944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Interesting non-standard sunroof issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 06:50 PM
Ashman
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Interesting non-standard sunroof issue

So, up until today, my '86 944's sunroof was working completely fine.

Took her for a 2 hour drive, and now the roof won't release.

What's interesting is that when I have the key in the "accessory" position (1/2 turned) and hit the button, the arms go UP instead of DOWN. It's like they're all the sudden going the wrong way when I try to release the roof.

Any thoughts on that? It's almost like one of the relays is putting power to the wrong pin or something.

Unfortunately, the troubleshooting steps on Clark's Garage don't list this particular problem...

Last edited by Ashman; 03-05-2017 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Better title
Old 04-24-2017, 04:18 PM
Ashman
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

UPDATE: Well, not sure what was going on here, but just for $hits and grins I took out the two relays in the back and re-seated them. For some reason, that seems to have cleared up the problem.

Which leads me to believe that I may have a $8 relay that's not up to snuff. Easy and cheap to replace, so if it happens again I'll just put two new ones in.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:11 PM
Schmooey
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad that this worked out for you and I has similar weird issues for a while, as well. I finally gave up on the whole power sunroof recently and am going with the manual setup. I will miss raising the roof when I'm driving for sure, but I've just spent so much time fiddling with the whole thing that I am just throwing up my hands. I feel a little defeated, but my mental health was suffering!

Quick Reply: Interesting non-standard sunroof issue