Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

You can PlastiDip your whole car with spray cans for under $100 and it look awesome!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 11:17 AM
jr10cross
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1096369

Dipped my severely sun damaged sunroof..... Ya got me thinking of doing my whole car man..... Was going to do a MAACO<br/>El Cheapo paint job..... But this may be a better answer until,I can do something better!
I'm telling you its a fun and cheap project. It really helps you to save up for a much better paint job. But I really have to say, I'm digging Duplicolor custom wrap quite a bit. It has a richer spray and the finish is pretty awesome. You can get it at Advanced Auto, O'rielly's, AutoZone, Miejers and it's cheap.

Just watch the nozzle for drip marks every few sprays. Some of the nozzles develop a problem with dripping which causes an uneven finish. But the stuff is really awesome. I just refinished my rims in glossy black from Metallic Silver. I didn't take the old dip off, I just sprayed on top and it came out great! LOL
Old 03-13-2017, 12:15 PM
dmjames
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jr10cross
I'm digging Duplicolor custom wrap quite a bit. It has a richer spray and the finish is pretty awesome. You can get it at Advanced Auto, O'rielly's, AutoZone, Miejers and it's cheap.
Have you tried their gloss spray over the matte colors? I'm intrigued, but not sure I want to stick with the matte finish in the end...
Old 03-13-2017, 12:19 PM
kings944
Track Day

Originally Posted by bpu699
There is a video on dipyourcar.com that explains why doing it with spray cans may not be a good idea. The guy explains that to do it correctly requires about 50-75 cans of coating. Any less, and you can't peel it off as it wont come off in sheets...

Good luck!
the pessimist in me thinks the reason they don't think it is a good idea is because they would rather sell you the 160.00 spray gun.

I have seen there video and it does seem to make sense what they are saying though.

The question I have is can you spray your car over time and not have to much variation in color?

Can I do a fender today in red and a door next week in red and have them still match? If I use cans.

The car is garaged and rarely driven so sun fade wouldn't be an issue.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:08 PM
jr10cross
Racer

Originally Posted by dmjames
Have you tried their gloss spray over the matte colors? I'm intrigued, but not sure I want to stick with the matte finish in the end...
yep and it works perfect. Actually better than when you remove it and re-spray. The product adheres to the previous plastic really well and actually allows you to spray more aggressively with the first coats.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:15 PM
jr10cross
Racer

Originally Posted by kings944
the pessimist in me thinks the reason they don't think it is a good idea is because they would rather sell you the 160.00 spray gun.

I have seen there video and it does seem to make sense what they are saying though.

The question I have is can you spray your car over time and not have to much variation in color?

Can I do a fender today in red and a door next week in red and have them still match? If I use cans.

The car is garaged and rarely driven so sun fade wouldn't be an issue.
I can't image using 55 cans on a 944. Maybe if I had a 70 Lincoln Continental I can see 40 cans. But I think your suspicion is correct. I will say there is definitely a technique to spraying by can. Temperature, angle, and distance of spraying all play important factors, but that can all be easily learned

I've removed portions of PlastiDip from sections of my cars and re-applied it without noticing a color difference. I'll admit though it's only been in matt black with glossifier, but if its a little off, blending into the next panel is always an option. I wouldn't underestimate the options of just adding more dip!
Old 03-13-2017, 01:28 PM
dmjames
Burning Brakes

yep and it works perfect. Actually better than when you remove it and re-spray. The product adheres to the previous plastic really well and actually allows you to spray more aggressively with the first coats.
Does it hold up as well as the Plasti-dip? I've seen a lot of reviews suggesting that the stuff doesn't stick for crap, but there's a lot of room for people to just not do a good job and then blame it on the product.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:35 PM
jr10cross
Racer

Does it hold up as well as the Plasti-dip? I've seen a lot of reviews suggesting that the stuff doesn't stick for crap, but there's a lot of room for people to just not do a good job and then blame it on the product.
Time will tell, I used it on my previous 944 to cover the roof and it worked really good. Again I did the hybrid PlastiDip base, DupliColor topcoat. It seemed very durable for the 6 months until I sold the car. Now I think about it, I did my rims the same way and they didn't have any issues either. I've never used DupliColor only so I can't speak for it's peelability (If thats a word), but from my experience, I would definitely recommend using the two together. PlastiDip is just so stinking cheap at Lowes or HomeDepot. Use it as a base coat then go back with the more expensive Duplicolor for the finish. You probably only need 1 can of each to do all 4 rims.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:21 PM
kings944
Track Day

I can't image using 55 cans on a 944. Maybe if I had a 70 Lincoln Continental I can see 40 cans. But I think your suspicion is correct. I will say there is definitely a technique to spraying by can. Temperature, angle, and distance of spraying all play important factors, but that can all be easily learned

I've removed portions of PlastiDip from sections of my cars and re-applied it without noticing a color difference. I'll admit though it's only been in matt black with glossifier, but if its a little off, blending into the next panel is always an option. I wouldn't underestimate the options of just adding more dip!

