Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

618.2whp @ 17psi

Old 10-10-2017, 12:29 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333

Hopefully we won't have a ton of bugs to iron out. The crank signal issue may be how the Flywheel's teeth have been cut. Too late to change that so we just have to hope it doesn't rear it's head on the track. More charts to follow.
So you run a stock sensor in the stock bell housing location...?

Do you have the sensor bracket with the aluminum sleeve that the sensor slides in or just the sensor exposed..?

Could be just RF noise.

On one of our cars, when cranking (mostly hot), the starter field would trick the sensor into firing a cylinder out of time that caused a violent kick back, bad enough that it seemed like the starter might break the bell housing.
I traded out the bracket with the type that houses the sensor in an aluminum sleeve and problem was resolved permanently.

The unshielded type is susceptible to RF noise and cross talk, keeping in mind (if factory oriented) that the large terminal on the starter receives charge output from the alternator so is in the vicinity of the bell housing.

Not much we can do for you re. emergency spare parts, etc., so best of luck to y'all....!

T
Old 10-10-2017, 03:31 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Thanks for the good wishes everyone.

T, I don't know if it's the stock sensor or a Motec one. Some years ago we wound up running the Clewett setup at the front of the motor but later switched back to stock location. The issue is probably with how the teeth are cut on this 60-2 flywheel and the sensor is getting a little upset by it. They sorted it out but we might need to re machine the flywheel at some stage.

Off to the track shortly for first shakedown. Hopefully we don't find too many bugs but better today than tomorrow or the next day. Event starts in 2 days.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:14 PM
OzJustin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the latest engine build Patrick. Good luck on the first shakedown too.

Is there a live feed for WTAC this year? I'll keep an eye out for Darth Vader (or did you end up changing the paint?)
Old 10-10-2017, 11:00 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Way to go! Awesome!
Old 10-10-2017, 11:33 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by OzJustin
Congrats on the latest engine build Patrick. Good luck on the first shakedown too.

Is there a live feed for WTAC this year? I'll keep an eye out for Darth Vader (or did you end up changing the paint?)
Should be on the website. or if you have gran turismo sport demo, they're streaming it too, but i think that's australia only.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:40 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Car is still black. In fact it could do with an update. It's good from far and far from good...up close. It will still look ok in pics I'd say. Still looks like this. Wish we had time to have built the new Aero package...well time and money. Still, we'll go there under the radar a little and are not putting unrealistic expectations on ourselves. The competition is very fast and they've been testing a lot more than us. The best thing I believe we have apart from a good car, is the best driver in our Class and in fact in the top handful of the whole event.

https://www.worldtimeattack.com/
Attached Images  
Old 10-11-2017, 04:44 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Oh and T, yes it was the stock sensor in the stock location and did lead to some signal errors again today. Doing a 5 hour round trip today to only cut 2-3 laps was somewhat frustrating. However on the good side, we had no leaks, no overheating, no fires...nada! The only thing was this crank sync ref error which we've had and filtered out before. Decided to pack everything up again and drive it back to the shop after the 2 laps. Built a new sensor mount and moved it. Also using a newer more efficient sensor. Apparently the engineer said everything is all rosy now. Yay!!
Old 10-11-2017, 09:16 AM
Penguinracer
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Very impressive Patrick.
Those are great numbers!

A quick question for you - how did you find the Clewett set-up & what persuaded you to return to flywheel triggering?

I'm asking for selfish reasons - I have the Clewett rig & am wondering if I should use it or attempt to run with a hall sensor against a Spec steel flywheel (the LR one) - this flywheel may be slightly smaller diameter (perhaps 0.5") than stock.

This is for a road car using the Emtron KV8.

Tim
Old 10-11-2017, 11:48 AM
951and944S
Race Car

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Oh and T, yes it was the stock sensor in the stock location and did lead to some signal errors again today. Doing a 5 hour round trip today to only cut 2-3 laps was somewhat frustrating. However on the good side, we had no leaks, no overheating, no fires...nada! The only thing was this crank sync ref error which we've had and filtered out before. Decided to pack everything up again and drive it back to the shop after the 2 laps. Built a new sensor mount and moved it. Also using a newer more efficient sensor. Apparently the engineer said everything is all rosy now. Yay!!
That's great news.

I don't know about a lot of the ECUs people here use where allowable by rule set but I assume for sure that Motec has this capability...., but I have a customer and friend that runs DTA FAST out of the UK (I used a an earlier version myself and have it for sale) and they have the ability to check function and even activate all sensors, ranges, motors, etc. associated with engine driveability through an internet and laptop connection.

Pretty handy feature to have in your corner for instances like this.

I'm guess you all moved the position and a custom bracket because you couldn't satisfy the read gap distance with the new flywheel teeth...?

I know y'all were scurrying...., it happens.

It was marginal enough to run, and I wonder if some other patch would have helped.

Wishing a trouble free weekend from here on out.

I hope I can find live coverage on internet TV or at least live timing.

** Does anybody know if 'Race Monitor' has live timing of Australian events...?

T
Old 10-11-2017, 11:49 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Thanks Tim. It's a few years ago now but my recollection is that the Clewett was ok but the Motec didn't really like it. So I had a 60-2 flywheel made although we didn't realise that the way the teeth were cut has been giving us some issues too. However that has been solved by relocating and switching to a Mag sensor. Well we'll see in a few hours I hope. :-)
Old 10-11-2017, 12:56 PM
Penguinracer
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Thanks for that Patrick.

I wish you guys good fortune - I'm sure you'll thrive if you don't have a sensor issue.

While Rod's big-budget build is undoubtedly very impressive for moving the goal-posts on the limits of this platform (and it's barely still a 944/968) your build is more relatable for most of us with more modest aspirations - I hope you really trouble those high-HP Evos!

I'll give the Clewett a go as it makes sensor access easier - but time will tell.

Tim
Old 10-11-2017, 04:39 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Man, now I see why you targeted more torque with this engine.

The fast turbo cars...., when they crank the wheel at a couple of the sharper right handers, (WTAC but could have been another track), there is 2-3 seconds lost just scrubbing speed with the front tires waiting on the power to come.

With the missed 2016 event, since your car has been there last, the top slot was upped by at least one full second too.

T
Old 10-12-2017, 09:19 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

On Facebook WTAC live feed I heard something about a fire. Any one have details?
Old 10-12-2017, 11:18 PM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by refresh951
On Facebook WTAC live feed I heard something about a fire. Any one have details?
https://www.worldtimeattack.com/inde...hallenge-2017/

Bummer
Old 10-12-2017, 11:21 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

oh FFS...Pat just can't catch a break with this thing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 618.2whp @ 17psi