Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

618.2whp @ 17psi

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 01:02 AM
OzJustin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Geez that is horrible news. Patrick I think your car is cursed!
Old 10-13-2017, 04:47 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 408 Posts

Wow, that's some power. Good luck!

EDIT: ****, didn't see last page..
Old 10-13-2017, 05:28 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Pretty much shattered at the moment. Had too much bad luck over the last 10 years. Very hard to think rationally about it all. Just need some time away from it. Being glass half full, Paul had flames into the cabin and he escaped unscathed except for smoke inhalation. Despite there being a total lack of Fire marshalls or even extinguishers at each post as it was a practice day, the car could have burned to the ground if Paul hadn't bravely kept driving until he could find help. So the damage isn't too bad. Very disappointing to yet again fail to compete at this event. It would be easy to feel cursed I can tell you.

I don't want to go into detail as to the 'hows and whys' as there would be too much speculation and I can't give real answers. Car is going to be dumped in a corner of the shop as I am too broke to continue at this stage. Make me an offer Lart!

Last edited by 333pg333; 04-09-2018 at 08:36 AM.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:01 AM
Pauerman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So sorry to read and see the news Patrick.
Take a breath buddy, you're a warrior when it comes to this stuff.
Thanks for representing us!! You've invested so much effort and relentless passion that feeling your pain right now is shared on many levels.

Keep your head up!! You've accomplished so much that so many of us only wish we could touch. Enjoy your beers 👍
Old 10-13-2017, 06:17 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

You now have all the right parts to make a great engine - 16V top end, exhaust, turbo, ECU, etc. All the time-consuming and costly work of figuring out all the details to get the car to run has already been done, and if all it takes to get the ball rolling again is a shortblock, as the current crankshaft, rods and even perhaps the pistons could be reused, then that really should not be a big deal compared with all you have been through and $pent in the last 10 years.

If anything I can only suggest to have another shortblock made locally. Considering all the variables involved in such a project, especially on an exotic engine set up, I would not risk having to deal with an engine builder which I could not visit whenever I can/want to clear things up as the build goes on.

That is assuming the current block is really shagged, which may not even be the case. Look at how Duke is still successfully running on the same 968 block, which broke once, was successfully repaired and now making 770hp and putting large turbos on their knees...

Last edited by Thom; 10-13-2017 at 06:39 AM.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:03 AM
Penguinracer
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Patrick, I'm sorry to hear of your woes.

At least Paul was ok.

Don't make any decisions in haste, just take some time out to absorb the situation and start thinking of potential next steps.

I certainly don't need to tell you that anything to do with motorsport is cripplingly expensive.

It'll suck your wallet dry & rip out the lining before handing the empty leather carcase back & then thinking better of it pocket that too!

I hope most of the motor is reusable.

Tim
Old 10-13-2017, 09:28 AM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Pretty much shattered at the moment. Had too much bad luck over the last 10 years. Very hard to think rationally about it all. Just need some time away from it. Being glass half full, Paul had flames into the cabin and he escaped unscathed except for smoke inhalation. Despite their being a total lack of Fire marshalls or even extinguishers at each post as it was a practice day, the car could have burned to the ground if Paul hadn't bravely kept driving until he could find help. So the damage isn't too bad. Very disappointing to yet again fail to compete at this event. It would be easy to feel cursed I can tell you.

I don't want to go into detail as to the 'hows and whys' as there would be too much speculation and I can't give real answers. Car is going to be dumped in a corner of the shop as I am too broke to continue at this stage. Make me an offer Lart!
I've been there. Certainly not on the level of investment but the feeling is the same. Been out in front with a car, 100% my own creation and my son putting the spank on a national leader so bad, all he could do was come over to our area and hang his head and shake his hand, only to ventilate the block with a snapped rod in the penultimate Sunday enduro.
Nobody to blame but myself even though I know it was out of my control except for constant "what if I would have just"....,

You'll get over it.

The thing that will push you is, the respect of fellow competitors for not leaving defeated.

If any thought is crossing your mind to change powerplants, I will personally start you a go-fund-me page and be the first donor.

Clean that car thoroughly before you stick it in a corner. Some of those extinguisher chemicals are bad news.

T
Old 10-13-2017, 10:03 AM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry for your troubles Patrick, I know the feeling.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:10 AM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Sorry to hear. Your work has been very inspiring!
Old 10-13-2017, 12:58 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by disasterman
Sorry for your troubles Patrick, I know the feeling.
I hear ya buddy. Flames in the cabin are... exciting in a bad way. This is how my season ended during the first race weekend of the summer. It happens and we can rebuild... just takes time and money.

Name:  lbSn51nh.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  165.1 KB
Name:  bK6QMxQh.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  151.9 KB
Old 10-13-2017, 01:06 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

Pat, double or nothing, time for a cast-steel block.
Weight be damned!
Old 10-13-2017, 02:22 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hang in there Patrick.
Old 10-13-2017, 03:17 PM
nick_968
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Patrick really sorry to hear about the fire. Hope you get to the route cause asap and move on. No doubt you will be back
Old 10-13-2017, 03:22 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I'll help you out in anyway I can. List off the parts you need and I'll see what I can check off that list for you. I'm greatfull I still have them and my life with the wildfires around me every year. 28 dead due to them here in California as of yeasterday. It could be worse. This to shall pass, and everything happens for a reason even thou we don't know or understand what that reason is for. Just ask for help and you will get it. Your still alive. The glass is always half full.
Old 10-14-2017, 12:02 AM
Performance Developments
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am gutted for Patrick. He has invested a huge amount of money into the engine and the car, to get to this event.

At this time all we know is the block has suffered two cracks one on each side what appears to be approx half way down from the deck. What has caused these I do not know but hopefully some critical inspection will allow us to establish a cause of failure.

Although the engine performance matched what we were tasked to do and matched our sim work, what has happened makes all of this useless if the engine is not reliable. Sometimes you can understand a failure if you push the engine too hard and lose a component, but to have the block fail this way is something we have not seen before and hard to understand.

We are getting the little 2.5L 2V development engine Patrick used last year back for its freshen up. It has little use, but we will look inside and make it "brand new" again. This engine made over 525 WHP and can run up and beyond 8000 RPM. It will be for sale and I may even entertain selling the lower end and the head/cam assy separate. Patrick has some financial investment in some of the parts so if this engine was to sell it would be a huge help to Patrick getting running again.

Quick Reply: 618.2whp @ 17psi