618.2whp @ 17psi

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 08:27 AM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
T what's wrong with Boxster/996 stuff?
strut attaches different but must be some way around that ?
Nothing is wrong with them, and the strut could be addressed, you are absolutely right.

Except that one of the criteria for me (and Max, and I'd guess hard core racers) is to raise the center line of the wheel hub .750-1.00" to effectively lower the car chassis through a physical means like the Kokeln rear piece without having to drastically change geometry of the arm or use the extended ball joint pin.

That said, I don't know what the real measured distance between the ball joint mating surface and the hub bearing centerline is on these (yet) so I can't really comment.

I definitely like the fact that it uses a factory greased "hub bearing" like more modern stuff...., just like the 944 rear.
It's widely available.
It already has the 5 x 130 bolt pattern (Boxster wheels fit a 944).
The steering tie rod receiver is on the right side (leading).

I can get a used one, complete with upright, hub bearing, hub and rotor for $50....

T
Old 10-19-2017, 02:16 PM
Eric_k
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just catching up with this thread, sorry to hear about your car Patrick.

You can view this not as a set back but as an "upgrade opportunity". My only advice is to NOT look at the big picture, that will only discourage you. Get the car cleaned up and start bit by bit. I have had several "upgrade opportunities" over the years.

Fire is scary. Having had my engine on fire going 120mph, your picture brings back some PTSD. Having a fire system is good (and I do) but when I saw flames inside the car and felt the intense heat I didn't even think of pushing the fire button. I was so concentrated on getting out of the car as soon as possible even moving my arm towards the button wasn't time I was going to take. Until you are in the situation what you think/plan you'll do and what you actually do may be different.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:17 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Thanks Eric. Understand completely and that's the tack I'm taking, or plan to take over the next many months. Fire, that's a whole other world!
Old 10-20-2017, 01:10 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

As a point of reference the national level stock class Boxster I crew chiefed for required constant wheel bearing changes. The Boxster / 911 bearings are not very strong!!!
Old 10-20-2017, 03:25 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Originally Posted by Chris White
As a point of reference the national level stock class Boxster I crew chiefed for required constant wheel bearing changes. The Boxster / 911 bearings are not very strong!!!
Kinda ditched the Box swap idea about 3o minutes after posting the upright pic....

For one, they run the GT3 lower control arm because they can't get enough camber adjustment (tube fit = no lower eccentric) with the upper slider.
I didn't even bother measurements after that to see if they would in fact lower944 ride height on their own.

T
Old 10-20-2017, 03:55 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by 951and944S
Except that one of the criteria for me (and Max, and I'd guess hard core racers) is to raise the center line of the wheel hub .750-1.00" to effectively lower the car chassis through a physical means like the Kokeln rear piece without having to drastically change geometry of the arm or use the extended ball joint pin.

T
friend of mine with an old 911 cut and re-welded the "flanges" on the shock body so the car sat lower when all hooked up at the spindle.

looking at a 944 spindle/lower BJ/strut arrangement it looks like you might be able to do that for an inch or so.

or, could you use early 944 control arms+bolt-on BJs, but stick a spacer between the arm/BJ to lower the arm/crossmember/chassis relative to the spindle?
Old 10-20-2017, 04:58 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Raceboy
Transmission losses are not a percentage of engine power but fairly constant number that changes with variables but not that much. Yes, bigger power means a bit bigger loss but not that it is linear with power produced (=percentage).
Example: a car that produces say 100 whp then driveline losses are 15% which makes engine power app. 115 hp.

But when you increase engine power to say 800 whp, it means that 120 hp (~89 kw) goes to heat? 89 kW of heat would require cooling system on regular 944 so that trans would not melt itself.

With 800 whp the losses are more like 25-30 hp max and as I mentioned, it depends on gearbox oil temp (and tolerances change with temp), wheel bearing temp etc.

Several years ago I tuned Mercedes AMG 5.5liter supercharged engine on an engine dyno and we got 644 hp. Guy installed it into car (R129 bodied SL500) and dynoed it on Dynapack (hub dyno) and got 596 whp and that was with automatic gearbox with huge cooler.
I'd never heard this Peep. Are you positive? Only ever heard it described as a % loss, but what you say actually sounds right. Why would the amount lost change due to hp/tq increase provided all the driveline stays the same. Interesting.

Originally Posted by Chris White
Thanks for the tip Chris. That's a bit alarming.

