Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Brake confusion... Help me understand...

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 08:42 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Brake confusion... Help me understand...

My car is a 1985.5 but it came with a brake swap upgrade from a 1991 2S. The front and rear calipers appear to use the same pads. The front rotors appear to be about 11.5 inches in diameter. Are these front rotors the newer 1991 units or from the 1985? The suspension is koni adjustable units.

Any help is much appreciated!
Old 03-08-2017, 09:21 PM
PaulD_944S2
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

S2 Front rotors = 298 mm (11.73 in)
S2 Rear rotors = 299 mm (11.77 in)

You may want to accurately measure the rotor diameters.
If the rotors were undersized, my guess is the pads would have a really strange wear pattern.

Also the calipers are four piston. Piston size is different in front calipers, and different in rear calipers.
Leading (in direction of forward rotation) piston is smaller.

All 944S2's use the same brake pad for front and rear (cool huh?).

If your 944 was upgraded (and that's a REALLY good thing) then they are S2 brakes.
You're a very lucky guy!
Old 03-10-2017, 07:48 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

This is the ad from when the car sold to the guy I bought it from:

Good:

Engine (2.5 liter NA) was rebuilt about 4.5 years ago and has less than 7K miles on it.
Alternator, windshield, right rear wheel bearing and CV joint all replaced within the last year.
Adjustable Koni shocks with coil-over springs in the front, and Koni shocks in the back.
Adjustable front camber plates and strut tower brace.
Stock rear sway bar and a Turbo front bar.
Secondary oil cooler.
Autopower bolt-in roll bar.
Recaro Speed seat, with 5-point harness holes, but also works with stock 3-point belts (low side bolsters). The seat also reclines.
Upgraded Chip in the ECU.
Improved throttle cable cam.
MOMO racing steering wheel.
Weltmeister Short Shift Kit, transmission is OEM; perfectly working non-LSD 5-speed.
944 S2 upgraded 4-piston brakes at all 4 corners. (Sourcing the parts to do this conversion will cost ~$2,000)
Clutch was replaced with motor rebuild. It is a normal spring based clutch (no rubber center).
The car currently has a bolt-in catalytic converter by-pass pipe installed. The OEM catalytic converter is included as part of the sale (either one bolts in & out easily).
The car comes with 1 set of 15 x 7 Phone Dials, mounted with 225/50/15 RA1's. Also has another set of Phonies mounted with new Falken street tires (great wets).
Aftermarket Water Temp and Oil Temp gauges installed.
Aftermarket tow hook kit in the front bumper. The tow hook screws in & out.
The car has an aftermarket AM/FM/CD stereo system and new door speakers.
The car is eligible for Historic Tags in MD and Antique tags in VA.

Bad:

Cracking in the top of the dash.
Headlight washers currently disabled. Hoses to the washers were broken, but could be replaced/repaired.
AC does not cool. Heating & fan is fine.
5-point harness belts on the driver's side are included, but are outdated, so not usable for PCA DE's. But work perfectly for AX and other DE programs.
Armrest lid is broken.
There is no rear window wiper installed.
The odometer is stuck.
Driver side window switch is temperamental. Motor is good, switch is going out.
Cruise control broken.

The history of this car goes deep. Starla Phelps was the original owner. She had the car prepped at Intersport and club raced. She subsequently sold to Tony P who owned for about 6 years. I bought the car from Tony P and put ~10-12 days on it during my ownership. It's a great starter track car.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:52 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Couple shots of it from the ad. I'll get my own up once I resolve a few other issues with the car and get it a proper cleaning.

Old 03-10-2017, 08:50 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Today I worked on some of the issues with the car. The ad listed a bad window switch. Turned out it was the terminal that had broken off inside the connector the switch plugs into. I made a new one and soldered it in.

I also fixed the rear hatch strut issue (new struts) and checked the size of the rotors, then ordered a new pair. Also ordered a new fuel pump and replaced the wipers. Trying to slowly get it ready for the track!

Quick Reply: Brake confusion... Help me understand...