Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Starter Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 09:59 PM
Dave W.
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Starter Upgrade?

Does anyone know of a better starter? My starter still works, but it cranks slowly. It looks stock and original, so I'm thinking of replacing it simply due to it's age. I've already checked for other reasons for slow cranking, my battery is good and only 6 months old, all grounds have been cleaned. Is there any hope of quicker starting or is this normal for these cars?
Thanks for any input!
Old 10-08-2017, 10:07 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave W.
Does anyone know of a better starter? My starter still works, but it cranks slowly. It looks stock and original, so I'm thinking of replacing it simply due to it's age. I've already checked for other reasons for slow cranking, my battery is good and only 6 months old, all grounds have been cleaned. Is there any hope of quicker starting or is this normal for these cars?
Thanks for any input!
Probably not what you are hoping for, but I can say that a starter rebuilt by Bosch itself (which comes in a fancy Bosch box, etc.) seems to crank better than cheap rebuilds from the local auto parts stores. I also noticed a clear improvement in crank power after replacing the very old factory power harness to the alternator and starter.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:28 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

http://garage.ideola.com/prod-ElectricsUpgrades.html
Old 10-08-2017, 10:40 PM
Dave W.
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SamGrant951
OK!
That vid tells me all I need to know.
thanks!
Old 10-08-2017, 10:49 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Ah jeez, thanks Sam, now I need one of those...
Old 10-08-2017, 10:58 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 the Hitorque starters from Ideolas garage are great. I've got one in my turbo.

They're smaller, and from memory require less amps to crank over.
Old 10-09-2017, 05:39 AM
willrobinson
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Probably not what you are hoping for, but I can say that a starter rebuilt by Bosch itself (which comes in a fancy Bosch box, etc.) seems to crank better than cheap rebuilds from the local auto parts stores. I also noticed a clear improvement in crank power after replacing the very old factory power harness to the alternator and starter.
This ^^^
Also, a little known fact, cheaper or old batteries are bad for starter motors as the voltage drops off when cranking and they induce more current to cope. I frequently test batteries in my work in machinery, Bosch and Varta are about the only few here in Australia that exceed or hold their Cold Cranking Amps CCA with age, most cheaper brands, don't even make their rated CCA spec brand new. It may be worth getting your battery load tested.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:33 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

a lot of 944s are still using old starters - they make a very distinct, laboring sound when cranking over.

a reman/new 944 starter will make the car crank unbelievably quick !
Old 10-09-2017, 01:55 PM
Dave W.
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
a lot of 944s are still using old starters - they make a very distinct, laboring sound when cranking over.
Yes I know. My engine is even more sensitive to a weak starter. It's a 2.85L with high compression. When cranking I can hear the engine nearly stop each time a cylinder comes up on the compression stroke.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:32 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by willrobinson
This ^^^
Also, a little known fact, cheaper or old batteries are bad for starter motors as the voltage drops off when cranking and they induce more current to cope. I frequently test batteries in my work in machinery, Bosch and Varta are about the only few here in Australia that exceed or hold their Cold Cranking Amps CCA with age, most cheaper brands, don't even make their rated CCA spec brand new. It may be worth getting your battery load tested.
I use to have one of those century batteries in mine. after 2 or so years it died, i couldn't crank the engine. Upgraded to a Bosch s4 battery. Best thing i've done. It never fails to crank. can't remember what the CCA was, but its far more than recommended.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:38 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave W.
Yes I know. My engine is even more sensitive to a weak starter. It's a 2.85L with high compression. When cranking I can hear the engine nearly stop each time a cylinder comes up on the compression stroke.
if you get a new 944 starter the first time you use it youll be confused, it runs so much faster the sound is very high pitched compared to what you're probably used to.

no experience with the ideola unit but i've heard its good too.

Quick Reply: Starter Upgrade?