944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

New 944 NA owner from TX - Intro

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 04:30 AM
'89 944
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 944 NA owner from TX - Intro

Just stopping in to say hi and introduce myself. I'm in the Tx panhandle, I've been buying/selling LS FBodies for over 10 years and decided to try my hand at something different for a change.

I came across my '89 944 locally and snagged it for $860. Car is in fantastic shape other than a dreaded oil pressure issue. Top end had an awful racket when seller started it for me, just to prove it ran. Sounded like it wasn't getting oil to the top end. After trailering it home, I immediately changed the oil in favor of 20/50 (Yes I have 1 post and can use the search feature! ) after seeing several recommendations of this. Started the car and let it get up to operating temp, at which time the top end clatter was eradicated. Unfortunately, I do think the rod bearing (#2 bearing likely culprit from what I've read) is shot, due to cold idle having only 3 bar and warm/driving being between 0-1 with the warning lights on and the presence of a sound that I can only describe as being a cross between an exhaust leak and a vibration in the RPM ranges of 1200-2500 under load.

Regardless, I bought the car under the premise that the motor was shot and any extra miles I get out of it are just icing on the cake. I DD it 2.5 miles to work and back and so far so good.

Ultimately, I purchased the car with intentions to do an LS swap (don't flame yet...let me continue!!) but after driving it for about a month, I'm really leaning towards either rebuilding the motor or repairing the rod bearing, and selling the car off to upgrade to a 951. Coming from the mullet world of Camaros and WS6 TAs had really left me in the dark as to what a "proper" sports car was or could be, and even this $860 car has me just as excited in the twisties as I was in my 440rwhp '02 WS6 at the drag strip.

If you managed to make it this far down in this novel of an introduction, I leave by saying I look forward to learning from all of you and being able to share my newfound excitement into this platform.

Cheers.

Name:  E8428405-D6B8-48B4-AC84-F64B1A48A9EF_zpsmt0rhhl4.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  114.4 KB

Name:  35600366-80FF-444B-94BB-B45D9C57700C_zpsh3lqobcg.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  154.6 KB

Name:  035A66F4-6E07-4170-814D-3BADF269917C_zpscbi1tqz4.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  141.7 KB

Name:  F1431B39-6422-45F3-BD1D-E1C4CE65E8D5_zpsyiwrtcrb.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  184.1 KB
Old 05-17-2017, 04:33 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by '89 944
Just stopping in to say hi and introduce myself. I'm in the Tx panhandle, I've been buying/selling LS FBodies for over 10 years and decided to try my hand at something different for a change.

I came across my '89 944 locally and snagged it for $860. Car is in fantastic shape other than a dreaded oil pressure issue. Top end had an awful racket when seller started it for me, just to prove it ran. Sounded like it wasn't getting oil to the top end. After trailering it home, I immediately changed the oil in favor of 20/50 (Yes I have 1 post and can use the search feature! ) after seeing several recommendations of this. Started the car and let it get up to operating temp, at which time the top end clatter was eradicated. Unfortunately, I do think the rod bearing (#2 bearing likely culprit from what I've read) is shot, due to cold idle having only 3 bar and warm/driving being between 0-1 with the warning lights on and the presence of a sound that I can only describe as being a cross between an exhaust leak and a vibration in the RPM ranges of 1200-2500 under load.

Regardless, I bought the car under the premise that the motor was shot and any extra miles I get out of it are just icing on the cake. I DD it 2.5 miles to work and back and so far so good.

Ultimately, I purchased the car with intentions to do an LS swap (don't flame yet...let me continue!!) but after driving it for about a month, I'm really leaning towards either rebuilding the motor or repairing the rod bearing, and selling the car off to upgrade to a 951. Coming from the mullet world of Camaros and WS6 TAs had really left me in the dark as to what a "proper" sports car was or could be, and even this $860 car has me just as excited in the twisties as I was in my 440rwhp '02 WS6 at the drag strip.

If you managed to make it this far down in this novel of an introduction, I leave by saying I look forward to learning from all of you and being able to share my newfound excitement into this platform.

Cheers.
Ah...good deal, a graduate. (from mullet world)

Fix the engine back stock, strip the interior, get car down to 2700 w/driver, join PCA, and spend the $$ on suspension and instructors.....get club racing license.

Texas is one of the best places to be for a road track car. You are in a few hours haul of several tracks.

One 90 minute enduro would equal 90 days at the drag strip at 6 passes @ 10.00/sec. each at the drags.

Way more bang for the buck.

If you lose interest....., I'll give you $860 purchase price back + oil change expenses and the gas you spent towing it home....

BTW, welcome....and nice find.

T
Old 05-18-2017, 05:40 PM
'89 944
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I've already taken some formal steps towards getting the car somewhat track ready. I acquired some M474 Konis - Front and rears via LS/FBody parts trades. I was leaning towards F/R coilovers but these will make due for the time being. I haven't fully decided to take the car off the DD shelf and dedicate it to the track or not.

Car actually developed 3 holes in the fuel line off the rail to the Damper that needed attention. That alone has persuaded me to dive into all hoses, filters, and belts. I'm actively learning up on the timing belt that I'm sure will need attention. Unfortunately the car had 0 service history so I will start at ground 0.

The sounds I assumed that were rod bearing related, are sounding more and more like a TT bearing the more information I gather. That said, the oil pressure is still an issue that will be addressed.

Quick Reply: New 944 NA owner from TX - Intro