Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Describe your most amazing experience in a sportscar

Old 07-27-2017, 12:10 AM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
...do you need an apprentice...
Hey Spencer do you know the difference between an a$$ kisser and a brown nosser? Depth perception. You got to get deeper to get results buddy.
Old 07-27-2017, 07:42 AM
jennifer911
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 58 Posts

Jack Kerouac’s ‘On the Road’ is the quintessential voice of the 1950s ‘beat generation’. It ranks high on every scholarly list of the greatest American novels of all time. My dad loved that book and also heading out on free spirited road trips. My first car back when I was in school was an antique little 1967 MGB. With the wisdom of a teenager, I decided that it would be an excellent idea for me and my equally wise teenage friend, Prissy, to take our own mini road trip. She had a bad breakup with her boyfriend and was inconsolable. So, a week on the open road was just the tonic needed.

When my dad could only voice a half dozen reasons why this was an ill-advised endeavor instead of his usual 20, I knew I was going to win. Miss Prissy’s parents, Mr and Mrs Prissy, were a much harder sell. They asked my dad if he thought we’d be ok, he said: “they’ll make every rookie mistake possible”. “However, as a team, they seem to possess an uncommon amount of good sense and street smarts, so I’m sure they'll be fine”. Miracle of miracles the Prissys relented and a few days later we stowed our stuff in the MG’s trunk and prepared to take off. Priss was getting some final instructions from her mom, something about strange toilets. Dad told me to keep an eye on the oil pressure gauge and not to over-drive the dim little headlights.

The thing about an unstructured road trip, is you meet people and because of the anonymity, you share things with them. Things, you might think twice about saying to friends and family. We met up with an elderly couple driving cross-country in an ancient Jag XKE. The likelihood of two old English cars, both in running condition on the same day, out in the wilds of the Rocky Mountains is quite an unusual occurrence. Priss had brought a tape of Etta James the 50s blues artist singing ‘I’d rather go blind’, it’s the saddest breakup song ever. After she played it a dozen times I was enjoying it less and less, and it was only making her sadder. I started whipping the MG harder and harder to get the exhaust note to drown it out. The Jaguar grandma picked up on Priss’s despair and instantly guessed that a boy was responsible. I knew that Priss could never share carnal details with her own mother let alone her grandmother, but she gushed away with Jag grandma and was soon feeling much better. I left the Etta James tape with them as a reward.

That road trip was a ‘coming of age’ event for us and I’ll never forget the adventures we had. Not long ago Priss was in town with her own daughter. Upon discovering that Priss and I were teenage friends, the precocious little miss Prissette immediately asked me what was her mother like as a teen, and what kind of trouble did she get into. I looked over at Priss and we both laughed, remembering our trip and our vow, “what happens on a girl’s trip stays, stays on a girl’s trip.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:39 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by Humboldtgrin
Hey Spencer do you know the difference between an a$$ kisser and a brown nosser? Depth perception. You got to get deeper to get results buddy.
now THAT is funny!
Old 07-27-2017, 11:41 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by jennifer911
The likelihood of two old English cars, both in running condition on the same day ... is quite an unusual occurrence.
fixed it for you.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:56 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by jennifer911
Jack Kerouac’s ‘On the Road’ is the quintessential voice of the 1950s ‘beat generation’. It ranks high on every scholarly list of the greatest American novels of all time. My dad loved that book and also heading out on free spirited road trips. My first car back when I was in school was an antique little 1967 MGB. With the wisdom of a teenager, I decided that it would be an excellent idea for me and my equally wise teenage friend, Prissy, to take our own mini road trip. She had a bad breakup with her boyfriend and was inconsolable. So, a week on the open road was just the tonic needed.

When my dad could only voice a half dozen reasons why this was an ill-advised endeavor instead of his usual 20, I knew I was going to win. Miss Prissy’s parents, Mr and Mrs Prissy, were a much harder sell. They asked my dad if he thought we’d be ok, he said: “they’ll make every rookie mistake possible”. “However, as a team, they seem to possess an uncommon amount of good sense and street smarts, so I’m sure they'll be fine”. Miracle of miracles the Prissys relented and a few days later we stowed our stuff in the MG’s trunk and prepared to take off. Priss was getting some final instructions from her mom, something about strange toilets. Dad told me to keep an eye on the oil pressure gauge and not to over-drive the dim little headlights.

The thing about an unstructured road trip, is you meet people and because of the anonymity, you share things with them. Things, you might think twice about saying to friends and family. We met up with an elderly couple driving cross-country in an ancient Jag XKE. The likelihood of two old English cars, both in running condition on the same day, out in the wilds of the Rocky Mountains is quite an unusual occurrence. Priss had brought a tape of Etta James the 50s blues artist singing ‘I’d rather go blind’, it’s the saddest breakup song ever. After she played it a dozen times I was enjoying it less and less, and it was only making her sadder. I started whipping the MG harder and harder to get the exhaust note to drown it out. The Jaguar grandma picked up on Priss’s despair and instantly guessed that a boy was responsible. I knew that Priss could never share carnal details with her own mother let alone her grandmother, but she gushed away with Jag grandma and was soon feeling much better. I left the Etta James tape with them as a reward.

That road trip was a ‘coming of age’ event for us and I’ll never forget the adventures we had. Not long ago Priss was in town with her own daughter. Upon discovering that Priss and I were teenage friends, the precocious little miss Prissette immediately asked me what was her mother like as a teen, and what kind of trouble did she get into. I looked over at Priss and we both laughed, remembering our trip and our vow, “what happens on a girl’s trip stays, stays on a girl’s trip.
That's a great story, thanks for sharing!

Originally Posted by Noahs944
Mind sharing the set-up/ technique? I have Willow and a ton of other tracks over the globe on "project cars" simulation on ps4 that is as close as I will get to the real thing for the next while, but I can start learning now
I agree, check out Jack Olsen's video, it's the best primer out there for Willow Springs. In my 951 (stock engine), I don't brake, but lift and basically pitch it into the turn and try to "hook" the right front wheel to the inside of the track, and stay there until the apex. The inside line of Turn 2 is slightly banked, so while it is tighter, there is more grip there. Let the 944 chassis balance carry you through the turn; if I do it right, I am at full throttle by halfway through the turn, and can carry a slight 4-wheel drift to the track-out point, which is one of the greatest feelings one can have in a car.

The same can occur when tracking out of Turn 9 at Laguna Seca, but with much more pucker factor as it is downhill and the exit of the turn (also known as "Rainey Curve") actually banks towards the outside of the track, which can turn the 4-wheel drift into a tank-slapper in no time! But getting it just right is simply amazing, makes all of the blood, sweat, tears, and dollars that go into tracking your street car on a budget worth it!

Long story short, while driving a mega-exotic car is great fun (I have driven plenty), taking a great car to its (and your) true limits is simply intoxicating . . . . and the 951 is the perfect car for this!
Old 07-28-2017, 08:04 PM
Noahs944
Race Car

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

thanks a bunch!! sound awesome. A car guy at work asked me what my favourite car is... and the 944 turbo is the first car to enter my mind. That is a good feeling.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:26 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Not dropping below 100 at Turn 10 at Watkins Glen....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Describe your most amazing experience in a sportscar