944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Amplifier wiring - passing power wire through firewall

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 03:31 PM
Caesar
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amplifier wiring - passing power wire through firewall

Hi guy's, I want to add a small sub woofer to the passenger side storage compartment in the boot. My question is about wiring, specifically how to take a 4 gauge wire from the battery through the fire wall. I don't want to drill any holes so is there a wiring hole/grommet there already that is well suited to squeeze an additional 4 gauge power wire?

If you guy's could share how you tacked this issue, it would be great.

The car in question is an 89S2.

Thanks
Old 03-30-2017, 07:53 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

Does your car have cruise control?
If not there is a grommet next to where the throttle cable comes through the firewall that would be perfect for a 4GA wire.
This grommet would normally be where the cruise control cable to the throttle pedal passes through.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:56 AM
Schmooey
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just ran a 4 gauge power wire from the battery in my '84, and there is a flat rubber piece on the driver's side, just in front of the wiper motor. In my car (not sure if this was done before I owned it), there is a black wire coming up that goes to a light on the underside of the hood, and there is also a larger black wire that comes from the center near the blower and then down into the piece. SO there was a little crease in the rubber anyway, and the wire easily slid down. It came out in the driver footwell and was easy to snake to the rear hatch area.
Old 03-31-2017, 01:05 PM
Caesar
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you both. My car does not have cruise control so I'll have a look at both of your recommendations and see what works best.
Old 04-11-2017, 02:04 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

I Ran into this EXACT situation and There is a way to do it VERY easy. First! Make sure the fuse for the power is right next to the battery! Then, Run the 4 GA wire under your battery tray Trough the drain hole, Down to the rocker panel. Remove the plastic trim piece that runs along the rocker. The 4 GA wire tucks into it VERY nicely! Next, Locate the body plug in front of the Right Rear wheel. Make a "X" slice in it, Shove the wire back inside the car. Now the wire is in the Quarter panel where you can get to it from the trunk and fish it in. Silicone the body plug back up with the wire in it and a few tie-wraps later .... DONE! i have done this in both my cars because I wanted the ability to put them back to stock at anytime. NO Drilling and no messing around under the dash other than getting you RCA's back there..
- Glen

Quick Reply: Amplifier wiring - passing power wire through firewall