Vitesse MoMonitor users question

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 05:44 PM
topley
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vitesse MoMonitor users question

Hi guys,
About to take my race car to the track for the first time since I put a 951 motor with a VMaf+ in it (formerly it was a 944 spec car.) The MoMonitor was great for diagnosing all the little issues a swap like this can have and great for getting the car tuned on a dyno. Out on a race track would be another story. My big old laptop is not something that I would want to bolt into my car even if it was up to the abuse... I'm thinking a small windows (8.1 or 10?) touch tablet might be feasible mounted to the tunnel ahead of my gear shift for real time data logging. Anyone have anything that works? Any ideas welcome.
Thanks!
Jay
Old 07-17-2017, 07:28 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

a small box with padding inside screwed to the other side of the trans tunnel would be convenient and out of the way....do you think you need to SEE the screen while going?
Old 07-17-2017, 08:07 PM
topley
Instructor

I don't think I need to see it when on the track, but I could think of times when it would be helpful to do so if I were diagnosing a problem. I will need to stop and start it though (could easily see a delay on the grid that would have me turn the car off for a while and need to restart and set a capture...) But mostly because my laptop is a 17" model and is big and heavy and I don't even think it has a solid state drive (its pretty old... and my newer one is a Mac so that doesn't help.) I figure if anyone has gotten a tablet to work for this it would be great to find out what works. Windows tablets can be had new for under $70, though I'd hate to throw $70 away. Otherwise I'll probably be the guinea pig.
Thanks
Old 07-17-2017, 09:20 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

There are several data loggers on the market. I would look at something like that instead. Most are relatively small and easily mounted. They also will allow for logging while racing etc. Kind of curious that some one would sell a data logger with no memory.

You may want to transfer this thread to the Racing and DE Forum as that is where most of the gurus for this sort of thing hang out.

Last edited by rlm328; 07-17-2017 at 10:01 PM.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:43 AM
topley
Instructor

Clearly a dedicated race data logger is the way to go. I have a traqmate that I've used for years and still love but I'll need to get with the modern age and get a unit that does everything else... eventually. Right now I'm just trying to get the car out on the track and make sure it won't blow up. Already have the MoMonitor so if it'll work with a $100 tablet and move everything forward that would be an amazing interim "win".
thanks
jay
Old 07-28-2017, 02:09 AM
topley
Instructor

Well, I've ordered a $100 windows tablet... lets see if I get lucky. If not it'll be a youtube or reading device for my son...
As an aside, anyone with the Vitesse kit and MoMonitor interested in exchanging log files? Have mine from my dyno runs showing 256hp and 264tq at 12psi... The new MoMonitor software generates a hp and tq plot via excel that is REALLY close to what I got on the dyno... PM me if so.
Thanks,
Jay
Old 08-05-2017, 04:04 PM
topley
Instructor

I have to say I am surprised. I picked up a used Winbook v700 7" tablet with Win 8.1 Bing. It was the only tablet I could find with a full size USB port (as well as a mini USB port.) Most tablets only have the mini and they charge through that so I wouldn't be able to wire to be charged by the car AND connect to MoMonitor at the same time. Finding the right combo of drivers took a while but it is working. Tiny screen and it is a little quirky to open the touchscreen keyboard before starting momonitor so you can't see the filename you are typing when you start capturing a file but I'm hoping this solution works until such time as I can justify a full blown data acquisition setup.
Now I still have to figure out some kind of mounting... Shouldn't be too bad as its extremely small and light.

Quick Reply: Vitesse MoMonitor users question