Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum-72/)
-   -   951 engine (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/102108-951-engine.html)

'86 944 turbo 12-04-2003 07:43 PM

951 engine

Does anyone know how many hours it takes to remove our engine from our cars?
And does anyone have the steps needed to remove the engine?

Matt H 12-04-2003 07:53 PM

It is in the FSM, there are 40-41 steps. With help it is not that bad (depending on how rusty the fastners are on the exhaust!). I think I have about 12 hours in mine but I did it by myself, little by little.

'86 944 turbo 12-04-2003 08:00 PM

Don't mean to sound stupid, but whats a FSM??

Mike B 12-04-2003 08:12 PM

Factory Service Manual...

Also take a read of Clark's Garage Engine Removal Procedure

Ski 12-04-2003 08:22 PM

If you have ALL the fluids drained, air tools, torque tube bolts are not bad:
drop the whole supspension - roll it out of the way- I think you need 26" of clearance under the car for out the bottom; 7 hrs, out the top, again 6-8 depending on if you want to pull the radiator.

Spray the exhaust bolt/nuts, turbo hardware, wastegate hardware, steering knuckle, etc,,,,all with a rust remover/lubricant 24hrs in advance and let them soak. Also have good tools - this is not a time to round off or strip stuff out.

Does it have to come out? We just did a complete overhaul on one except for removing the crank and main bearings, in the car. Check a few pages over of the "jwl refresh Vitesse stage II", pics are on the 2nd or 3rd page.

Good luck.

Matt H 12-04-2003 09:09 PM

Ski - that sounds about right with a lift and air tools, I am on 12 or so hours on the floor with hand tools (and a limited selection at that). I also agree, drop the whole suspension.

MySwiss 12-04-2003 10:07 PM

I pulled mine out from the top in 7hrs

You will save on time,cause you don't have to undo the exhaust , the cross member, the suspension.

To take it out from the top, you take off the 4 bolts that hold your hood,the tranny,the torque tube (you can leave the bell housing) . You then ,either remove all the wires from the engine to the DME and KLR,or unplug from the DME and KLR and pull everything through the firewall. Then you can pull her out from the top.

AlexE 12-04-2003 10:34 PM

7 hours out the top as well, but I was moving at a pretty good pace....

And for once no seized bolts!

2 more days and the entire interior and tranny was pulled. I was little tired to say the least.

blurry951 12-05-2003 02:53 AM

Danno and I almost took his whole engine out yesterday, minus attaching the engine hoist and disconnecting the torque tube. Roughly 8 hours.