Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Weight reduction ideas

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 01:08 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by HenryPcar
The most effective weight loss is by eliminating the sunroof. You save at least 60 lbs at a position that affects the most in handling which is at the very top of the roof line. Having said that, unless you custom order it from the factory without the sunroof, you are not going to find one in the used market.
yup sunroofs are big pigs. Texas performance concepts. = 3 lbs. Fiberglass
Old 09-11-2018, 01:55 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

The most effective weight loss is by eliminating the sunroof. You save at least 60 lbs at a position that affects the most in handling which is at the very top of the roof line. Having said that, unless you custom order it from the factory without the sunroof, you are not going to find one in the used market.
Lol - no way is the sunroof anywhere near 60 pounds, although I realize it feels more like 600 lbs when trying to wrestle it into position. It amazes me how much of an exagerrated idea people have about the weight of the components on these cars. I weighed mine once, and I seem to remember it being about 24 lbs. But yes, a 3 lb version is a big savings. The track I drive on is very technical, with a top speed of only about 80 mph, so I usually drive with the sunroof off, which I realize isn't optimal from an aerodynamic standpoint, but I suspect the weight savings compensates for the loss of downforce at my track.
Old 09-11-2018, 03:09 PM
sm
Drifting

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Maybe the 60 lbs is from the roof panel, structural reinforcement and the drive mechanism?

What reinforcement to the roof chassis would be required to use the carbon fiber roof on a street car (ie NO cage)? I won’t give up weight if it compromises safety.
Old 09-11-2018, 03:23 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Cloud9...68
Lol - no way is the sunroof anywhere near 60 pounds, although I realize it feels more like 600 lbs when trying to wrestle it into position. It amazes me how much of an exagerrated idea people have about the weight of the components on these cars. I weighed mine once, and I seem to remember it being about 24 lbs. But yes, a 3 lb version is a big savings. The track I drive on is very technical, with a top speed of only about 80 mph, so I usually drive with the sunroof off, which I realize isn't optimal from an aerodynamic standpoint, but I suspect the weight savings compensates for the loss of downforce at my track.
A sunroof is more than just a cutout on the roof. Did you weigh it with the motor, frame, wind deflector, the track , the moving assembly, the structural re-enforcement, the drainage conduits, and the double layered wall ? 60 lbs for the sunroof is not an exagerration, if anything inclusive it'll come to more than that.
Old 09-11-2018, 03:45 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

A sunroof is more than just a cutout on the roof. Did you weigh it with the motor, frame, wind deflector, the track , the moving assembly, the structural re-enforcement, the drainage conduits, and the double layered wall ? 60 lbs for the sunroof is not an exagerration, if anything inclusive it'll come to more than that.
Not trying to argue but I seriously doubt it.

The extra sheet metal might....., might be 3-4 lbs. tops.

T

Old 09-11-2018, 04:21 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Yeah, I agree with 951and944S. I stipped out all the components you're describing, and weighed everything, and it only came to a handful of pounds, so maybe 30 pounds for the panel and all the removable components. But I did misinterpret your post a little - I did think you were referring to the panel by itself. Maybe with the structural components, it would be significantly more, but I still have a hard time seeing 60 pounds.
Old 09-11-2018, 05:07 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Yeah, I agree with 951and944S. I stipped out all the components you're describing, and weighed everything, and it only came to a handful of pounds, so maybe 30 pounds for the panel and all the removable components. But I did misinterpret your post a little - I did think you were referring to the panel by itself. Maybe with the structural components, it would be significantly more, but I still have a hard time seeing 60 pounds.
I don't think we can definitively agree on the weight of the sunroof and all its components. However, one thing is for sure, the weight is substantial in terms of having any impact on performance. All that weight is at the worst location possible at the top of the roof. Given a choice I would pay extra just to get a used 997.2 without the sunroof, but I finally given up that idea because it was impossible to find one. Another reason was the rattling that I just recently been able to rectify that came from the sunroof.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:57 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Agreed. Although, I really enjoy driving it with the sunroof off, both on the road and at the track, but I do agree a sunroof delete version would be the optimum in terms of performance.

What part of Norther California are you in? I grew up in Marin County in the Bay Area, and went to Cal Berkeley (Chem E)
Old 09-11-2018, 10:28 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Agreed. Although, I really enjoy driving it with the sunroof off, both on the road and at the track, but I do agree a sunroof delete version would be the optimum in terms of performance.

What part of Norther California are you in? I grew up in Marin County in the Bay Area, and went to Cal Berkeley (Chem E)
Worked for Apple, but retired quite a few years now. Currently living in Union City. If you ever come up this way, he can meet up. Just drop me a line.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:43 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

In Peter Morgan’s great book on the 924/944/968 he states that the cars fitted with a sunroof also had additional steel in the roof area to stiffen it due to the opening. That extra metal is directly attributed to and adds to the overall weight of the sunroof assembly. I don’t have a non-sunroof car but it would be interesting to see a stripped out interior roof area from one to compare it to the sunroof model.

Old 09-11-2018, 11:39 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by sm
What reinforcement to the roof chassis would be required to use the carbon fiber roof on a street car (ie NO cage)? I won’t give up weight if it compromises safety.
You would have to do it very strategically. It would be extremely difficult to do structurally; you would need to analyze how the existing roof resolves forces and retain or sufficiently replace those elements. There are also small logistical things; since there is no cage the shell would need to be braced prior to removal and during the entire installation. The entire interior and glass would have to be removed. Not only to properly brace the chassis, but because you would likely need to do welding.

Even if you did manage to install it, you could still run into issues with flexing as there is no cage to minimize chassis flex. The CF would flex differently than the steel and would likely crack or pop out unless you use the same glues and methods an auto manufacturer would use to bond the panel in place.

Even if all that is done, you might still run into some issues unless the bare shell is digitally modeled and analyzed or undergoes extensive testing on a chassis rig in order to flush out any issues in chassis flexing.

The way modern cars do it, so far as I can tell, is the pillars and longitudinal connecting beam is all steel (or aluminum in certain cases). The insert between these members can be CF (there may be some underlying transverse beams in steel and/or aluminum). The only instance I know of where the whole roof (including pillars and beams) is CF is if the entire shell is CF, like a supercar.

Last edited by FrenchToast; 09-11-2018 at 11:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Weight reduction ideas