944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

my cheapest car is a Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 01:19 AM
portos
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my cheapest car is a Porsche

sup y'all, just picked up a 944 last week for $900. Its a 1985.5 944 non-turbo with 150k miles, clean title but pretty beat up.

PO claimed it was mechanically sound and everything was working fine before he got another car and sat this one for 4 months and now it wasn't starting and didn't know why. The cons are : dash cracked, no a/c, interior bits missing, and the terrible plastidip on the car.

PO didn't know what color the car was since it was plastidipped when he got it. He got it from a shop in NC that tracks 944s and told me how this was the owners toy so I'm hoping it was also maintained well.

i discovered the color of the car as soon as i got home.

it seems to me that it is a Crystal Green Metallic, which is cool because it seems like it's not that common. Only problem now is that i probably won't be able to save the OG paint because of the plastidip.

took the battery to go get checked at autozone and they told me that the battery was ruined, couldn't even recharge after 3 hours.

Got it a new battery and there it was! everything seemed to start working fine electrically which was one good sign!

Old 03-03-2017, 01:27 AM
portos
2nd Gear

i was able to get the car running shortly after with the help of some starter fluid.

i forgot to mention that it is tuned and has an exhaust so it was nice hearing it turn on for the first time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMPm...ature=youtu.be
Old 03-03-2017, 08:52 AM
jr10cross
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Good job saving another one! I bought my 85.5 as well for close to nothing. I had the same exact issue with being able to start it with starting fluid but not on its own. Check out my post if you continue having issues or need to laugh! I'm up and running now but a new DME is coming today because the board was actually fried from water damage.

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-and-...t-excited.html

congrats sir
Old 03-03-2017, 09:44 AM
sobamaflyer
Instructor

Just for the record, as an advocate of plasti-dip as entertainment, it wasn't the dip that ruined the paint, sanded it or made a fender red. I've dipped several 2-4 year old cars and removed it with no signs it was ever there. I've also dipped several that looked like yours (with a coat of many sanded colors) just to have it all one color.

Nice score though :-)
Old 03-03-2017, 12:06 PM
sweetskillsrk
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Nice, looks like you got a good one for cheap! Engine looks clean and sounds like it runs pretty well too. Slap a coat of paint on her and she'll look like a million bucks. Well done, good to have you on Rennlist!
Old 03-03-2017, 12:07 PM
GTorTT
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

Ha, just saw the video the other day of the guy plasti-dipping this car with a spray paint can.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:31 PM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

My cheapest car is also my 944. Good luck with your project.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:04 AM
Schmooey
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice job here resurrecting one from the scrap heap....always a noble thing to do. And I sure hate to be "that guy" but I did notice from the engine pic that your headlight motor relay (front passenger side area) is missing the rubber boot. This area will get wet so this may be one thing you want to take care of ASAP. And yes, I know from experience.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:25 AM
ChesapeakeTechie
Cruisin'

Can someone explain the basics of how the starter fluid is used to get the car to start? Thanks
Old 03-28-2017, 10:45 AM
jr10cross
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ChesapeakeTechie
Can someone explain the basics of how the starter fluid is used to get the car to start? Thanks
Starter fluid allows you to bypass the fuel delivery system in your vehicle to verify you are getting proper spark inside the cylinders. The job of your fuel pump, fuel damper, fuel injectors, and fuel pressure regulator are to spray fuel into the intake that mixes with air before the intake valves open. The intake valves open, filling the empty cylinder with the mixture, which now makes the cylinder ready for detonation.

The piston inside the cylinder compresses the chamber through the movement of the crankshaft, making the cylinder optimal for the best explosion. You have in the cylinder gas, air, and compression. When the distributor sends the spark to the spark plug, an explosion inside the cylinder takes place. The explosion pushes down the piston which creates rotation in the crankshaft, thus eventually output power.

Starter fluid bypasses all components of the fuel system and spraying fuel directly into the air intake. Typically you remove the J boot, open the throttle body and spraying directly in the intake. This briefly mixes any air in the intake with fuel and that mix is inserted into the cylinders once the valves open when the engine is started. When you then attempt to start the vehicle, it will briefly run on the fuel air mix, but shut off when the fuel has been burned that was sprayed into the intake. Starter fluid is an affective way to confirm fuel delivery issues. Sometimes starter fluid can run an engine long enough to cause clogged injectors to free, thus fixing a potential fuel delivery problem.

I have a video of the fuel delivery system in a 944 if it helps.

Quick Reply: my cheapest car is a Porsche