil consumption, but something occurred to me. My sudden increase in oil consumption coincides exactly with the replacement of my 255/40-17 tires with 275/35-17's (both on 17 x 10.5" Signature SV103 forged alloys). The tires definitely increased the car's grip, so that I'm able to get to full throttle significantly earlier than before, with the net effect of being at full throttle for a larger percentage of a lap than with the previous tires. This combined with the new tires' extra weight and rolling resistance (they're a stickier compound, with a 100 wear rating), results in significantly more strain on my modest output engine. Could this extra demand on the engine explain the higher oil consumption, without there necessarily being anything fundamentally wrong? The oil analysis should shed some light, but I was wondering if my theory is plausible. Thanks.
Old 12-30-2018, 06:11 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelmount123
...Note that 9442.5 NA, 2.7NA, 951, 944S/S2 and 968 all have different cylinder head oil passage valves, but all have a similar function...
@michaelmount123 first I’ve heard of this, curious what the difference is especially as a lot of us are running 2.5NA and 2.7NA heads on our 951’s? Also, if the difference is pertinent do you swap the 951 valve into the 2.5/2.7NA head when they are used in a 951 or do they still retain their respective valves? Thanks
Old 12-30-2018, 06:59 PM
michaelmount123
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by MAGK944

@michaelmount123 first I’ve heard of this, curious what the difference is especially as a lot of us are running 2.5NA and 2.7NA heads on our 951’s? Also, if the difference is pertinent do you swap the 951 valve into the 2.5/2.7NA head when they are used in a 951 or do they still retain their respective valves? Thanks
Didn't mean to create confusion... The valves are specific to the type of cylinder head. DO NOT swap the valve for one that's meant for a different style cylinder head.
Old 12-30-2018, 07:36 PM
ekoz
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cloud9...68
Sorry to have sidetracked this thread a little, but it was very timely considering the sudden spike in my engine's oil consumption, but something occurred to me. My sudden increase in oil consumption coincides exactly with the replacement of my 255/40-17 tires with 275/35-17's (both on 17 x 10.5" Signature SV103 forged alloys). The tires definitely increased the car's grip, so that I'm able to get to full throttle significantly earlier than before, with the net effect of being at full throttle for a larger percentage of a lap than with the previous tires. This combined with the new tires' extra weight and rolling resistance (they're a stickier compound, with a 100 wear rating), results in significantly more strain on my modest output engine. Could this extra demand on the engine explain the higher oil consumption, without there necessarily being anything fundamentally wrong? The oil analysis should shed some light, but I was wondering if my theory is plausible. Thanks.
Theory is certainly plausible. I think the running joke is "I just turned my fasted lap and then the engine let loose". Which is exactly what happened to me....I was banging the rev limiter in 4th gear down the straight, which I never did before because I bought some sticky track tires and could exit the oval quicker.

Thought I'd post a pic....since I've been driving it everyday putting on miles.....225 so far. Had these spare wheels in the garage so put them on since they have street rubber. the track tires were just too damn annoying for driving around.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First Engine Rebuild - Decisions?