Clear turnsignals

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2003, 02:13 PM
pete95zhn
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 103 Likes on 58 Posts

Nope,they're clear too!

Power. Lots is good, more is better, too much is just right...

'87 951, RIP
'00 996 C2 L92U AQ / IXAA IXRB IX54 M96/7.xx G96/7.88 M030 M375 M376 M436 M476 M601 M983 ... + 991 GT3 brakes, 997 GT3 sway bars, fully monoball'd suspension, Bilstein Cup Car coilovers, do88 Big Pack ICs. 10 & 12 x 19" BBS CH-R wheels with 265/30 & 325 /30 -19 MPSC2s.

Old 12-05-2003, 03:24 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't sand your lenses before painting because you will never be able to return to original. If you just clean off the face with acetone the paint will hang on fine.

If you paint the lenses you need to get a higher wattage bulb, which might be hard to find. The sidemarkers are 5 watt stock so I would experiment with 10 watt or so. I don't know if 10 watt in those small sidemarkers will melt the plastic under long constant duty so just do it in one marker to start with and see how it goes. If you can't find 10 watt let me know and I will order some, but you will get stuck with the $5 minimum shipping from the bulb distributor. The bulbs should only cost about 80 cents each so the shipping becomes a big deal.

The silverized bulbs are a problem too. For North American applications, the ones made by a real company only come in #1157. They boost the turnsignal from 21 watt to 27 to try and overcome the filter effect of the silverizing. www.4apc.net imports them into the US from Taiwan. These are sold on Ebay as well as some homemade jobs. I'd steer clear of the homemade ones because the filter effect is just too much. The homemade ones are just spray painted and they cut slits to let out more light. Bad deal. The professional ones are plated with chrome over an amber bulb, but the filter effect is still in place so you may want to steel wool off the silver at the base. The bulb will appear silver when off but will light up a bit more amber when turned on. You are sort of out of luck on the sidemarker #1155 in silver. I'm just going with an amber bulb.

If anyone wants a pair of Joakim's rear sidemarkers in clear I have a set that I'm never going to use. I'm keeping the rear all red on my black car.

Last edited by IceShark; 12-05-2003 at 03:49 PM.
Old 12-05-2003, 04:10 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dan, I would be interested but I need to wait until the 15th to buy anything else, so says the boss.
Old 12-05-2003, 05:39 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

That is fine Matt. I understand the woman factor.

I'm not even sure what these cost. I was in on the Finn's group buy and sent Ollie a headlight wiring harness as payment. I have no clue what the prices were. But we should be able to figure something out.
Old 12-05-2003, 05:51 PM
sybelix
Burning Brakes

If I remember correctly, they were something like 120-150$ a set.
But then again, we bought all together quite a set for 4 cars inc. clear front blinkers, and clear sidemarkers, so I don't remember so clearly anymore..Is this clear?..
Old 12-06-2003, 02:19 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Thanks Tommy. That makes it about clear as mud.
Old 12-06-2003, 02:44 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ice shark, do you carry the Euro driving lights that carry four bulbs? how much? all the normal questions etc etc... gimme some info on em.

~Eyal
Old 12-06-2003, 07:49 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Eyal, No.

The long dual Euro driving lights on the turbo/S2 is a long story. Apparently Bosch sold off that product line and one guy here on Rennlist found the lights for $80 each. So I just gave up trying to get them at that point. Turns out that the $80 price was some sort of fluke and only for the right hand side lens.

You can get them for ~ $125 each on sale or off EBay. If you see that price jump on it right away. I can sell you the relays, wire and bulbs that it will take to get them working.

With my headlight kit and those Euro lights on you are brighter than a 747 coming in on a night landing. Over a mile of road is lit up, it is really amazing. Would be good up in NoDak if you brought your 951 to school.
Old 12-06-2003, 08:26 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

951 wont come up, but its good for the dark canyons of home. I love light on cars, its important to me.
how much am i looking at for the 747 setup? any ways to slack on price anywhere? (gotta love college student budgets)
~Eyal
Old 12-06-2003, 08:58 AM
sybelix
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by IceShark
Thanks Tommy. That makes it about clear as mud.
I hear you, loud and clear..
Old 12-06-2003, 09:03 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Eyal,

It is pretty hard to cut the prices. I have raised the price on the FullBoat Headlight package from $349.50 to $369.50. The Euro soared against the USD$ from my last order (the Euro is at an all time high) and even US prices popped up by 10%. I don't know what the Feds are lying about when they issue their inflation numbers. I should get them to pay my parts bills.

So forget trying to cut the price and just save up. Parts prices are climbing and climbing fast. It is a surge deal after being held down.
Old 12-06-2003, 07:22 PM
DarshTS
Intermediate

hey pete95zhn, those side emblems are s-i-c-k! are they decals, or did you rig up something for an actual emblem??
Old 12-07-2003, 06:09 AM
pete95zhn
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 103 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally posted by DarshTS
hey pete95zhn, those side emblems are s-i-c-k! are they decals, or did you rig up something for an actual emblem??
Actually they're official Porsche Club Finland 3-d window stickers.I used them to cover side repeater (blinker) holes,respray is due this winter and I'm going to get those holes welded off.
I now use front side markers also as blinkers and there are Cayenne-style repeaters inside front wheel wells.They're needed for local legislation,side repeaters must be seen also from the back of the car,exept the last 5-degree sector...
We have some other crazy things about lights too,eg side markers must be amber - no red rear allowed ( this is why we started to ask after clear ones,with amber bulbs they're almost legal... ),tail lights shouldn't be all red exept on those cars that are imported from the US,front markers must be white and so on... And we must use driving lights at all times. It sucks.
Old 12-07-2003, 10:34 AM
sybelix
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by pete95zhn
And we must use driving lights at all times. It sucks.
And that is why 951 have build in fog lights.. so you don't need to raise those main headlamps daytime
Old 12-07-2003, 04:34 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Pete, don't you have grandfather provisions in your lighting laws?

Anyway, as far as repeating side markers, all you need to do is chop the brown ground to each sidemarker and connect it to the positive of the respective turn signals/blinkers. Then the side markers will work as normal sidemarkers. But if your running lights are on and you turn on the blinker, the sidemarker will flash in alternate sync with the turnsignal bulb. If your lights are off it will flash in sync with the turn signal.

Pretty simple and cheap though the front wiring is sort of a bitch since whoever put that housing together went and riveted the wiring terminals together.

Because of the 944's body curves you get full blinking coverage with this scheme. I'm sure it will pass your inspectors.

Quick Reply: Clear turnsignals