944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Shifter Stuck

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2016, 07:45 PM
p944rshe
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifter Stuck

The shift **** is stuck in the second or third gear. It has full horizontal movement it just wont move forward and it's all the way back so I can't move it back either. I have looked under the shift boot to check all the bolts to see if any came loose and everything seemed fine. What could cause this? I'm pretty sure all the bolts by the transmission are fine too
Old 12-29-2016, 09:20 PM
AlphaOmegaPower
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by p944rshe
The shift **** is stuck in the second or third gear. It has full horizontal movement it just wont move forward and it's all the way back so I can't move it back either. I have looked under the shift boot to check all the bolts to see if any came loose and everything seemed fine. What could cause this? I'm pretty sure all the bolts by the transmission are fine too
You parked on flat ground or a slope?
Old 12-30-2016, 02:59 AM
p944rshe
2nd Gear

Unhappy Oops

Originally Posted by AlphaOmegaPower
You parked on flat ground or a slope?
It's currently parked in my garage on flat ground but jacked up at the back so not fully flat. I'm still really new to working on cars, before this happened everything was perfect I just had to replace the differential. I know i messed up somehow during the process. I unbolted the case surrounding the gears and slid it back to pull back the pinion gear to pull the old diff and put the new one in but I wasn't think of how that would affect the shifter or gears. I've noticed that if it's pulled back fully it stays in what seems to be neutral but as soon as I push the case back to its original space it pulls the shift lever back to 2nd. I'm hoping i didn't ruin anything I'd feel so stupid
Old 02-05-2017, 10:16 AM
Floyd75
7th Gear

I hope you resolved your issue but if not, I had a similar one an here what it was. The shifter selector in transmission gets out of sync and does not allow shift changes. The only way I was able to get it back in sync was to remove the shift rod lever and shift rod detent. I was then able to remove the rod and check the alignment of the shift forks. The 1/2 was engaged for me, I simply pushed it back to normal with a flathead screwdriver. I then reassembled everything and it's been fine since. All of this can be done with the transmission in the car but I dropped mine without knowing exactly watch I was looking for and expecting to do a transmission rebuild.

​​​​​​

Quick Reply: Shifter Stuck