'84 944 grinding noise when letting off clutch

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 04:04 PM
TomSays
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '84 944 grinding noise when letting off clutch

Hello!

I have an '84 base 944 that had a major problem the other night. I've been searching the Googles and haven't seen this specific issue.

Last night I was driving around and the car was operating fine. All of a sudden, when I was at a stop sign, I put it into 1st and withdrew the clutch, only to hear a horrible grinding noise coming from either the transmission or right behind it.

I just had the engine rebuilt about 6 months ago and replaced the clutch while the engine was out. (Along with everything else on the engine).

It feels like it goes into gear, but it won't move when taking out the clutch. The engine revs and I can kind of feel the car wanting to move forward, but it just grinds away. It only does it when I try to engage the transmission. It also does it in all 5 gears.

Any help you could give me with diagnosing this would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by TomSays; 05-15-2017 at 11:47 PM. Reason: EDIT: 12 YO pins sound better
Old 05-15-2017, 11:46 PM
TomSays
4th Gear

My son said it sounds more like a fork or something getting caught in a garbage disposal in your sink...
Much better description.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:20 AM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

2 bucks on a blown CV or a toasted ring and pinion
Old 05-18-2017, 12:22 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thomasmryan
2 bucks on a blown CV or a toasted ring and pinion
I'll raise ya to tree fiddy
Old 09-18-2023, 10:01 AM
Fstock59
2nd Gear

Default Any solution?

Originally Posted by TomSays
Hello!

I have an '84 base 944 that had a major problem the other night. I've been searching the Googles and haven't seen this specific issue.

Last night I was driving around and the car was operating fine. All of a sudden, when I was at a stop sign, I put it into 1st and withdrew the clutch, only to hear a horrible grinding noise coming from either the transmission or right behind it.

I just had the engine rebuilt about 6 months ago and replaced the clutch while the engine was out. (Along with everything else on the engine).

It feels like it goes into gear, but it won't move when taking out the clutch. The engine revs and I can kind of feel the car wanting to move forward, but it just grinds away. It only does it when I try to engage the transmission. It also does it in all 5 gears.

Any help you could give me with diagnosing this would be greatly appreciated.

What was the problem that you found with this. Mine is having a very similar issue. CV shafts are fine and ring and pinion are functioning as designed. I am curious what you found.
Old 09-18-2023, 04:45 PM
walfreyydo
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 205 Posts

One of the following (in order of priority)
-Issue with broken axle (look underneath the back for a twisted boot on the inner or outers)
-Issue with clutch/clutch fork
-Issue with trans (ring and pinion) - doubtful but possible
-Issue with driveshaft to trans coupler (look through the inspection port) - doubtful but possible
The following users liked this post:
Fstock59 (09-18-2023)
Old 09-20-2023, 04:10 PM
yugami
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fstock59
What was the problem that you found with this. Mine is having a very similar issue. CV shafts are fine and ring and pinion are functioning as designed. I am curious what you found.
For me the CV joint inside the driver side wheel threw the *****. Everything on the outside seemed fine but when I spun the wheel the cv shaft didn't move.
Old 09-20-2023, 05:23 PM
Fstock59
2nd Gear

Default Thanks

My shafts are fine. I’m thinking the trouble is inside the trans…

Quick Reply: '84 944 grinding noise when letting off clutch