Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum-72/)
-   -   Clear turnsignals (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/102126-clear-turnsignals.html)

'86 944 turbo 12-04-2003 10:28 PM

Clear turnsignals

Who sells them at the cheapest price?

BoostGuy951 12-04-2003 11:46 PM

I am spraying mine with Black tint hobby paint. Gives a nice clean seamless look on a black car, and they still work as signals. See the pic of DFastest's car in the Auction post.

SamGrant951 12-04-2003 11:57 PM

JoakimJ on the list sells them, hes the only one as far as I know.

Thats where Im getting mine, $140-USD *ouch* ;)

Im half waiting to see what he does with the rear lenses, but I think Im going to put mine in this month-tired of waitin'.

washington951 12-05-2003 12:12 AM

i got mine from joakimj. nice pieces. i have plain ol' amber bulbs behind em but according to iceshark (czar of lighting!) i think you can get 'silverized' amber bulbs so that they reallly look sharp. i'm on the lookout for the silverized ones, but haven't seen any yet.

i have the clear front sidemarkers, too - but just need another set of used (broken) ones that i can use since these lenses need to be glued onto a set of the buckets...ah, i love winter projects...

Mike Buck 12-05-2003 12:25 AM

boostguy,
please post the exact procedure(if successful ;)) you folllow when tinting yours. i want to do the same thing

thanks

BoostGuy951 12-05-2003 01:04 AM

I haven't done it yet, I am having the car resprayed. I am going to do it when its complete. This is what i am going to do:

-Remove signals and side markers
-Clean with alcohol or wax remover, maybe wash them in the dishwasher.
-Lightly Sand with 300 grit, then 600 grit
-put them in a nice dust free place, and spray a light coat every 15 minutes until you get the desired shade. It will keep getting darker the more coats you apply.
-Maybe Clear coat after, I havent decided.

You are more than welcome to wait and let me try it out first, and I will post pics.

shortyboy 12-05-2003 01:56 AM

if you buy the clear side markers do they come with 4 or 2?im planning on making my whole lighting system clear.

Dan Gallagher 12-05-2003 02:58 AM

Originally posted by BoostGuy951
I haven't done it yet, I am having the car resprayed. I am going to do it when its complete. This is what i am going to do:

-Remove signals and side markers
-Clean with alcohol or wax remover, maybe wash them in the dishwasher.
-Lightly Sand with 300 grit, then 600 grit
-put them in a nice dust free place, and spray a light coat every 15 minutes until you get the desired shade. It will keep getting darker the more coats you apply.
-Maybe Clear coat after, I havent decided.

You are more than welcome to wait and let me try it out first, and I will post pics.

did it on my bmw before i bought euro trim... the black will chip off without clearcoat after time, but that could just be because of the winter/salt on roads?

Dan Gallagher 12-05-2003 02:59 AM

Originally posted by washington951
i got mine from joakimj. nice pieces. i have plain ol' amber bulbs behind em but according to iceshark (czar of lighting!) i think you can get 'silverized' amber bulbs so that they reallly look sharp. i'm on the lookout for the silverized ones, but haven't seen any yet.

i have the clear front sidemarkers, too - but just need another set of used (broken) ones that i can use since these lenses need to be glued onto a set of the buckets...ah, i love winter projects...

bmw guys sell the silver bulbs on ebay for taillights, sidemarkers etc. they are an amber bulb painted silver in all but a small sliver so that the amber loghts up but doesnt reflect off the lens

also see bavauto.com another bmw site, they have the silver bulbs iirc

pete95zhn 12-05-2003 03:46 AM

Originally posted by shortyboy
if you buy the clear side markers do they come with 4 or 2?im planning on making my whole lighting system clear.
Joakim used to sell sidemarkers as a set of four,but now you can have only two.You'll find link to his page by doing some search here.

Here's mine with that set:

shortyboy 12-05-2003 03:52 AM

heh?so that price is just for the pair?dang,was it the same price when it was in a pack of 4?btw,your car looks SICK!!!!!!!!

pete95zhn 12-05-2003 05:58 AM

Originally posted by shortyboy
heh?so that price is just for the pair?dang,was it the same price when it was in a pack of 4?btw,your car looks SICK!!!!!!!!
Nope,price of four is still price of four...a set of two is a bit lower...when speaking of sidemarkers.Front blinkers a a different story.

Thanks,it'll be even more disgusting next spring,I'll have it repainted... ;)

sybelix 12-05-2003 09:20 AM

But Pete hey, are your "Cayenne"-type of sideblinders clear as well ?..:D :p

1989_Turbo_944 12-05-2003 10:14 AM

Car looks great with clears on it. Do they fit well and do they have any problems with leaks?

Olli Snellman 12-05-2003 12:45 PM

no leaks or fitting problems

But Pete hey, are your "Cayenne"-type of sideblinders clear as well ?..
I suppose they were amber....
i have several clear pairs in my garage