Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Turbo / Crossover reinstall tips

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 09:04 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts
Default Turbo / Crossover reinstall tips

Starting today. Having read lots already, I'll try to only post Qs I don't recall discussed already.

First one: do I oil the Turbo mount o-ring and it's oil line brother? What about AOS seals?

Actually, is it general practice to put oil on all rubber o-rings? I will also be installing fuel injectors and whatever else I took off for this project.
Old 09-16-2017, 09:23 AM
ekoz
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In general I do. Obviously its just a very light amount to help things slide into place. Probably not necessary on the turbo since it has a nice groove. Just make sure its clean. I had a bigger turbo and very tight fit, so It was nice to have someone hold it in place up top while i put the bolts in from bottom.
Old 09-16-2017, 02:17 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I lightly oil the AOS rubber o-rings because they have to slide in (don't want them to tear a chunk off). I don't for the turbo because they get squished in place.
Old 09-16-2017, 04:05 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

I can't tell if the downpipe to exhaust flange has a seal ring in it (?). If it's there, then it's just melted in to the flange.

Is this supposed to be a deep groove like the other flanges? I'm guessing yes. Don't suppose I can just sit the new one on top?

Spent the morning getting the other old flange seals out of the crosspipe.. at least I could work with them on the bench. How the heck am I going to remove what looks to be now a solid ring + flange all while it's in the car? Maybe I really can just sit the new one on top?

Old 09-16-2017, 08:52 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Ok ok... I got it out. Took me the better part of the day. The new one is in.

However, next time, I'm just gonna get these gaskets and throw them on top. Seriously!

http://www.fabspeed.com/porsche-944-...placement-kit/

FYI I'm smearing Copaslip on everything (a copper-based anti-seize). And, wow, did that crossover pipe ever go in real easy. Crazy!
Old 09-16-2017, 10:43 PM
bumflick
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you got your crossover pipe in easy, you must be triple jointed and have the smallest hands known to man.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:25 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

lol far from it; I'm 6' 2 and not flexible at all. I couldn't believe it, but with a little wiggling, it just popped right into that wastegate with all the header holes lined up proper.

Odd, given the brutal removal. Go figure
Old 09-16-2017, 11:55 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

hooking up the exhaust I always get everything put together with hardware then tighten things up.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:10 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

I did just that; finally got it all together. Can't say I'll jump at the opportunity to remove rust-seized exhaust parts any time soon lol

Discovered that my parts order is missing some things.. particularly 2 seal rings for the turbo oil-line banjo bolt and the dipstick o-ring.

Does stuff like that *have* to be ordered from Porsche? I don't feel like waiting for this. Wondering if I went to local auto parts, would they have similar sized aluminum seals and rubber o-rings.

What do the shops do when they get these jobs in? No way they're waiting 2 weeks for a "special order" o-ring!?

As recommended, these three little bolts were the last to be tightened. That is, being the small size, I torqued them to 10 NM. I notice that the flange isn't squeezed shut; it wasn't before, at least not on all sides, but the gap is certainly larger now (but even this time).

Just how much should I squish that soft ring in this spot? Should I try for complete closure?

Old 09-18-2017, 08:42 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

Antici........... pation!

I'd like to know the answer as well. I've got a brand new soft ring on order. Mine vanished, and in return so did the bolts and nuts! I have just two loose flanges.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:21 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Tell me about it! I just called and good news! The missing little rings are located in North America, so they should be ready for pickup by Wednesday.

I gave myself a month for this project. Now I know why lol

I might stop by the auto parts place just to see what's available anyway. The PET sometimes gives actual sizes, so maybe these little rings are more common than I presume.

So many auto parts places around the corner.. and I'm ordering little o-rings from Porsche.

I clearly need some education in this matter
Old 09-18-2017, 11:23 AM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

http://www.theoringstore.com/

Try this place when you get the size.

Originally Posted by martinicd
Tell me about it! I just called and good news! The missing little rings are located in North America, so they should be ready for pickup by Wednesday.

I gave myself a month for this project. Now I know why lol

I might stop by the auto parts place just to see what's available anyway. The PET sometimes gives actual sizes, so maybe these little rings are more common than I presume.

So many auto parts places around the corner.. and I'm ordering little o-rings from Porsche.

I clearly need some education in this matter
Old 09-18-2017, 01:37 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Great site! Probably similar wait coming from USA, but lots of great info and those kits look interesting. Guess I should start stocking this little stuff
Old 09-18-2017, 08:46 PM
ekoz
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought an hnbr o-ring kit..from harbor freight. it was $10....so was the 1 dipstick o-ring from porsche. I forget what size I used but it worked fine.....no leaks.

https://www.harborfreight.com/205-pi...kit-67644.html

Now I have 200 other o-rings if I need something in a pinch.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:42 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Nice kit!

Got me looking.. found this on Canadian Amazon which might be similar:

Amazon Amazon

Need another $21 to get free shipping. Can't find any aluminum sealing ring kits

Maybe some clamps?

Quick Reply: Turbo / Crossover reinstall tips