Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

618.2whp @ 17psi

Old 10-22-2017, 10:51 PM
robstah
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Performance Developments
We have to get to the bottom of why the block cracked, then we can turn up the boost, adjust the cams, Ignition advance etc and see if it does what I expect it to.
If everything was buttoned up and squared away, I would look towards half and second order vibrations, especially spinning the motor as quickly as y'all are doing. Also, I noticed a pinned girdle, which may or may not have added a weak point in the block elsewhere.

As for the seasoning of the BMW F1 M12 blocks, those were cast iron, where imperfections in the casting are at a smaller degree of worry compared to a cast aluminum block. If I remember right, the M10 based engines were closed deck as well. Plus, those engines used, what, up to 80% toluene to achieve their amazing numbers, so I wouldn't use that as a legitimate base for 4 cylinder high horsepower applications (overall stroke was far less too, and engines were extremely peaky).

You would be surprised what vibrations occur and are shown when using the NVH app or a picoscope on a stock NA without balance shafts. Back when I was dealing wtih BMW straight sixes, we ran into 3rd order vibrations when revving past 7100RPM, sometimes bad enough to snap bolts, loosen bolts, and more importantly snapping/spinning off the oil pump nut. That was no fun at all.

A billet block might be the answer, since the cast aluminum might age worse, not better in terms of heat cycling and vibrations, and you are really crossing your fingers for a perfect casting versus what would be a slight imperfection/air bubble or two which would easily pass inspection due to the range of stock horsepower.

Either way, I wish you and Patrick the best of luck. Pioneering in this field and build can definitely be exhausting, not only to the pocket book, but also emotionally. Best wishes.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:52 PM
944crazy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulyy
Nope, Im Ilieski. Im close with Paul K though. You may or may have not seen me, i was around hit pits quite a bit giving him a hand when need be. If you saw the DIY brake booster shield, that was my handy work LOL

No prices. Im assuming ETA will be before WTAC 2019. and most likely early spindles. But im sure they'll do Late also.
Usually they'll be built to order anyway so you can specify dimensions ect and surely they can do it.
Haha, if I knew what you looked like I would have had a chat
2019 is a fair while away...I think I might do a big black (or equivalent) upgrade in the meantime, with cayenne rotors. Seems quite cost effective.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:11 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 944crazy
Haha, if I knew what you looked like I would have had a chat
2019 is a fair while away...I think I might do a big black (or equivalent) upgrade in the meantime, with cayenne rotors. Seems quite cost effective.
2018 my mistake! (next year)
Now you do!

I'm hoping they're cheaper than the 993 upgrade as they're quite pricey. Or the same as you'll be getting better bang for buck. Brypar discs are very nice too.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:04 AM
944crazy
Pro

Originally Posted by Paulyy
2018 my mistake! (next year)
Now you do!

I'm hoping they're cheaper than the 993 upgrade as they're quite pricey. Or the same as you'll be getting better bang for buck. Brypar discs are very nice too.
Yeah the genuine 993 calipers are insanely expensive, unless you happen to come across a good 2nd hand deal. The cayenne rotors are great bang for buck though, only $200 AUD for a pair of quality Bosch 330mm rotors. Wouldn't be as light as some nice two piece Brypars though.

Then there's these big red copies...I'm a bit uneasy about using knock off brakes, but they would be a great deal if they were of good quality.
https://www.paragon-products.com/Por...0.0567.004.htm (cheaper from other UK vendors)

Or for the same price, I could get used genuine 928 S4 (m030) calipers, and run those with cayenne discs.

And another option would be equivalent sized calipers from other cars. Evo 7/8/9 brembos run the same pad as the 933 big reds, albeit with a different backing plate. Plenty of those calipers on gumtree for under 1k...but they would require a custom set of adapters. And they also have 40/46mm pistons which are a lot larger than the 36/44mm 933 pistons, so could result in a increased brake pedal distance.

Sorry for the off topic rambling in your thread Patrick ;-)
Old 10-23-2017, 12:09 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 944crazy
Yeah the genuine 993 calipers are insanely expensive, unless you happen to come across a good 2nd hand deal. The cayenne rotors are great bang for buck though, only $200 AUD for a pair of quality Bosch 330mm rotors. Wouldn't be as light as some nice two piece Brypars though.

Then there's these big red copies...I'm a bit uneasy about using knock off brakes, but they would be a great deal if they were of good quality.
https://www.paragon-products.com/Por...0.0567.004.htm (cheaper from other UK vendors)

Or for the same price, I could get used genuine 928 S4 (m030) calipers, and run those with cayenne discs.

