Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Anybody running Turbosmart E-Boost/E-Boost 2?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 12:55 PM
PaulNorway
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody running Turbosmart E-Boost/E-Boost 2?

Hi

I have a 1986 951 with Rogue A-tune, rebuilt K26/8 turbocharger, 3" Lindsey exhaust, a Tial wastegate, 3 bar FPR and a Turbosmart E-boost. The engine is freshly rebuilt.

I am having trouble setting up the E-boost in a satisfying manner. I want to achieve 17 psi, and for the boost to come on as early as possible.

Wondering if any other E-boost users want to share their settings?

What is the ideal sensitivity-setting on these engines? How high is your setpoint set to achieve your desired boots pressure, and how high is the gate pressure set to avoid boost spikes?

I am currently on 27 for setpoint, 0.98 bar for gate pressure, and 10 for sensitivity. I feel the boost comes on late and rises too slow.
Old 09-09-2017, 01:18 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have an eboost2
I can give you my settings but they won't help.
Follow these steps and it should help you. Also data logging helps a lot with setting the sensitivity. If you don't have a data logger. Get an analogue boost gauge and put it in front of you so you can see while you drive. (Temporarily)

1) set the sensitivity to 20 (factory), set the gate pressure to 0 and you can leave the set point on 27 if you feel it gives you enough boost. Maybe bring it down a little for starters.

2) you want to do a 3rd gear pull and either log the pull or monitor your boost gauge. Look for fluctuations. If your boost is smooth as in it doesn't fluctuate. Leave it. It if fluctuates I'd go 15 and try again. Keep dropping by 5 in till it's smooth or you get to 5. If it doesn't smooth out. Go 25 and increase by 5. But lower will probably work better.

3) Once you've got your smooth curve. It's time to increase your set point to your desired boost level. Go up by 1 if you're near your boost level. Again 3rd gear pull

4) now you've got your desired boost pressure. You can set your gate pressure. Gate pressure tells the wastegate when to open. I see yours is in bar, go though your settings to change it to psi if you want psi. Also temporarily set your boost alarm to 17.5 psi if your goal is 17psi.
Set the gate pressure to 10 psi under your target boost. To 7 psi. Increase by 1 each pull until your wastegate opens right at 17 psi. As from what I remember it should be around 5 psi under your target boost pressure. Use the alarm to know when you're to high.

5) you want to check how it now respond in all the gears from low rpm pulls in 1st or 2nd gear as it could spike at the start of th boost curve. If it does that, pull the gate pressure lower.
Also check how it respond at high rpm say in 3rd around 4500 rpm coasting then go full throttle and see how the boost builds. I'd that spikes the. You need to pull the gate pressure down lower.

I hope that helps.

P.s. Having an alarm on th eboost is good to you know you're over boosting. You can set an overboost limit but the m tune should already have one set.

Also when it's cold you'll get more boost vs when it's warm. So if you're got an eboost2 you should set all 6 set to go up in increments of 2 psi. 9, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17. Having 16 and 17 helps in warm and cold weather so you can dial it down.
Old 09-09-2017, 01:55 PM
PaulNorway
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you very much for your detailed response! :-)

My main problem is that I don't have any dynos available nearby, and the speed limit on the roads around here only permit 2.gear pulls. 3.gear pulls would make me loose my licence if I get caught by a speed gun.

So I was hoping someone with a similar sized turbo as mine, and running same boost levels as I am shooting for could provide numbers which I could use as a baseline and take it from there.

Perhaps 2.gear pulls will do the trick as well? Although I know 3. would be better.
Old 09-09-2017, 02:30 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

2nd gear pulls will rev out to quick. you need to find an empty dead road. That's what i usually do.

Or you'll just have to travel a distance for a dyno. dyno is the best bet though.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:23 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Pauly he is running an A tune not M tune but not sure if that makes any difference. Great write up mate. OT sort of but I got onto Peep about my VEMS and we sorted it out so running much better. Will do an autotune tomoz on way to work which should help even more. Anyway might get you help setting my eboost soon, once I have VEMS sorted properly.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:30 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Should be the same on the A tune.

Good to know you've got it running well.
When it's time we can set it up. Does the VEMS data log? that would help a lot.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:35 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Hey Pauly.

Yeah I can data log with VEMS tune and also the Zeitronix ZT2.
I have still got to make some minor tweaks but It is running heaps better. Did a lengthy autotune this morning and it drove great on way home so pretty happy. Love to get it on a dyno but not sure if there is anyone here who knows VEMS, although I think a good tuner would adapt to it pretty easily. Hoping to change to wasted spark soon too just waiting on a part and a time to get it fitted by Stuart.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:21 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Did peep give you a good conservative ignition map? I would assume so. if he did, once you get the fuel auto tuned, it'll let the dyno tuner just tweak the fuel and ignition maps. It'll cost you less as most of it would be done.

Yes you'd probably need to do a bit of calling around to see who's willing to touch VEMS here.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:17 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyberpunky
Hey Pauly.

Yeah I can data log with VEMS tune and also the Zeitronix ZT2.
I have still got to make some minor tweaks but It is running heaps better. Did a lengthy autotune this morning and it drove great on way home so pretty happy. Love to get it on a dyno but not sure if there is anyone here who knows VEMS, although I think a good tuner would adapt to it pretty easily. Hoping to change to wasted spark soon too just waiting on a part and a time to get it fitted by Stuart.
VEMS has built-in WBO2 and boost control---is there any particular reason that you are attempting to still run external control of both?
Old 09-14-2017, 07:47 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Droops83
VEMS has built-in WBO2 and boost control---is there any particular reason that you are attempting to still run external control of both?
Yes VEMS has WBO2 sensor and it is using it's WBO2 sensor for tuning etc but my ZT2 is hooked up to a separate WBO2 sensor for monitoring purposes not control. I could use VEMS display on my phone or tablet but I like have a dedicated display, as using either of those is not always convenient or practical.

I had both ZT2 and E-Boost before I went VEMS and so didn't get Peep to set up Boost control via VEMS. I am not sure what is involved doing that, so am happy to use E-Boost for now.

Pauly
yeah I think your right and will look into some dyno time at some point. I made another adjustment to it tonight and will do another autotune on way to work tomorrow but am hoping that it is now set well enough that I wont need to do a dynotune for a while.

Quick Reply: Anybody running Turbosmart E-Boost/E-Boost 2?