Notices

a little OT: Would a civic with a b16a supercharged beat my 951?

Old 11-30-2003, 11:26 PM
BoostGuy951
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everythng but the cheap part .
My Rabbit was $300. 1.8Ts are not that expensive. We'll compare money spent and 1/4 times when we both complete the project.

Heres to sleepers!
Old 11-30-2003, 11:35 PM
Songzzz
User

There are lots mad civics over in the fareast. I was once suprised and smoked by one, in my equally mad WRX. .....

One thing though, I know and have heard of more civics (than any other cars) pront to crash and for drivers to lose their lives ....
Old 12-01-2003, 12:00 AM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Lots of 1/4 mile talk about hondas,but how well do they stop and turn without major work? I also second the crash worthiness issue as well. I've seen some pretty severe 944 wrecks that the driver and occupants walk from. Yes, it is easy to make hp from a 'Stang, but they don't turn or stop worth spit in stock form unless you get the latest Cobra. I guess the point I'm heading to is that there is more to driving than a 1/4 mile blast.

Back to the original thread, I'm not entirely sure about who'd win. Maybe the Civic on 1/8 mile, or possibly 1/4. Things change dramatically on a road course IMO.
Old 12-01-2003, 02:04 PM
rage2
User

Originally posted by Dave951M
Lots of 1/4 mile talk about hondas,but how well do they stop and turn without major work? I also second the crash worthiness issue as well. I've seen some pretty severe 944 wrecks that the driver and occupants walk from. Yes, it is easy to make hp from a 'Stang, but they don't turn or stop worth spit in stock form unless you get the latest Cobra. I guess the point I'm heading to is that there is more to driving than a 1/4 mile blast.

Back to the original thread, I'm not entirely sure about who'd win. Maybe the Civic on 1/8 mile, or possibly 1/4. Things change dramatically on a road course IMO.
Handling and braking... another misconception .

http://members.shaw.ca/quickr4agMAIN/civic.htm

Buddy's Civic, 1500S... owns the solo2 events on raw times.

As for crash worthiness, I think if I crashed in the civic, I'd die .
Old 12-01-2003, 02:19 PM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

That's a SoloII event, what about lap after lap after lap? I don't doubt that there are some fast civics out there, but I have yet to hear of anyone doing track days or DE with them without serious modifications.
Old 12-01-2003, 02:25 PM
OriginalSterm
Addict
Rennlist Member

At the DE I went to at Watkins Glen this year, the only Honda product spit it's oil and coolant out on the track 3/4 of the way around it's first lap (warm up lap).

At the end of the weekend, I needed to add 1 quart of oil.
Old 12-01-2003, 04:36 PM
rage2
User

Originally posted by Dave951M
That's a SoloII event, what about lap after lap after lap? I don't doubt that there are some fast civics out there, but I have yet to hear of anyone doing track days or DE with them without serious modifications.
I have a car for that too.

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.p...threadid=18028

I have telemetry on this civic which I can upload and show you, it makes about 190hp flywheel and can outcorner and outbrake a Z06.

At our local roadcourse (a power course, which has 2 straights, one 1/2 mile the other 1/4 mile) this car pulls 1:27's. As a comparison, the Z06 pulls 1:23's, my AMG pulls 1:26's, stock STI w/stock tires pulls 1:29's, and my 951 (on pump gas and street tires) pulls 1:29's. Top speed down the main straight in the civic is 180km/h, 240km/h for the Z06, 225km/h in the AMG, 205km/h in the STi, 240km/h in the 944.

The car's part of a lapping club that I'm in, and it runs all day reliably. The motor was put together with spare parts left over from other transplants. There are a few other turbo civics out there that run the roadcourse, again, as long as the tuning is done right, it's as reliable as stock. I don't know those guys too well, so I don't have laptimes/telemetry on them.

Of course, 99% of the civics out there won't be able to corner as well as this civic, that's because 99% of the guys that mod civic are there for the big wings, or drag only. Not many serious roadcourse/solo2 civic guys out there.
Old 12-01-2003, 04:48 PM
rage2
User

Originally posted by rage2
There are a few other turbo civics out there that run the roadcourse, again, as long as the tuning is done right, it's as reliable as stock. I don't know those guys too well, so I don't have laptimes/telemetry on them.
OK I sorta lied .

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.p...threadid=19538

Supercharged Prelude... no intercooler either. Show car, featured in May 2002 superstreet. Goes to a lot of track days, runs 1:31's due to weight .
Old 12-02-2003, 03:04 PM
944S2NUT
Super User

Originally posted by patrat
I recently went to a dyno day at a honda tuning shop. The numbers those cars were putting down made my jaw drop. The top pull of the day was off their drag civic, which put down over 800whp (boosted, bottled) And some prelude pulled 600 with boost and bottle. Absolutely sickening.

But yeah, low weight will really help a car in accelerating. Heck, somebody made a 10sec geo storm, with a 1.6L motor.
The newer preludes aren't light wieght, they wiegh as much as out 944 I believe.
Old 12-02-2003, 06:50 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Track and solo II are very different indeed. Almost any car can go out there and run "cheaply", but you make different sacrifices. Hondas will probably need more than just pads and fluid in the braking department forexample. Why compare a turbocharged, gutted honda to a street driven, slightly modified 944 t?
Ahmet

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: