$400 purchase - I'm scared but excited

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 09:04 AM
jr10cross
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default $400 purchase - I'm scared but excited

Hey Guys,
I sold my last 944 and have regretted it the moment I saw the tail lights drive away. With moving to Ann Arbor, I was worried about space; stupid of me. I'm finally back with a new 944 project but this one is going to be even more of a challenge. I bought a non-starting 1985.5 944 NA. The car turns over fine, but has possibly 20 year old gas in it. Apparently the car hadn't been started in years and has only 55k miles. It's extremely rough though because it sat outside in storage for years. The car has maintenance records to match too.
Here is a video of buying it and the initial diagnosis.

https://youtu.be/x2bF3pGfx6o

Last edited by jr10cross; 02-06-2017 at 12:42 PM.
Old 01-22-2017, 04:53 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Saved another one from the crusher...well done!

Keep us posted as you sort things out. Happy motoring...
Old 01-22-2017, 09:15 AM
jr10cross
Racer

Originally Posted by mel_t_vin
Saved another one from the crusher...well done!

Keep us posted as you sort things out. Happy motoring...
The nerve of some people, letting this fine specimen waste away in outside storage. We gotta save em. She seemed so happy going into covering. I heard a faint whisper from her I think saying, "Everything's gonna be alright." Lol
Old 01-22-2017, 12:46 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

The front lower spoiler isn't even damaged. See if it still has the engine guards under the car. Looks like a paint job and head light covers would clean up the outside appearance. Good find.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:19 AM
jr10cross
Racer

Originally Posted by Humboldtgrin
The front lower spoiler isn't even damaged. See if it still has the engine guards under the car. Looks like a paint job and head light covers would clean up the outside appearance. Good find.
I'm going to give the entire thing a proper cleaning this evening and I'll take a better look at the front underneath.

Update:
1.The engine would turn over, but there was no fuel coming out the fuel rail.
2. I checked the DME relay and verified it worked.
3. Very old gas to the point the hose from the tank to the pump felt like wet paper napkins. And at 2am let go in my garage spilling 10 gallons of fuel everywhere
4. Got the car to storage, replaced hose and fuel filter
5. Fuel is now making it to the fuel rack
6. Car still won't start, no spark from the coil
7. Tested the coil and it's getting power
8. Looked for reference and speed sensors but they both are completely missing. 😂😂😂

Yeah car won't start without those.
Tonight I'm clean and doing the timing belt.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:32 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

I would replace the head gasket also. It's not that much further passed the timing belt job.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:48 AM
jr10cross
Racer

Hey Guys,
So I've identified some issues with the car and started repairing the fuel system. Here's an updated video of where I'm at with the project:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CI_KTQA10IM

I've already started filming the timing belt change without removing the crank pulley, which should be my next video.
check out the original alternator belt, I think this is from 1985!

Last edited by jr10cross; 02-06-2017 at 12:43 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:55 PM
sweetskillsrk
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

For having sat around for 20 years outside it really doesn't look that bad. I can't believe mice and birds haven't made a huge mess of it. Yeah, I hate that people let 944s (and other classics) just sit around for years and years and waste away outside (admittedly, my 944 has been sitting for about a year and a half now till I finish home renovations, but she is covered). Anyway, good job saving another one, you can't beat $400, thanks for the pics and the updates. When I get more time, I'll be doing the same thing!
Old 01-31-2017, 04:06 PM
jr10cross
Racer

Originally Posted by sweetskillsrk
For having sat around for 20 years outside it really doesn't look that bad. I can't believe mice and birds haven't made a huge mess of it. Yeah, I hate that people let 944s (and other classics) just sit around for years and years and waste away outside (admittedly, my 944 has been sitting for about a year and a half now till I finish home renovations, but she is covered). Anyway, good job saving another one, you can't beat $400, thanks for the pics and the updates. When I get more time, I'll be doing the same thing!
When I replaced the timing belt I found the balance shaft belt was actually broken. Looks like that may have caused the car to get parked years ago. Everything back together, I was able to get the car started with a little starter fluid. I still have to figure out my fuel issue but I think I'm close. The fuel makes it past the fuel damper to the rail. I loosened the fuel rail nut and I see fuel.
I pulled the DME relay and verified it basically brand new with not joint issues. Plus I can feel both relays clicking when I try to start the car, turning the ignition and stretching the other hand out to touch the relay. I think I just don't have enough gas in the tank. So I'm going to add a gallon and see what happens.

I hope to see your updates soon!
Old 02-01-2017, 02:08 AM
mdnt08
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are the injectors not pulsing then?
Old 02-01-2017, 11:45 AM
jr10cross
Racer

Originally Posted by mdnt08
are the injectors not pulsing then?
I think I might have the issue fixed, I think I just need to put more gas in the tank and try again. LOL but here is my troubleshooting on a whiteboard of the fuel system. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by jr10cross; 02-01-2017 at 12:38 PM.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:54 AM
Gregs04.5
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

When I tried to start mine (I over paid at $600) last fall, only 2 injectors would pass fuel. All I had to do was tap on the side of the injectors with a screwdriver handle, and they broke free, ran on all 4.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:39 PM
jr10cross
Racer

Originally Posted by gregs04.5
When I tried to start mine (I over paid at $600) last fall, only 2 injectors would pass fuel. All I had to do was tap on the side of the injectors with a screwdriver handle, and they broke free, ran on all 4.
Nice! I'm giving that a try this evening
Old 02-01-2017, 09:26 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Install a new fuel filter and check for smashed areas on the fuel hard line under the car, mine was smashed at the rear of the front wheel well. Also your fuel should be completely drained as it's probably turpentine after 20 years possibly water in you system? It's super easy to drain the tank so that would be my first step. Then replace the fuel lines and filter.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:11 PM
jr10cross
Racer

Originally Posted by Humboldtgrin
Install a new fuel filter and check for smashed areas on the fuel hard line under the car, mine was smashed at the rear of the front wheel well. Also your fuel should be completely drained as it's probably turpentine after 20 years possibly water in you system? It's super easy to drain the tank so that would be my first step. Then replace the fuel lines and filter.
I actually got it up and running tonight. Just didn't have enough fuel in the gas tank after replacing the fuel line, pump, and adding reference sensor. Here is what she sounds like: https://www.instagram.com/p/BP_Z3m1BEek/

Quick Reply: $400 purchase - I'm scared but excited