Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 09:36 AM
Borisg
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 1983 944 fan relay

Hi experts,
Fan relay question:
My 1983 944 fans operation wasn't right.
I figured out that the relay had something to do with that, Relay #1 - 94461511301.
I've order that item but received p/n 94461511302 instead.. both relays appear to be the same. But after installing it, the fans started working non stop when the car is turned off. According to Clark garage this indicates the thermo fan switch is bad. But it's not. It's new!
Is there any difference between the relays?
Or some one had the same problem and knows what's wrong?

Thanks a lot!

Old 02-04-2017, 12:45 PM
sweetskillsrk
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

According to Pelican Parts the 02 is a direct replacement for the 01 relay. What were the fans doing before you swapped the relays? How new is the thermo fan switch? It's possible you got a bad relay or a bad switch right out of the box, it doesn't happen often, but it does happen.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:52 PM
Borisg
Intermediate

Hi, thank you for the reply.
My fans were working irregularly. Start to work when the temperature gauge was almost at the maximum. And only in full speed. No low speed fan was working.
also, usaly when turn off the car, the fan have a delay. They continue working for a while.. mine didn't. The thermo fan switch was replaced about six months ago..
Old 02-04-2017, 01:20 PM
sweetskillsrk
Pro

When you say the temperature gauge was at maximum, how high are we talking? Was the car running at normal operating temperature or is it running hot? Also, the fans don't always run after you shut the car off so don't expect them to run every time.
Old 02-04-2017, 01:31 PM
Borisg
Intermediate

The car was tuning hot. Almost on the red line.
i know that the fans work if the car hot when you turn it off. Usually the fans turn on when the temperature gauge is at / about middle marking, not the red line..
Old 02-04-2017, 02:43 PM
sweetskillsrk
Pro

Do you primarily drive in heavy traffic? If not, sounds like you have something else going on than just the fans not running. If you're running that hot, I would be VERY careful driving it. The fans are purely there as an auxiliary way of pulling air through the radiator, but while you're driving obviously, the radiator is primarily cooled by the incoming air (not to mention, thermostat opening and closing at the proper times). If your thermostat is stuck closed though, you'd be running extremely hot, so I don't think that's it. The radiator could be stopped up internally or externally or the thermostat could be stuck open so the system isn't cooling off properly, it's just circulating hot water. I don't know, just thinking out loud here. You are correct though, the fans usually cut on when the car gets just above normal operating temperature.
Old 02-04-2017, 02:48 PM
Borisg
Intermediate

This happens in traffic. On motorways there's no problems with the operating temperature. I need to check my thermostat and fan switch..
Old 02-06-2017, 04:32 PM
jr10cross
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Could it be that there isn't enough radiator fluid in the radiator? The thermo switch sits at the top of the radiator and will not turn the fans on until it gets a temp reading. Maybe your thermostat isn't opening fluid to the radiator and allowing the motor to get too hot. The fans don't kick on until things are critically hot. I had this problem after going into a ditch and replacing most of my front end.

I would try making sure the levels in the expansion tank change between a cold and hot engine. Just a suggestion.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:48 AM
sweetskillsrk
Pro

Good call JR, it might just be that simple. Let us know how it turns out BorisG. .....worse come worse, you can just move out to a rural area and drive open country roads!
Old 02-09-2017, 08:35 AM
jr10cross
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sweetskillsrk
Good call JR, it might just be that simple. Let us know how it turns out BorisG. .....worse come worse, you can just move out to a rural area and drive open country roads!
LOL thinking the same thing!

Quick Reply: 1983 944 fan relay