I spoke with the people at DYC about how much product I would need and they said that coupes need 3 gallons as does their website. Their website also shows a pic of I believe an Audi S5.

Now a coupe from 1983 compared to a coupe in 2017 is TINY. I can't believe the standard recommendation of 3 gallons for a coupe could apply here.
Old 03-14-2017, 02:08 PM
sobamaflyer
Instructor

I spoke with the people at DYC about how much product I would need and they said that coupes need 3 gallons as does their website. Their website also shows a pic of I believe an Audi S5.

Now a coupe from 1983 compared to a coupe in 2017 is TINY. I can't believe the standard recommendation of 3 gallons for a coupe could apply here.
I can confirm 3 gallons will do up to small [modern] sedans nicely. One gallon will make ~2+ base coats, 2 gallons of gloss with pearls or colors will do 4-5 more coats
Old 03-14-2017, 04:55 PM
kings944
Track Day

Originally Posted by sobamaflyer
I can confirm 3 gallons will do up to small [modern] sedans nicely. One gallon will make ~2+ base coats, 2 gallons of gloss with pearls or colors will do 4-5 more coats
Small and modern like a Jetta?

So a Jetta is about a foot longer, wider and the back half isn't made up of mostly glass like a 944?

Think it can get done in 2 gallons then?

I have to go check their formula and see how many cans make up a gallon.

To the op how are you spraying the car?

Are you doing it panel by panel or do you go the length of the car for one coat, then 2 ect.
Old 03-14-2017, 05:23 PM
bpu699

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Plan to do my front bumper this weekend, as its pretty scratched up...

Home depot sells their own brand of plastidip made by rustoleum... 6$

They also sell a clear. Anyone have input on how well the clear works? How it looks?
Old 03-14-2017, 05:26 PM
sobamaflyer
Instructor

Small and modern like a Jetta?

So a Jetta is about a foot longer, wider and the back half isn't made up of mostly glass like a 944?

Think it can get done in 2 gallons then?

I have to go check their formula and see how many cans make up a gallon..
Small and modern: specifically an E90 BMW sedan, then half a W204 Benz, then a Z32, that E90 again, then a Miata, most recently the 944....

The BMW took all of 3 gallons both times.... HOWEVER, this assumes you are getting funky and doing a custom top coat. If you were set on one of the standard colors (and that's all you used) I'd bet 2 gallons would make 4-5 coats (which should be the bare min really).

My 944, I still had half a gallon left at the 7 coat point (probably yes, due to the large glass area and relatively small car) The Miata used similarly less product.

With complete respect to the OP (because as we've noted I agree with his premise here) but as fodder for the spray gallons vs. rattle can debate:

Here is a very close, honest look at my most recent job...

My biggest question is in the end product/finish using cans. What I've seen locally looks obvious when one was done with cans, they are "splotchy". You can see the uneven-ness in it instead of being one solid color/surface. Have you overcome this with practice?

FWIW Gallons are usually ~$50 each, topcoat gallons (for mixing in pearls) are ~$65 ea. plus yes, many will need a sprayer. The can route is undoubtedly more economical. For me, it's worth the extra cost, being not THAT bad, being within the realm of what many of us might spend on changing fluids on a given weekend.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:00 PM
dmjames
Burning Brakes

Trying something nuts tonight- my local O'Reilly has the Dupli Color wrap stuff on sale for $7/can for all colors, so I'm spraying the sunroof tonight as a test run, and to see what I can do w/ technique. My current paint is beat to $#&*, so even a slightly splotchy spray job is likely to be an improvement.

If it goes well, I'll do 5+ coats of the color layer, then a round of the gloss clear for a finish. Will report back with the results!
Old 03-15-2017, 09:37 AM
jr10cross
Racer

Trying something nuts tonight- my local O'Reilly has the Dupli Color wrap stuff on sale for $7/can for all colors, so I'm spraying the sunroof tonight as a test run, and to see what I can do w/ technique. My current paint is beat to $#&*, so even a slightly splotchy spray job is likely to be an improvement.

If it goes well, I'll do 5+ coats of the color layer, then a round of the gloss clear for a finish. Will report back with the results!
Please please do!. If you can take the sunroof off and paint it vertically it will help quite a bit. Can't wait to see pics!
Old 03-15-2017, 10:25 AM
kings944
Track Day

Default tips

Couple of questions.

Did you use one of those clip on spray handles to make the process a bit easier?

Did you tape window seals? I think your vid says you didn't tape anything? Not the spoiler or anything?

Spaying the hood. Did you spray right to left/ fender to fender. Or top/down windshield to bumper?

And sorry if you already answered did you spray each panel then move to the next or put one coat on a side/car and come back?

Quick Reply: You can PlastiDip your whole car with spray cans for under $100 and it look awesome!