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
friend of mine with an old 911 cut and re-welded the "flanges" on the shock body so the car sat lower when all hooked up at the spindle.

looking at a 944 spindle/lower BJ/strut arrangement it looks like you might be able to do that for an inch or so.

or, could you use early 944 control arms+bolt-on BJs, but stick a spacer between the arm/BJ to lower the arm/crossmember/chassis relative to the spindle?
The problem in re-using all these old spindles...they're old. Depending on how much stress goes through them, I'd be careful loading up all these old 944 parts. Gustaf had a failure on part of one of his uprights although I think that was a 996 component. It caused him to have a crash that could have been much worse. Not saying that everyone has to go out and spend a fortune on billet uprights...but for some it makes sense.
Old 10-22-2017, 05:49 AM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
I'd never heard this Peep. Are you positive? Only ever heard it described as a % loss, but what you say actually sounds right. Why would the amount lost change due to hp/tq increase provided all the driveline stays the same. Interesting.
It is a long known fact in the circles of tuners and engineers
It's just the percentage has grown to people for ages and of course it makes for more hp on the flywheel as you go higher on whp
I started to think about it several years ago and verified it with my own tests on few cars (first was the AMG I mentioned).

It is true that FWD and rear engine RWD (like 911) has lowest losses due to less components to spin and transaxle cars and AWD cars have highest though.
To some extent driveline losses can be measured by coasting the dyno down with clutch depressed on some dynos but that is also only approximate value (though much more accurate than just throwing in percentage).
Old 10-22-2017, 07:23 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Well all the same I've heard plenty of experienced Engineers and tuners refer to a % drivetrain loss.
But the more you think about it, the more it seems reasonable that the loss doesn't change just because you're making more or less power. All the hardware that saps a bit of power remains unchanged. I'm sure it's not as simple as this but I've not read a lot of discussion about it.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:04 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The problem in re-using all these old spindles...they're old. Depending on how much stress goes through them, I'd be careful loading up all these old 944 parts. Gustaf had a failure on part of one of his uprights although I think that was a 996 component. It caused him to have a crash that could have been much worse. Not saying that everyone has to go out and spend a fortune on billet uprights...but for some it makes sense.
That's the problem we face. I know i dont have as much stress on mine as you would on yours.
After a good long chat with Brypar i'd love to run their spindles. Unfortunately for my class, it's not allowed. But they are doing a front brake package, not sure about rear though. It will be better than the 993 brakes. probably similar to your fronts im assuming.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:38 AM
951and944S
Race Car

Well all the same I've heard plenty of experienced Engineers and tuners refer to a % drivetrain loss.
But the more you think about it, the more it seems reasonable that the loss doesn't change just because you're making more or less power. All the hardware that saps a bit of power remains unchanged. I'm sure it's not as simple as this but I've not read a lot of discussion about it.
Torque tube bearings, transmission output flange through the rear wheel bearings, etc, these losses would be close to the same because the load is merely rotational in one plane but when you add thrust of angle cut transmission gears, losses should increase exponentially with power.

T
Old 10-22-2017, 11:25 AM
951and944S
Race Car

Originally Posted by Paulyy
That's the problem we face. I know i dont have as much stress on mine as you would on yours.
After a good long chat with Brypar i'd love to run their spindles. Unfortunately for my class, it's not allowed. But they are doing a front brake package, not sure about rear though. It will be better than the 993 brakes. probably similar to your fronts im assuming.
Tell us about what you learned about the Brypars.

T
Old 10-22-2017, 08:37 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 951and944S
Tell us about what you learned about the Brypars.

T
Im not sure what your asking me?
My chat with them was more about the brakes. A direct bolt on caliper, Hubs and discs. It will obviously be better than the current approach - 993 turbo brakes.

If you're asking about the uprights, i didn't speak to them much about them as i can't run them so didn't need to get into details.

If you're questioning their products, well.. A lot of open, Pro AM & pro class cars run Brypar uprights. If they weren't good, they wouldn't run them. that simple.

Australian made.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:40 PM
944crazy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulyy
Im not sure what your asking me?
My chat with them was more about the brakes. A direct bolt on caliper, Hubs and discs. It will obviously be better than the current approach - 993 turbo brakes.

If you're asking about the uprights, i didn't speak to them much about them as i can't run them so didn't need to get into details.

If you're questioning their products, well.. A lot of open, Pro AM & pro class cars run Brypar uprights. If they weren't good, they wouldn't run them. that simple.

Australian made.
Any more info on the brakes Pauly? Also, you aren't Paul Kovaceski are you? Cos I had a chat to him at WTAC and he mentioned the Brypar brake upgrade kit as well. Will it be to suit late offset hubs and spindles? Any idea on price and ETA?
Old 10-22-2017, 10:47 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 944crazy
Any more info on the brakes Pauly? Also, you aren't Paul Kovaceski are you? Cos I had a chat to him at WTAC and he mentioned the Brypar brake upgrade kit as well. Will it be to suit late offset hubs and spindles? Any idea on price and ETA?
Nope, Im Ilieski. Im close with Paul K though. You may or may have not seen me, i was around hit pits quite a bit giving him a hand when need be. If you saw the DIY brake booster shield, that was my handy work LOL

No prices. Im assuming ETA will be before WTAC 2019. and most likely early spindles. But im sure they'll do Late also.
Usually they'll be built to order anyway so you can specify dimensions ect and surely they can do it.

Quick Reply: 618.2whp @ 17psi