Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

944 S2 FM antenna help

Old 05-19-2017, 11:23 PM
jp554731
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944 S2 FM antenna help

Hi guys, I wanna replace my 944 S2 1989's antenna for radio.
i have been trying to figure it out myself, but don't know what I am looking at in google. I can solder, but am confused at the wiring as there are at least 3 different types.
there was an antenna on the roof, not sure if it was oem, but it was ugly.
pic 1 is the radio antenna I wanna replace.
pic 2-3show the wire that went to the antenna,
pic 4 shows the opposite end of the wire to the radio unit

pic 5-7shows 2 wire ends for the new antenna. Not sure what the other wire was, I assumed it was a ground.

pic 8
shows the new antenna from a Mercedes c class early 2000's I do not know if it is for GPS or for AM/FM

any help would be appreciated as I don't want to be wasting anymore time googling as I know I won't be able to find the answer myself.

Last edited by jp554731; 05-19-2017 at 11:46 PM.
Old 05-20-2017, 12:19 AM
PaulD_944S2
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

You have a mix of cellphone connectors and one am/fm radio antenna connector (called Motorola plug, 4th picture from top).

Since it is an S2, it should have the radio antenna in the windshield. It is a very thin wire embedded in the glass. You should see part of it vertically in the middle of the windshield. If you don't have it, blame the cheapskate PO who replaced a damaged windshield with a much cheaper windshield from a 944.

Three choices:
1. Have the original windshield installed. There is an amplifier that is used with the in glass antenna to improve signal strength. You will need to find or replace it if it's missing.

2. Install an antenna in the fender. Then you can look like a 924 or early 944. Cool!

3. Install a roof mounted antenna to replace the cellular antenna that is there. It will need the amplifier to make it work well. The amplifier can be internal to the antenna housing, or external. You will need to supply 12 VDC from the radio so that it shuts off when the radio isn't being used (see Porsche 968 style). That way your battery will stay charged.

That's about it.

Since you have a hole in the roof, here's your $30 solution:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_12044U...t-Antenna.html

You may also need this but I couldn't tell, call Crutchfield and ask them.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_12040E...a-Adapter.html

Other choices may exist.
Old 05-20-2017, 01:05 AM
jp554731
Track Day

Thanks
i wanna do option 3, will I be able to use the antenna in pic 8 with the adapters in the 1st link?i also like the look of the 2007 to present Mercedes benz c class and e class sharkfin antennas. Can I splice those or convert them into a radio antenna that will work with my car?
Yea, the PO was a real piece of ****. Prolly is an old 944 windshield. Took the 5 disk changer, left the wired controller in the carpet, took the car alarm(hole on the a pillar and had Clifford stickers).they removed the wiper fluid motor cause every time I move this plastic thing in it's place, it leaks a crap load of wiper fluid, there were fog light issues that caused a parasitic draw, they took the rear wiper motor ,replaced the driver's side window(small pieces of broken glass when I cleaned it out. Tried to hide a crap load ofdents on the hood with a Manila folder Heck, the window does not even roll up and down right. Engine needs a rebuild too. Did some micky mouse repairs to either the radiator or oil lines.
i guess it was my fault for believing him when I asked him if there were any issues with the car, he just said that the timing belt and water pump need to be done like they were cheap repairs. Real characters in Craig's list, hope he chokes on that money when he stays at a hospital and sees the $10,000 a night bill. Rant over~ haha taking my frustrations on hours figuring this antenna out.
i guess the only good thing on that car was the Koni suspension, but looking at his cheap *** habits, they are probably bootlegs or the cheap ones.

Originally Posted by PaulD_944S2
You have a mix of cellphone connectors and one am/fm radio antenna connector (called Motorola plug, 4th picture from top).

Since it is an S2, it should have the radio antenna in the windshield. It is a very thin wire embedded in the glass. You should see part of it vertically in the middle of the windshield. If you don't have it, blame the cheapskate PO who replaced a damaged windshield with a much cheaper windshield from a 944.

Three choices:
1. Have the original windshield installed. There is an amplifier that is used with the in glass antenna to improve signal strength. You will need to find or replace it if it's missing.

2. Install an antenna in the fender. Then you can look like a 924 or early 944. Cool!

3. Install a roof mounted antenna to replace the cellular antenna that is there. It will need the amplifier to make it work well. The amplifier can be internal to the antenna housing, or external. You will need to supply 12 VDC from the radio so that it shuts off when the radio isn't being used (see Porsche 968 style). That way your battery will stay charged.

That's about it.

Since you have a hole in the roof, here's your $30 solution:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_12044U...t-Antenna.html

You may also need this but I couldn't tell, call Crutchfield and ask them.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_12040E...a-Adapter.html

Other choices may exist.

Last edited by jp554731; 05-20-2017 at 01:34 AM.
Old 05-20-2017, 01:26 AM
PaulD_944S2
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

"i wanna do option 3, will I be able to use the antenna in pic 8 with the adapters in the 1st link?i also like the look of the 2007 to present Mercedes benz c class and e class sharkfin antennas. Can I splice those or convert them into a radio antenna that will work with my car?"

My answer: NO.

You are probably going to get more frustrated trying to use that antenna or make something else work, than to start with something new. The other antenna(s) is an unknown, unless you know something about it.

BTW, do you realize in pic 8 that you can't open the sunroof? Or maybe you can but the antenna is going to get broken. Or worse, the sunroof motor drive will get damaged.

Please, do it the right way!
Old 05-20-2017, 01:37 AM
jp554731
Track Day

Yup, knew it was in the way of the moonroof, but just wanted to size it up. Good thing I didn't make another square hole cause I would have had to plug 2 of them instead of 1 lol.

bummer, I wish there was an antenna that looks like the newer Mercedes shark fins. I really love those.
Originally Posted by PaulD_944S2
"BTW, do you realize in pic 8 that you can't open the sunroof? Or maybe you can but the antenna is going to get broken. Or worse, the sunroof motor drive will get damaged.

Please, do it the right way!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 944 S2 FM antenna help