And another option would be equivalent sized calipers from other cars. Evo 7/8/9 brembos run the same pad as the 933 big reds, albeit with a different backing plate. Plenty of those calipers on gumtree for under 1k...but they would require a custom set of adapters. And they also have 40/46mm pistons which are a lot larger than the 36/44mm 933 pistons, so could result in a increased brake pedal distance.

Sorry for the off topic rambling in your thread Patrick ;-)
Im no brake expert, but i just assume all calipers are the same with the difference of sizes and piston sizes ect. unless they have some sort of internal differences??
Those Dansk ones are pretty cheap! I'll try get a price now.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:32 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

It was heartbreaking seeing this unfold first hand and really sorry it was not something that could have been fixed by some long hours in the shop with a few extra hands from Sweden.

You got a great package and your car is beautifully fabricated and very well put together. And obviously the engine package works extremely well in terms of power and powerband!
A new block and you will be back!

See you guys next year
Old 10-23-2017, 01:33 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 631 Likes on 489 Posts

that's all good info, but what size throttle body should it run?

Originally Posted by robstah
If everything was buttoned up and squared away, I would look towards half and second order vibrations, especially spinning the motor as quickly as y'all are doing. Also, I noticed a pinned girdle, which may or may not have added a weak point in the block elsewhere.

As for the seasoning of the BMW F1 M12 blocks, those were cast iron, where imperfections in the casting are at a smaller degree of worry compared to a cast aluminum block. If I remember right, the M10 based engines were closed deck as well. Plus, those engines used, what, up to 80% toluene to achieve their amazing numbers, so I wouldn't use that as a legitimate base for 4 cylinder high horsepower applications (overall stroke was far less too, and engines were extremely peaky).

You would be surprised what vibrations occur and are shown when using the NVH app or a picoscope on a stock NA without balance shafts. Back when I was dealing wtih BMW straight sixes, we ran into 3rd order vibrations when revving past 7100RPM, sometimes bad enough to snap bolts, loosen bolts, and more importantly snapping/spinning off the oil pump nut. That was no fun at all.

A billet block might be the answer, since the cast aluminum might age worse, not better in terms of heat cycling and vibrations, and you are really crossing your fingers for a perfect casting versus what would be a slight imperfection/air bubble or two which would easily pass inspection due to the range of stock horsepower.

Either way, I wish you and Patrick the best of luck. Pioneering in this field and build can definitely be exhausting, not only to the pocket book, but also emotionally. Best wishes.
welcome back...
Old 10-24-2017, 12:23 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke
It was heartbreaking seeing this unfold first hand and really sorry it was not something that could have been fixed by some long hours in the shop with a few extra hands from Sweden.

You got a great package and your car is beautifully fabricated and very well put together. And obviously the engine package works extremely well in terms of power and powerband!
A new block and you will be back!

See you guys next year
Thanks Gustaf. It was great to finally catch up with you person to person. **** does happen, so sorry to have 'pulled down the blinds' when the incident happened. Didn't much feel like being there. Hope you guys can come down again...with the Green Monster in 2018!
Old 10-24-2017, 01:03 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Thanks Gustaf. It was great to finally catch up with you person to person. **** does happen, so sorry to have 'pulled down the blinds' when the incident happened. Didn't much feel like being there. Hope you guys can come down again...with the Green Monster in 2018!
Old 10-24-2017, 02:25 AM
944crazy
Pro

If you, Rod and Gustaf are all out on track at WTAC next year I'll probably have to see a doctor on account of having an erection lasting for more than 3 hours.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:15 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

dial the power back 140hp and mass produce it for the street....

the cure for the member's affliction.

are those really the headers?
Old 04-07-2018, 07:12 PM
964-C2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any update on your car / engine? I really hope you will get it fixed and back on the track.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:26 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Not anytime soon. Probably that's it. But thanks for the well wishes.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:09 AM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

That sucks.

This place has really slowed down a lot and posts/threads that I really enjoy (hi perf and racing) are fewer and farther between.

Whatever parts I can round up here stateside to help you out, just PM me and I'll see what I can do.

And.....as long as you can bring some credentials.....offer still stands if you are ever stateside and want to try your hand in a spec class.

T
Old 04-09-2018, 10:41 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Sucks that you dont enjoy the car anymore. Hopefully one day you can get back driving it one way or another.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 618.2whp @ 17psi